How do you like Wei Qiuyue?

• The major setter of our NT, Wei Qiuyue, has been a controversial player for a long time. Last year, our team finished a disappointing 10th place in the world championship, with the only consolatory best setter title awarded to Wei Qiuyue. However, this honour is not really convincing. Many volleyball fans had their own best setter in their minds, who's obviously not Wei. What's worse, even some of Chinese fans dislike her very much, too. Besides, it's said that FIVB's latest qualification policy for best setter has been amended. New best setter in FIVB events should be nominated considering both the team ranking, statistics and judges' impression, and someone thought this change is in connection with Wei. (However, I don't completely accede to it.)

This year, after the preliminary round of WGP, China still disappoints everyone with an embarrassing 7th place even in advantageous pools. But it's like deja vu that Wei Qiuque again named the top setter after the whole preliminary round. Several days ago, Volleywood on facebook posted the best players and the followers' replies totally doubted the best setter while most of them regarded Yoshe Takeshita as the top player in setting.

Now, I would like to listen to your opinions about Wei Qiuyue. Comparison between her and other worldwide setters, or other Asian setters are significant. And taking the attackers' level, receiving level of teams into account is favourable.

:cup:

• A setter is only as good as the team's service reception allows them to be. The Chinese outside hitters are BAD passers and they should be the primary ones at fault for their failures. Wei is a very good setter and she runs the middle as well as anyone. Considering the quality, or lack thereof, of the reception I'd say she's done extremely well. She's obviously under a lot of pressure from fans because she is the first setter after Feng Kun, who is one of the best of all-time, but I don't think it's fair to make those sort of comparisons. Same thing goes for Dani Lins and Fabiola with Brazil. To those who are so critical of Wei I would ask what could she do better that she's not currently doing?

• For me she is in the top setters of the world. Of course it is hard to compare with Takeshita as Japanease team plays the fastest and most beautifull volleyball on the globe. Then is LoBianco, but both of them are already legeneds. Wei should be absolutely top in few years

• The team's service reception is too terrible

she is one of the best setters of the world but her speed is the shortslab.

maybe she is fitter for Italy Ruassia or Serbia

• today I watched two videos of her in WGP 2007 - it was her debut , am I good remember...I thought at that time and still think that she is not even worse than Feng Kun and that China didnt lose at this position with generation change..she has very very good float serve, play very good combinations with MBs (not as fast as Feng played with Liu Yanan, but Liu was more faster than Ma Yunwen and Xue Ming)...actally only thing I dont like (but Feng played that too) that they often set on the left wing too far from the net...but maybe its their tactics?

• That's because we don't have right wing attackers, from 2001 to 2008 (and 2010), the opposite are Zhou Suhong, Li Shan and Zhang Lei(in 2010). Our opposite players should take the receiption so they're all weak in straight attacking. They can only play quick attacks in combination with MBs(like Zhou Suhong and Liu Yanan, amazing back attacks).
    In 2009 and 2011, we tried the right wing attacks by Wang Yimei and it didn't work well. Our team is in an dilemma also due to the lack of Zhou-like opposite.

• That's because we don't have right wing attackers, from 2001 to 2008 (and 2010), the opposite are Zhou Suhong, Li Shan and Zhang Lei(in 2010). Our opposite players should take the receiption so they're all weak in straight attacking. They can only play quick attacks in combination with MBs(like Zhou Suhong and Liu Yanan, amazing back attacks).
    In 2009 and 2011, we tried the right wing attacks by Wang Yimei and it didn't work well. Our team is in an dilemma also due to the lack of Zhou-like opposite.

yes, today I also realised that often Zhou Suhong (or Li Shan in WGP 2006) were attacked with serves so they couldnt run for quick attack...and why was Liu Yanan changed from MB to Opp from 2007? it was because there were the newcomers Xue and Ma in starting 6?

• yes, today I also realised that often Zhou Suhong (or Li Shan in WGP 2006) were attacked with serves so they couldnt run for quick attack...and why was Liu Yanan changed from MB to Opp from 2007? it was because there were the newcomers Xue and Ma in starting 6?

exactly! in 2006 our coach Chen Zhonghe determined to change our MBs from one quick(Liu) one tall(Zhao Ruirui) to two talls(Xu, Xue & Ma). Liu Yanan as a MB is awesome because of not only the perfect quick spikes but also her wonderful receiption. She's a helpful player who can play MB, opposite and even libero.

Liu changed to opp. because in our system that period, opp's most important task is receiving, and quick attacks. That's why Liu was qualified for an opp without powerful spikes in zone 2.

• exactly! in 2006 our coach Chen Zhonghe determined to change our MBs from one quick(Liu) one tall(Zhao Ruirui) to two talls(Xu, Xue & Ma). Liu Yanan as a MB is awesome because of not only the perfect quick spikes but also her wonderful receiption. She's a helpful player who can play MB, opposite and even libero.

Liu changed to opp. because in our system that period, opp's most important task is receiving, and quick attacks. That's why Liu was qualified for an opp without powerful spikes in zone 2.

but what I saw from the videos-replays (I saw Chinas NT in 2006 once and never before), that was the most dangerous weapon of China - the quick combination Feng-Liu...and when she started to be Opp she usually only comes for second row to replace Zhou...but ok, Xue and Ma are big talents and they deifnitely deserves to play both in starting 6

• but what I saw from the videos-replays (I saw Chinas NT in 2006 once and never before), that was the most dangerous weapon of China - the quick combination Feng-Liu...and when she started to be Opp she usually only comes for second row to replace Zhou...but ok, Xue and Ma are big talents and they deifnitely deserves to play both in starting 6

I'm not quite familiar with our team in 2006. For your information, Liu played in the starting 6 all matches in WCh.
    In 2008 OG, Liu often substituted for Wang Yimei as a better digger and receiver.
    Xue and Ma are in some troubles now. Xue has heart problems now and Ma has been studied thoroughly by all teams in the world and her back attacks are no longer as efficient as before.
    But we always have awesome MBs, the young player Yang Junjing, though needs enhancement in her blocking, is very aggressive in attacking :)

• Tell you guys a funny thing. I've no idea but this thread has been posted on serveral Chinese forums and fans there are discussing about our discussion.

So, I'd like to show my great appreciation to all the replies, your opinions are very significant for us :flower:

Here are some replies on Chinese forums:
    http://www.vbol.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=151578

#5: You gave very positive appraisal of Wei.
    #6: Actually you don't really understand Chinese team.
    #7: Fans from different country have different points of view.
    #23: She's overrated, but our OHs really suck.
    #29: I think Wei had done her best, but our receiving can't promise her more. Thanks to our wonderful receiving in 07/08, though lacking in good techniques, she's far smarter at that time than she is now.
    #38: She's not outstanding because she can't handle balls in bad receiving.
    #47: Wei's one of the top setters. But she's just below Takeshita and Lo bianco? That's kidding.

As I wrote, Wei's not that popular in China. That's a shame.

• and why is she not so popular?

• and why is she not so popular?

Eh... Maybe she's kind of below most of our previous setters. You know, we always had amazing setters, Sun Jinfang, Yang Xilan, He Qi, Zhu Yunying and the very well-known Feng Kun, Wei's not as good as her former, esspecially in the realm of the technique, speed and strategy.
    But I like her very much, to be honest, due to her good-looking. :love:

• chinese fans were always comparing her with kun feng,nina song, yunyingzhu and some great setters of china.

qiuyue wei's speed was the slowest.and her organization also the worst in all great chinese setters.

what's more,qiuyuiwei is from tianjin team where majority chinese fans dislike.

• chinese fans were always comparing her with kun feng,nina song, yunyingzhu and some great setters of china.

qiuyue wei's speed was the slowest.and her organization also the worst in all great chinese setters.

what's more,qiuyuiwei is from tianjin team where majority chinese fans dislike.

Eh... Maybe she's kind of below most of our previous setters. You know, we always had amazing setters, Sun Jinfang, Yang Xilan, He Qi, Zhu Yunying and the very well-known Feng Kun, Wei's not as good as her former, esspecially in the realm of the technique, speed and strategy.
    But I like her very much, to be honest, due to her good-looking. :love:

but she is still very young and she can learn...on the other hand I dont think there is better setter in her age in the world - maybe Naz and Alisha Glass, I dont see anybody else now..and is there some other good setter in China, that could replace her in NT as first setter? :)

• Yes I liked her

"Volleyball is a fantastic way of life, really. it is
    beautiful adventure, which gives a lot of joy not only to those sports "

It is our passion gives us wings, lifts us above all else.
    It gives a million reasons to rejoice, learns to overcome fear and weakness.

Thanks to develop and learn to fight for every day
    :win:

• but she is still very young and she can learn...on the other hand I dont think there is better setter in her age in the world - maybe Naz and Alisha Glass, I dont see anybody else now..and is there some other good setter in China, that could replace her in NT as first setter? :)

Sadly, her potential is relatively limited now due to her incurable leg.
    And about our substitutes, if you paid attention, our team had tried all setters in our league. Look at the names:
    Wei Qiuyue & Mi Yang(Tianjin, winner);
    Feng Kun(Evergrande, runners-up, retired);
    Bian Yuqian(Shanghai, 3rd place, NT 2010);
    Wang Na(Zhejiang, 4th place, Montreux Volley Masters and Yeltsin Cup this year);
    Wang Nan & Shen Jingsi(Army, 5th place, NT 2010 but injured later & NT 09/10);
    Li Hui(Jiangsu, 6th place, NT 2010 but exit later)
    Wang Chen(Sichuan, 7th place, NT 2009 but never played)

Because the coach has changed three times, we seemed have tried every setter. However, as mentioned above, our team has many problems, setter is only one of these.

• but she is still very young and she can learn...on the other hand I dont think there is better setter in her age in the world - maybe Naz and Alisha Glass, I dont see anybody else now..and is there some other good setter in China, that could replace her in NT as first setter? :)

Frankly speaking her legs are as fossilized as 60-year-old women.It's a pity that maybe she did not have much time to improve.

Refering to her age,kun feng was one of the perfect setters of the world at same age. Chinese fans like reminiscence although it was a bad habbit

• ok but every of these girls didnt probably convinced NT coach to be first setter and be better of Wei? I really have to say that last second setter I remember is Song Nina, so I dont know anything about these girls :) incurable leg - knee injury? as I mentioned I was watching CHN-POL matches from WGP 2007 and there she had all her leg covered with plasters and that knee stabilizator...

Frankly speaking her legs are as fossilized as 60-year-old women.It's a pity that maybe she did not have much time to improve.

Refering to her age,kun feng was one of the perfect setters of the world at same age. Chinese fans like reminiscence although it was a bad habbit

hmm, but look at this from a point, maybe she is not as good as the previous setters (IMO is, but let it be) but I think still most of the countries would like to have such setter in their NT :) and worse problem for China is in IMO reception and good Opp player