2013 European Championship - Germany and Switzerland

• I'm pretty sure Poll and Izquierdo won't play in any match...he could as well have taken only 12 players :whistle:

Maybe u should decide not to be so sure any more about things that dont belong just your own .Cause first u said poll has nothing for being in NT and guidetti recall her again.And then you said guidetti would cut her but per contra guidetti decided to go on with her more he said really good things about her. ;)

The only player who probably never will play in this tournament is only izquierdo.Guidetti said she is in the team cause she has a good future in NT,just she is not ready for now.And he wants her to feel how it is being a NT member.

Btw i think poll will play in another match.

• A strange story beside ECH...a Swiss line referee was not admitted to judge in ECH matches because he is OVERWEIGHTED :white: :wall:
    There are weight and BMI limits for line referees in CEV :aww: And he was preparing for two years to be among the line referees for ECH...

• Really cant understand why u r so against poll :aww: Just let her to show what she could for germany :)

I've watched her enough last season in Vilsbiburg and this summer in EL. She's one of the weirdest receivers I've ever seen, either she makes a perfect pass or a direct error. In attack, she's just not on international level, she wasn't even among the top 10 OHs in German league. Maybe she has the potential to be better because last season was her first one on high level as professional player, but right now she doesn't add anything to the team.

I also find it strange that Guidetti says that Izquierdo receives better than she attacks, and that her attack technique is bad. I don't think so...

• Although Izquierdo is short she is not an defensive player at all :what: Anyway unless any surprise attacker appear from 1996-97 generation, Geerties and Izquierdo will be OHs of Germany for this Olympic cycle. No hope for Brinker and Beier for long term :down:

• This time i have to agree with hejjdeu. Izquierdo is not ready yet to play an leading role in NT, although she is a good attacker. On the other side that´s all she is. An easily predictable attacker. She might have that cuban temper, which gives you the impression that she´s full a of energy, happy-go-lucky player, but: she lacks the ability to stay calm during close situations, such as when her attacks are blocked or she don´t scores in another way. That´s when she starts to get nervous.

And that´s something you don´t wanna have in such an important tournament. And it´s also something she won´t get over by letting her play in ECH. It will take her at least one year to get used to play in NT. Not only playing wise, but foremost mentally.

On the other side, it is clear that also Poll and Geerties do not have that much experience to be starters in NT. They might not have the same strength/power in attack as Izquierdo has, but in close situations they stay calm. That´s what you wanna be looking for. And that´s the reason why Izquierdo is out of attack.

By the way, i think Guidetti´s decision to have Izquierdo as libero is probably one of the best he ever made during his time as german NT coach.
    It gives him the opportunity to have Thomsen on the field as reception player and have Brinker out of reception to focus on her attack. Hopefully Brinker willl not again cause trouble in the defense formation due to her bad positioning.
    I also hope, that Guidetti will play with either Dürr and Thomsen or Dürr and Beier in a two player reception line, which in my opinion would be the best for Germany.

• I agree that having Thomsen as reception substitute is good, but not about the rest. Geerties never stayed "calm" when she played during WGP, she always looked super anxious when she entered and needed at least half a set to become more relaxed. And she hit so many balls straight into the block the same way Brinker did...I agree that Izquierdo is not ready yet to have a leading role in NT...but registering her as libero...I don't know, for me it means that she is only in the tournament because she is young but she knows from the beginning that there is no chance for her to play, and I would not find that very motivating as player...

• Logical choice by Fabrice Vial for the last 12 French players.
    I expect a lot from this rather "young" team. Belgium looks too strong for France this year but the game would be very interesting.
    Probably a great opposition between Belgian and French MBs :super:

• I agree that having Thomsen as reception substitute is good, but not about the rest. Geerties never stayed "calm" when she played during WGP, she always looked super anxious when she entered and needed at least half a set to become more relaxed. And she hit so many balls straight into the block the same way Brinker did...I agree that Izquierdo is not ready yet to have a leading role in NT...but registering her as libero...I don't know, for me it means that she is only in the tournament because she is young but she knows from the beginning that there is no chance for her to play, and I would not find that very motivating as player...

Maybe calm may be the wrong term, but what kind of player do you want? Someone who might be anxious at the beginning but gets more relaxed during the game, or someone like Izquierdo who is just too self-opinionated and gets more nervous the longer the match runs.

Yes, she knows that there´s no chance for her to play and that´s good! Often you see a young talented player, who might have played a good season on club level, being put in a "higher" role much too early. Often you will see such a player being praised to the skies, but this could be very very dangerous for a young player. Tell her (as a coach) what she´s doing good, tell her what she has to be working on, but do not put her on a higher level that she is and make her feel, or make her act like she is already the next superstar.
    Having her registered as libero protects her from this, because in my opinion due to her temper, Izquierdo is in danger of thinking of herself as a "star" if she would have been given a leading role/role in attack in ECH.
    It is a part of a player´s education to learn that you don´t play on a higher level just because you make a happy face and play "reckless" or just because you had a good season (which is obvious, but let´s wait for next season when her opponents get to know her better) in your club. For her everything starts at zero now and when she passes that test, only then she is ready to play in NT and probably will have a leading role.

Also, many players do find it motivating just to be a part of NT. Keep in mind, that training in NT is much more intense than in the clubs. That´s also something young players need to get used to. It´s not something you just do. It is about character moulding, personality and strengthen them mentally.

• if izquierdo is to be educated :roll: there is no need for her to be put in as a libero being a receiving oh is fine plus instruct the setter to give her only a few sets or let her play one set only every match in that way she wont be "overconfident"

• if izquierdo is to be educated :roll: there is no need for her to be put in as a libero being a receiving oh is fine plus instruct the setter to give her only a few sets or let her play one set only every match in that way she wont be "overconfident"

What i meant by being educated (or should i say being trained for), i think i explained that in my previous post at length.
    Izquierdo isn´t a good player. She is talented. But she is not good yet! And just because every fan keeps talking about how good she is - mostly because of her hard hitting and her happy go lucky attitude - don´t makes her better either.

Volleyball is more than "just hitting the ball". It is about mental strength and also taking responsibility. Both things, Izquierdo is not ready for, yet. Just watch her play and you will notice, that at a certain point, Izquierdo kinda gives up playing or does not play with the same intensity, because she lacks the ability to find solutions when her opponents get used to her attacks. At this point she will attack the same way over and over again. Like she wants to run her head against a wall.

This is something you will often see with young players. They will try the same thing over and over again and are only satisfied when this certain attack leads to a point. Even though it would take them a hundred times to score just once. This is also part of this education or practice i was talking about.

On the other hand, if you would have Lizzy play as outside with reception, what would happen? She will score points, no doubt about it. But: Lizzy is the kind of player who easily gets too reckless and then starts making mistakes. This leads to the point i described above. You cannot get her back into the game, because she won´t have solutions anymore, making hera complete or almost complete fall out.

Also, if she was to play as receiving OH, what would happen also? Highly likely the opponents will serve in her direction. Why? Because they put her under pressure. She needs to be very, very stable in reception to enable the setter to pass to all attackers. If she can´t stand this pressure and her reception gets weak, it is likely that the setter is only able to pass to pos. 4, which, of course, makes it easy for their opponents to move their block and position themselve properly in defense formation. If this happens she will start getting nervous again and make mistakes.

Even though Guidetti says she is a good receiver, there is a big difference between practice and competition. And i´m not sure if Izquierdo is ready to stand that pressure, yet. By letting her play as libero, Guidetti is protecting her. Being able to have someone like Lisa Thomsen
    as a more "ready" player in reception is by far the better solution than to have someone who is totally unexperienced on this level or is playing the first time in such a competition. Keep in mind, they´re playing in front of their home audience. Sure they do this on club level too, but the level in ECH is that much higher and you really have to be ready to stand this pressure.

• Raven nevermind izquierdo for now,do u think dürr receive well or she again will start her shaky reception ? :huh:

Btw turkey and germany should be so careful against holland,i guess dutchs will make damage on these teams eventhough they r away being a medal candidate. :whistling:

• no need to "protect" her as i said 1 set of playing is enough and if she makes numerous mistakes then it's no problem just put her back on the bench again just to show her what she needs to improve on and it will fire up her desire to prove her worth for the nt

• Btw turkey and germany should be so careful against holland,i guess dutchs will make damage on these teams eventhough they r away being a medal candidate.

I really don't know what to expect from Dutch NT :white:

The current roster's biggest weakness is their instability...because most of the players are really unexperienced...Only Flier has a lot of experience. Besides, since the absence of Sloetjes, Wensink and Stam, there are almost no decent substitutes on the bench...

Gido Vermeulen talked this week about ECH 2015 (Netherlands and Belgium). He said ECH 2015 is with capitals in the agenda.