The Rules - your opinion, suggestion

• i dont like the rule when the ball has to be returned outside of the antenna to the court in some situations etc..with any returns ,match should be resumed by

This will lead to confusion and some unpleasant hypothetical situations in which the ball might come above the heads of the opposing blockers standing on the side of the chased ball. It will be interesting to see what reactions this might trigger, but I actually think this is a very nice and logical rule that should stay as it is.

• This will lead to confusion and some unpleasant hypothetical situations in which the ball might come above the heads of the opposing blockers standing on the side of the chased ball. It will be interesting to see what reactions this might trigger, but I actually think this is a very nice and logical rule that should stay as it is.

it doesnt seem to me that it would create that big problems for opposing team's players,they would have been just more careful standing on the court

• I understand Canter's intention because in many situations it is very difficult to judge if the ball crossed the net inside or outside the antenna when it's high up in the air. On the other hand I agree with Yavor, a change of this rule could lead to very strange plays. For example a defense crossing the net outside the antenna could be played back over the net inside the antenna towards the own teammates like a free ball coming from the opponent and that would not be good. So I agree that the rule should stay as it is, this is something that happens only maybe once in a match anyway...

• Well spotted :thumbup:
    But before making the double sub, they even play some balls in the wrong rotation (marouf on pos2, opposite on pos5). The way the teammates and the bench reacted to this, is imho quite amazing. What a teamwork 8)
    After the initial fault, the look on some of the italian players faces is funny as well. "Wtf, something is wrong, but what is it"? :whistling: :lol:

Exactly! Have the Italians filed an official complaint after the game? Because their staff members have surely noticed the mistake later and Iran should've been punished. I don't know what the consequences might (have been) be in such case.

• I wanna ask a question here. There are some rumors ongoing is Iran that FIVB is considering some changes of rules, like changing the height of the net to 2.50 or changing 3 meters line to 4 meters line. how serious are these changes and what consequences it will have?

• I wanna ask a question here. There are some rumors ongoing is Iran that FIVB is considering some changes of rules, like changing the height of the net to 2.50 or changing 3 meters line to 4 meters line. how serious are these changes and what consequences it will have?

The net height will probably not be changed. That would have to implemented all over the world, and most of the net systems that are sold do not go that high.

As for the back row line, that one is more possible just because repainting the court does not cost that much to do. However, it needs to be used as a demonstration somewhere to see whether it works. The biggest thing is are you taking away a scoring opportunity by setting the ball farther back?

I think that the net rule will be changed back to the last version (when hitting the net without making a play for the ball equals no foul) at some point.

• Nonsense. Where do you draw the line between professional and amateur level? So in 1st leagues net should be 2.60 and in 2nd league they can continue with 2.43? :roll:

Why don't they just leave volleyball the way it is? Does any other sport change rules that often???

• Then it will also be higher for amateur players and I'll never be able to block a ball ever again.

At least i could stop trying then. That would spare me some energy 8)

Given the height on which elite male players are operating, the net height had to be increased significantly (10-15 cm) to have an impact. We would probably see then overall taller (less defensively skilled?) players. Maybe there would be better angles for the defence but overall i am sceptical that a higher net would lead to a "more pretty" match.

• Nonsense. Where do you draw the line between professional and amateur level? So in 1st leagues net should be 2.60 and in 2nd league they can continue with 2.43? :roll:

Why don't they just leave volleyball the way it is? Does any other sport change rules that often???

nothing is the way it is....some new rules should be tried for the better...im not against it
    maybe they should bring these new rules depending on the level that volleyball is played.....( different rules for second league,amateur etc..)

btw...even 21- point attempt also was not as bad as it appeared...bcz in 25-point sytem a big part of the game is progressing with "less excited" rallies,mistakes till the last part of a set ...with 21-point teams could have been more careful...

• At least i could stop trying then. That would spare me some energy 8)

Given the height on which elite male players are operating, the net height had to be increased significantly (10-15 cm) to have an impact. We would probably see then overall taller (less defensively skilled?) players. Maybe there would be better angles for the defence but overall i am sceptical that a higher net would lead to a "more pretty" match.

..lets give a try at least to see what will happen....seems to me that a higher net will require technically better players rather than taller players...there are already a lot of tall players in male volley

• ..lets give a try at least to see what will happen....seems to me that a higher net will require technically better players rather than taller players...there are already a lot of tall players in male volley

You don't play yourself right? A higher net will lead to an international volleyball full of Muserskiy players and technical level will decrease because players will spend even more time in the weight room and less with the ball. :aww:

• You don't play yourself right? A higher net will lead to an international volleyball full of Muserskiy players and technical level will decrease because players will spend even more time in the weight room and less with the ball. :aww:

no i dont...it wont be that easy to find 218 cm players everyday....there are already 205,210 cm tall players maybe the number of them may rise....volleyball doesnt mean only height....so we can see more 205-208 cm tall but tecnically good players ??? seems to me that a higher net is a higher number of mistakes...therefore..this will require tecnique as well as height..

• http://www.fivb.org/EN/Media/v….asp?No=58727&Language=en

The TV and New Media Commission stressed the importance of the FIVB’s new Video Challenge System and a shorter match duration as two of the International Volleyball Federation’s key strategic tools going into 2016 and beyond.

The Commission also stressed the importance that volleyball matches should last no more than 1 hour and 50 minutes so that TV can schedule a two hour program and highlighted areas such as shortened serve times and improvements in the Challenge System process where time can be saved.

And what's going to happen if a match does hit the 1 hour 50 minutes mark? Are they going to suspend it? :S Shortened serve time has already been tried and didn't really work all that great.
    I don't know if this can work.

• I would put shorter serve time, and no group hug after every point. After won point, player should immediately go to serve.

• I would put shorter serve time, and no group hug after every point. After won point, player should immediately go to serve.

As in basketball and handball where are no hugs after every point.

• As in basketball and handball where are no hugs after every point.

Guys, this makes no sense. The play starts with serve, just like in tennis. This is basically an unenforceable rule. I can't high five a teammate who just killed a ball after she's missed her last 4 shots? Or even better, we just had a 20 rally point that we won, and we can't celebrate that we won the point, which can change the momentum of the match? :wall: :wall: :wall:

Plus we can't show a replay of the big parts of the point?

The players are not robots. Each player has a rhythm for their serve preparation. Plus between points, they referees and scores have to see if there are substitutions. Get rid of the substitution process!! Holding the boards is just the dumbest thing. Lets get rid of the maximum subs number, more specialization in the sport. Maybe we do have the libero rule so the middles do have to play some defense for one rotation, but with a by getting rid of the subs rule, they won't be serving, unless they are a good server.

Reduce the number of timeouts, but tie them to challenges, like American football. You get 4 for a match, if you get 3 challenges right, you get a 5th. If you are wrong you lose a timeout. Right now, we have a play stoppage with coaches gaining a timeout (although players are on the court). If you challenged and it was wrong, you stopped the match unnecessarily.

Insert a playing time clock by set. 10 minutes of playing time (in theory 20 points lasting 30 seconds, many are shorter than that) Clock starts with the whistle for serve. If you reach 25 points and are ahead by two, normal results. If the clock ends during the point, that end of the point would be the score of the set. Unless it is tied, then the next point wins.

They biggest problem is that essentially if you go through a 4th set, you are basically at 2 hours of match time on either men's or women's game.