What are the most popular meals/dishes/food in your country?

• What are the most delicious dishes where you come from? Which meals are tipical and which meals are specific only for your country?

Bulgaria is famous for it's tasty cuisine. There is a lot in common with the Turkish cuisine (kebap, baklava, kadaif, lokum, etc.) and with the cuisine of other balkan countries especially Serbian.

The most specific meals in Bulgaria are:
    Tarator - a cold soup with yoghurt, cucumbers, garlic, wallnuts and dill
    Shopska salata - a salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, onion and cheese. Some people put peppers, olives, garlic and spices, too.
    Gyuvech - maybe from Turkish origin. A meal from potatoes, peppers and other vegetables. You can put different kinds of meat in it.
    Shkembe Chorba - a soup from the belly of a lamb, milk, and chilly peppers. Very popular in our country.
    Banitsa - Maybe the most popular food in Bulgaria. Baked type of bread with cheese and eggs in it. A lot of people put spinach or leeks, too.
    Purzheni tikvichki (fried marrow squashes) - Marrow squashes filled with yoghurt and garlic sauce.
    Kapama - lots of meal (best to be different types) and cabbage. You can put in it everything you can.

That's all I can think of right now, other bulgarian users can help me with some food I forgot to post.
    Interested to know what is the cuisine of the other countries (I know about the pasta in italy, but what about brazil, or poland).

• Pasta e pizza XD :obey:

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• Dumplings, period.

+ gołąbki :thumbsup: (I don't know how to call it in English, it's like "pigeons")
    It's minced meat with rice wrapped in cabbage leaf.

• + gołąbki :thumbsup: (I don't know how to call it in English, it's like "pigeons")

Gołąbki yummy. Am I the only silly kid, who thought that gołąbki are actually from....real gołąbki? I mean the birds.

• Gołąbki yummy. Am I the only silly kid, who thought that gołąbki are actually from....real gołąbki? I mean the birds.

No, you're not alone. Once I asked my grandma why we eat birds 'cause I thought it was a real pigeon wrapped in my cabbage leaf :lol:

• + gołąbki :thumbsup: (I don't know how to call it in English, it's like "pigeons")

We have the same thing but we call it "sarmi". In English it's probably called stuffed cabbage leaves. We sometimes don't put meat, only rice. And more popular are the "sarmi" with vine not cabbage leaves. You know, the leaves from the grape plants. ;)

Stuffed cabbage leaves:

Stuffed vine leaves:

• We have the same food, also: The traditional recipe calls for minced lamb mixed with rice and flavoured with mint, fennel and cinnamon, and wrapped in vine leaves (yarpaq dolması) or cabbage leaves (kələm dolması), but most restaurants offering dolma tend to serve up stuffed tomato, sweet pepper and aubergine. There are also sour sweet cabbage dolma (turş şirin kələm dolması) and fish dolma (balıq dolması).

We call it ' dolma' , Maybe 'sarmi' is from Turkish 'sarma'. This one is 'badimcan, pomidor, biber dolmasi' -eggplant, tomato, pepper dolma

Dolma is my favorite food, especially the one my Mom cooks ^^

But if u do stuffed vine leaves long, it means you can't cook well, it must be like this :

Another main food is 'plov or as' It has 40 different recipes.

Dushbara:

Lyula and tika kabab.

Qutab: A sort of pancake turnover stuffed with minced lamb, cheese or spinach, Azerbaijani fast food :)

Lavangi: A casserole of chicken stuffed with walnuts and herbs. It's lavangi plov:

Dovga: A yoghurt (matsoni) based soup with sorrel, spinach, rice, dried peas, and small meatballs made from ground mutton; served hot or cold depending on the season.

• Mantı (Dumpling)

In Turkish cuisine, manti are typically served topped with yogurt and garlic and spiced with red pepper powder and melted butter, and topped with ground sumac and/or dried mint by the consumer. Although there are many different variations of manti -in terms of shape and way of serving- the most praised type of manti is known as Kayseri Mantisi -a special kind of manti belong to Kayseri an Anatolian city of Turkey. The characteristics of Kayseri Mantisi is that it is very tiny and it is served with yogurt, oil (caramelized with tomato paste) and seasonings.

Kumpir (baked potatoes)
    Kumpir, a baked potato with various fillings, is a popular fast food in Turkey. In its basic form, it is made with potatoes that are wrapped with foil and baked in special ovens. The potatoes are cut straight down the middle and the insides are mixed with unsalted butter and puréed with kaşar(means bitch in English :D) cheese. However, all sorts of foods can be added to the potato: mayonnaise, ketchup, pickles, sweetcorn, sausage slices, carrots, mushrooms and Russian salad.

The cafés in Ortaköy, Istanbul make kumpir that are especially popular with the tourists and offer even more ingredients. The baked potato is very popular in Sweden. In restaurants, one can usually order baked potato with a seafood mix called Skagenröra :)

Lahmacun

Lahmacun is a traditional eastern item of prepared food consisting of a round, thin soft piece of dough topped with spicy sauce and minced meat and straight leaved parsley.

Lahmacun is often served sprinkled with lemon juice and wrapped around vegetables, including pickles, tomatoes, peppers, onions, lettuce, and parsley, cabbage salad or cilantro; atypical variants may be found as wraps for kebab meat or sauces.

Doner Kebab

Doner is a Turkish dish made of lamb meat (mainly) cooked on a vertical spit and sliced off to order.

There are many variants in the composition of the meat, the ways of serving it, and the garnishes. Derived dishes include shawarma in Arabic and gyros in Greek, although ingredients and sauces differ. The term kebab in some countries refers specifically to doner kebab.

Sarma (Dolma)

Sarma is a dish of grape, cabbage or chard leaves rolled around a filling usually based on minced meat. It is found in the cuisines of the former Ottoman Empire from the Middle East to the Balkans and Central Europe.

Sarma means 'a wrapped thing' in Turkish language, from the verb sarmak 'to wrap' or 'to roll. Sarma may also be called yaprak dolması 'filled leaf' or simply dolma 'stuffed thing'. Dolma, which properly refers to stuffed vegetables, is often conflated with sarma.

Besides the savory dish of leaf-wrapped filling, sarma in Greek can also refer to sweet pastries similar to baklava and fıstık sarma, which are prepared by wrapping phyllo dough around a mixture of crushed nuts and syrup.

Baklava

Baklava is a rich, sweet pastry made of layers of filo pastry filled with chopped nuts and sweetened with syrup or honey. It is characteristic of the cuisines of the former Ottoman Empire and much of central and southwest Asia.

Rakı & Balık (Raki table & Fish)

In Turkey, raki is the national drink and is traditionally consumed either straight (sek, from the French "sec" meaning neat or dry), with chilled water on the side or partly mixed with chilled water, according to personal preference. Ice cubes are sometimes added. Dilution with water causes raki to turn a milky-white colour, similar to the louche of absinthe. This phenomenon has resulted in the drink being popularly referred to aslan sütü ("lion's milk"). Since aslan ("lion") is a Turkish colloquial metaphor for a strong, courageous man, this gives the term a meaning close to "the milk of the strong."

Raki is commonly consumed alongside mezze, a selection of hot and cold appetisers, as well as at a rakı sofrası ("raki table"), either before a full dinner or instead of it. It is especially popular with seafood, together with fresh arugula, feta and melon. It is an equally popular complement to various red meat dishes like kebabs, where it is often served with a glass of turnip juice.

Rakı is a Turkish unsweetened, anise-flavored drink that is popular in Turkey, Greece, Serbia, and other Balkan countries as an apéritif. It is often served with seafood espiecally fish or meze.

Kısır

Kısır is a traditional Turkish side dish made from fine bulgur(wheat), parsley, and tomato paste. The main ingredient, bulgur(wheat), is a cereal food generally made from parboiled durum wheat. For kısır, a finely grounded bulgur, unlike the coarse bulgur(wheat) used for pilav, or sometimes couscous is used. Common additional ingredients include parsley, tomato paste, onion, garlic (in some regions), sour pomegranate juice (in southern regions of Turkey) or lemon, lettuce leaves, cucumber, and a lot of spices. It has a reddish color due to tomato paste admixture. It can be eaten cold and used as a salad or meze.

Piyaz

Piyaz is a kind of Turkish salad or meze that is made from any kind of dry beans with hard-boiled egg and vegetables. Common additional ingredients include onion, parsley and sumac. In Antalya province of Turkey it is prepared differently from other regions with other ingredients like sesame oil

Piiyaz was also made from artichoke, pea, chickpea, broad bean and potato, which was introduced to Turkey in the last quarter of the 19th century.

Antalya's piyaz

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• I hope Leo will eat also this kind food ^^

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

• Kebab and baklava :heart:

Polish traditional meals are

bigos:

-it's made of cabage, mashrooms, meat

żurek

- it's a soup, made on bread acid, with egg and sausage

• Two typical Italian drinks.....

Cappuccino con l'Arte del Latte(Cappuccino with Latte Art)
    Bellini(Cocktail)

Non lasciare mai che la paura di perdere ti impedisca di partecipare!!

29th - Prediction Game - Women's European Championship 2011

• Isn't Tiramisu an Italian food? I just love it.

• Isn't Tiramisu an Italian food? I just love it.

Yes, tiramisù is italian... and it is very good to eat XD

• Dovga: A yoghurt (matsoni) based soup with sorrel, spinach, rice, dried peas, and small meatballs made from ground mutton; served hot or cold depending on the season.

That's interesting. And how do you eat the yoghurt hot ?!

The same thing here in Bulgaria. We call it ракия(rakiya) and it's our national drink as well. Very strong drink and foreigners often pay the price for not being used to drinking it. It is drank slowly, with mezze and can be made from grapes, plums, apricots and more. The rakiya is over 40% and can go to 70-80%(this is called "parvak" and is used mainly as embrocation but some people drink it :D )

Kebab and baklava :heart:

żurek

- it's a soup, made on bread acid, with egg and sausage

I'm also curious about this. Sounds tasty, but with egg and sausage it becomes a really heavy soup, probably for the winter months.

• Some traditional drinks in Bulgaria, both alcocholic and non-alcocholic:

1) Airyan(Айрян) - it is made of yoghurt and water. 1/4 of the content is yoghurt and the rest is water. Some people put salt in it. It is best drank when it's cold and it's perfect for the hot summer months. If you eat "banitsa" it's a good mixture to drink airyan with it.

2) Boza(Боза) - a very low alcocholic drink made from millet, oats, corn or other kind of wheat. From 0,5 to 1% alcochol. Boza also goes well with banitsa.

3)Rakiya(Ракия) - I've already written about it. It's our national drink and everyone has tried it. It's very strong but we got used to it especially older men who drink it like water. They also race against each other who will make the strongest rakiya. There are different kinds of rakiya and various names such as "skorosmurtnitsa"(hard to translate it, sth like "die soon"), "smurtonosnitsa" ("which brings death"), "shlyokavitsa" (made from plums) and others. It can be made from many fruits and the alcocholic content is between 40% and 65%. Some can go to over 90% but, of course, they are not for drinking. The food it goes with is called meze(мезе), like in Turkey as filedefener posted. The best meze for rakiya is shopska salata for which I wrote earlier.

• Brazil is a very big country, so actually depends a lot on the region you are, cause each region has they own tradicional meals.

Well, but I guess the most famous ones for people who come to Rio is to go to a churrascaria!!! :) Its a barbecue, but ina churrascaria, you pay a fixed cost, and you can eat as much as you want....they bring all kind of meats to your table and you choose what you want... :)

Rice and beans are really commom in an brasilian daily life, so I can anme also Feijoada (that are beans with prok meat)

Another thing I think Matt and Justyna (YES WE DID FIND GUARANÁ IN WARSAW!!!!:) ) will remember well is a drink called Guaraná, is like a soda.

A lot of people who come to Brazil also really enjoy our breakfasts, cause we have many fruits, many juices (that actually taste natural..hehehe) many kind of breads, and one thing from heaven called Pão de Queijo, is like a cheese bread.

About drinks I guess the most famous is the tradicional Caipirinha..it is made with cachaça, a brazilian kind of alchoolic drink, with lemon, sugar and ice. You can also make with vodka, but then we called caipivodka

• I love Brazilian meat dishes ! I've never been in Brazil but I was in Portugal many times and there's a lot of Brazilian restaurants.
    absolutely picanha is my fav. :heart:
    and cant forget about brazilian drink - caipirinha ! but must be with cachaça with normal vodka it's not the same :D

• one dessert

Künefe (Kanafeh)

The Turkish variant of the pastry kanafeh is called "künefe" and the bunch of wirey shreds that it is based on is called kadayıf. A semi soft cheese such as mozzarella is used in the filling. In making the künefe, the kadayıf is not rolled around the cheese; instead, cheese is put in between two layers of wire kadayıf. This is cooked in small copper plates, and then served very hot, in syrup, with clotted cream and pistachios or walnuts.

Ayran

Ayran or laban is a cold beverage of yogurt mixed with cold water and sometimes salt; it is popular in Turkey. Ayran was developed by Turkish peoples. Turkey is the biggest producer of ayran in the world] and has researched the subject extensively. In Turkey, ayran is often regarded as a separate category from other soft drinks. International fast-food companies in Turkey, such as McDonald's and Burger King, include ayran on their menu. IIn rural areas of Turkey, ayran is offered as a "standard" drink to guests. Ayran is usually served chilled, and is a common accompaniment to any form of grilled meat, pastry, or rice.

Susurluk's ayran is a very frothy kind of ayran quite popular in Northwestern Turkey

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"