Pan American Games Mexico 2011 - Beach Volleyball tournament

• Pan American Games 2011

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

22 October

Bronze medal match:

Etchegaray-Suarez (ARG) - Miramontes-Virgen (MEX) 2-1 (14-21, 21-19, 15-11)

Final:

Emanuel-Alison (BRA) - Hernandez-Mussa (VEN) 2-0 (21-17, 21-12)

• Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, October 22, 2011 – World champions Alison Cerutti and Emmanuel Rego of Brazil were crowned on Saturday as winners of the men’s beach volleyball tournament at the XVI Pan American Games.
    Alison and Emmanuel defeated Venezuela’s Igor Hernandez and Farid Mussa 2-0 (21-17, 21-12) in 40 minutes, following the steps of countrywomen Juliana and Larissa who had won the women’s event one day earlier.
    “I don’t have words to describe the big emotion after winning this medal,” Emmanuel said. “It was a very intense tournament that helps us in our preparation for the London Olympics. We just came from being world champions and now we have the honor of winning here.”
    “We are really satisfied about playing with the world champions,” Hernandez said. “This experience will help us for the South American Championship and the Continental Cup where we will attempt to reach the Olympics.”
    The match for the bronze medal was a tough battle as Argentina’s Santiago Etchegaray and Pablo Suárez disposed of Mexico’s tandem of Aldo Miramontes and Juan Virgen 2-1 (14-21, 21-19, 15-11) in 1 hour an four minutes.
    “We have to learn from this one as we lost the calm and rushed our game to decide the points.” Miramontes said.
    “Aldo and Juan have a high level, it was a great match; I don’t know how we could overcome that first set loss, it was unbelievable. They played an incredible game,” Etchegaray said.
    “The medal means everything, leaving Mar del Plata I saw it like something impossible and now is a realized dream, I can’t believe it. It was a great battle,” he added.
    Suarez said: “I am very happy after winning this match. The Mexicans have a great level but we took advantage of their errors and got the good result.”

Saturday’s Men Results

Bronze Medal Match
    Etchegaray-Suarez (ARG) d. Miramontes-Virgen (MEX) 2-1 (14-21, 21-19, 15-11)

Gold Medal Match
    Alison-Emmanuel (BRA) d. Hernandez-Mussa (VEN) 2-0 (21-17, 21-12)

Source: FIVB