Pool B: China, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Uzbekistan
    Pool C: Japan, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Thailand
    Pool D: South Korea, Australia, Turkmenistan, Qatar

Qualifiation tournament for :
    1 ) 2011 World Cup
    2 ) 2012 Olympic Qualifications in Japan
    3 ) 2012 World League

• mosi

how many teams qualify for the World cup from this championship?

and who is the biggest favorite to win?

Can you give us some hint about the teams other that top seeded?

• mosi

and who is the biggest favorite to win?

Can you give us some hint about the teams other that top seeded?

Playing at home is a big advantage so I think Iran, and not just because I'm from it, Japan and Korea also have a good chance. as for Iran, we will play some friendlies in Europe and after that I can judge better of Velasco and his team.

beside the top 5 teams, I think India can do something, but they are extremely inconstant ! one day they can beat Japan and the next day they can root by Thailand ! Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Sri Lanka are weaker (even though Sri Lanka is a fun team to watch), and the rest are almost equal.

• Top 8 teams from a combination of FIVB World Ranking and the 2009 Senior Men's Asian Volleyball Championship and averaging the two

Country, (FIVB + 2009 Result= Number/2=Avg)
    China (11+4=15/2=7.5) 1st seed due to Higher FIVB ranking
    Japan (14+1=15/2=7.5) 2nd seed
    Iran (19+2=21/2=10.5) 3rd seed
    South Korea (23+3=26/2=13) 4th seed
    Australia (26+7=33/2=16.5) 5th seed
    Kazakhstan (32+5=37/2=18.5) 6th seed
    Indonesia (37+6=43/2=21.5) 7th seed
    India (37+9=46/2=23) 8th seed

Serpentine system with Iran in Pool A as the host, China #1 in Pool B, Japan #1 in Pool C, South Korea #1 in Pool D
    Australia #2 in Pool D, Kazakhstan #2 in Pool C, Indonesia #2 in Pool B and India #2 in Pool A

Afghanistan, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Turkmenistan & Uzbekistan are from the Central Asian region and get picked for the 3rd slot in A-D and 1 for the 4th slot (Pool B or D).

Chinese Taipei, Thailand and Qatar take the other three 4th slots.

• China Roster

Setter: Li Runming; Zhao Mudi
    Opposite: Chen Ping; Yuan Zhi; Kou Zhichao
    MB: Bian Hongmin; Liang Chunlong; Xu Jingtao
    OH: Shen Qiong; Zhong Weijun; Cui Jianjun; Liang Chunlong
    Libero: Ren Qi

Our former captain Shen Qiong is back!

Edit: Chen Ping injured in UAE and Kou Zhichao takes his position.

• lol, and he is the only player in China squad I can remember by name. :lol: well east asian names (Chinese/Korean) are a little hard to remember for me. ^^ I know them by face.

can I ask you about Tang Miao ? I saw him years ago during Asian Junior Champs in Tehran and even photographed with him :D I can't remember which year, but he was really good. I know a terrible accident happened for him (broke his neck in training) 3 or 4 years ago, is there any news about him ? is he OK now ?

• lol, and he is the only player in China squad I can remember by name. :lol: well east asian names (Chinese/Korean) are a little hard to remember for me. ^^ I know them by face.

can I ask you about Tang Miao ? I saw him years ago during Asian Junior Champs in Tehran and even photographed with him :D I can't remember which year, but he was really good. I know a terrible accident happened for him (broke his neck in training) 3 or 4 years ago, is there any news about him ? is he OK now ?

Regret to tell you, he had been paralysis ever since that acident in 2007. He's now managing to stand up again...
    and FYI, our women's NT player, Zhou Suhong, is his wife. She retired partly because she would take care of her hasband.

• Regret to tell you, he had been paralysis ever since that acident in 2007. He's now managing to stand up again...
    and FYI, our women's NT player, Zhou Suhong, is his wife. She retired partly because she would take care of her hasband.

really sad ;( he was such a talented player. and a good boy too. I truly wish he get better and also for his wife.

Well, Good luck to China in this tournament

• Regret to tell you, he had been paralysis ever since that acident in 2007. He's now managing to stand up again...

oh God, poor guy, so young ;( Jeez

• Afghanistan with their first Participation at the Asian Championchips. Have they ever played a tournament and are there any past results of them?

They sent their national team to Asian Club Championships this year. (like most of the teams in that tournament) and they lost all the matches convincingly. and for this tournament, 16th place no more.

• China opposite Chen Ping injured during the tournament in UAE. Our backup opp Kou Zhi-Chao immediately joins the team in Iran for Asian Championship.

• Iran Roster

Setter:
    Amir Hosseini, Mehdi Mahdavi
    Opposite
    : Mehdi Bazargard, Amir Ghafour
    MB:
    Mohammad Mousavi, Alireza Nadi, Javad Mohammadinejad
    OH:
    Hamzeh Zarini, Farhad Nazari Afshar, Arash Keshavarzi, Arash Kamalvand
    Libero:
    Farhad Zarif

The biggest absentee is Mohammad Mohammadkazem, our best scorer, he is seriously injured and won't be available in near future. also our main setter in recent years Saeid Marouf isn't here because of his personal problems with Julio Velasco.

• I can't imagine someone having problem with Velasco :what:

• I can't imagine someone having problem with Velasco :what:

lol, this guy can. he is such an idiot, even though he is technically good. Velasco used him as second setter in some friendly matches and then he left the national team.

anyhow it seems Turkmenistan will miss this tournament too ! they aren't in Tehran right now just some hours before the start of the competition,

• lol, this guy can. he is such an idiot, even though he is technically good. Velasco used him as second setter in some friendly matches and then he left the national team.

anyhow it seems Turkmenistan will miss this tournament too ! they aren't in Tehran right now just some hours before the start of the competition,

They can't find a flight to Tehran, either? :lol:

• They can't find a flight to Tehran, either? :lol:

lol, Actually they didn't need flight, Tehran isn't that far from Ashgabat ! :D
    they are here and they will play tomorrow, it seems they were just lost in Tehran :lol:

• :lol:

BTW:

Risultati 1° giornata (21 settembre)
    Pool A
    India - Taipei 3-2 (25-20, 20-25, 27-25, 20-25, 15-12)
    Top Scorer: a seguire

Iran - Afghanistan 3-0 (25-13, 25-19, 25-8)

Classifica
    Iran 3
    India 2
    Taipei 1
    Afghanistan 0

Pool B
    Cina - Sri Lanka 3-0 (25-16, 25-16, 25-13)

Indonesia - Uzbekistan 3-1 (a seguire)

Classifica
    Cina 3
    Indonesia 3
    Uzbekistan 0
    Sri Lanka 0

Pool C
    Giappone - Thailandia 3-0 (25-20, 25-23, 25-16)

Pakistan - Kazakhstan 3-2 (22-25, 25-21, 25-21, 20-25, 15-11)

Classifica
    Giappone 3
    Pakistan 2
    Kazakhstan 1
    Thailandia 0

Pool D
    Qatar - Turkmenistan 3-0 (25-23, 25-21, 25-22)

Australia - Korea 3-2 (25-20, 29-31, 25-20, 25-27, 15-7)

Classifica
    Qatar 3
    Australia 2
    Korea 1
    Turkmenistan 0

Korea lost vs Australia, that is a surprise for me, 'cause my guess is Iran-Korea-Japan on the podium...

• Korea lost vs Australia, that is a surprise for me, 'cause my guess is Iran-Korea-Japan on the podium...

Indeed that was a surprise, but what about this, Japan is struggling against Pakistan right now 8o 2-1 Paks ! and they beat Kazakhstan yesterday !

Edit: Japan 3-2 Paks