Olympic Game 2012 Prediction (Women's Volleyball) If the Olympic games will be held today

• If the Olympic games will be held today, who do you think will win?

Possible Champion
    1. ITALY - though this team has not been doing great over USA for the last 4 year, i think ITALY still had the chance if they have a secret weapon designed for Olympics. It could be Piccinini coming back or other scheme for the team. They still have Del Core and other new player.
    2. USA - this team always came as strong contender. With Destinee, Tom and Folukee this team is very strong plus the old players
    3. Russia - still not out of the picture if they have sokolova, gamova, kosheleva and a good setter

Possible Semi Finalist
    ITALY
    BRASIL - this team has been shaky for the past 2 years and they have lost their good harmony or other teams has improved a lot.
    JAPAN - Great Attackers, Reception, they just don't manage to get on to the top
    USA
    SERBIA - Great new players, Rasic and Jovana
    RUSSIA
    CHINA - Can we expect surprises from them?

What do you think?

• For me possible Champion/Semifinalist
    1. USA, they have been a dominant team in 2011, I don't expect it to be different. If Sykora can come back, US defense will be better than it is already.
    2. Russia, always bring it for the biggest events. Gamova due to her height and power is tough to stop.
    3. Italy, played well without their best player Piccinini at the World Cup. Do not have much of a bench right now after looking at the World Cup lineup.
    4. Brazil, extremely talented team, but got caught with injuries last year. Jacqueline to me is the glue of the team. They were lost without her at the World Cup last year.

Quarterfinals
    5. Japan, have had some great wins over Brazil and USA last year, but then some bad losses which trip them up at the worst times. Can they play with the same abandon away from Japan?
    6. China, dropped a little bit behind the Japanese last year in my mind (but beat them at World Cup)
    7. Serbia, played great on home soil for Euro 2011, but injuries killed them in the World Cup. If everyone is healthy they could be a dark horse.
    8. Germany, good solid team, should be lower ranked teams from NORCECA and Asia

• I really hope Russia wins this time. But I think USA has the biggest chance though. Powerful hitters and middle players and good receivers and setters. Strong bench.

China and Italy are big threats. Brazil will always be a contender.

I think these five teams will battle it out this Olympics.

• Sykora is not in Olympic shape yet. And I don't think she will make the Olympic roster if they only bring one libero to thetounament.

But USA is very lucky to have another world-class libero, aka Nicole Davis.

• guys what do you think about brazil's chances this coming olympics? many people are saying that they are chokers for their previous losses, do you believe that is true?

• guys what do you think about brazil's chances this coming olympics? many people are saying that they are chokers for their previous losses, do you believe that is true?

Brazil has been one of the dominant teams of the last decade. But have they faltered a couple of times yes. 2006 and 2010 World Championship Final matches. Only problem is that they are playing Russia who is also very good. Both of those matches went 5 sets. They lost to the US in the last two years of the World Grand Prix Finals.

Are they contenders for gold absolutely, but to call them chokers I think is harsh. If they were destroyed 3-0, then maybe, but when you are the #1 team for such a long period of time, you are always going to be the target of teams. Plus, when you lose a player like Jacqueline, it is tough to replace her. Brazil sure missed her last year in the World Cup.

• Brazil has been one of the dominant teams of the last decade. But have they faltered a couple of times yes. 2006 and 2010 World Championship Final matches. Only problem is that they are playing Russia who is also very good. Both of those matches went 5 sets. They lost to the US in the last two years of the World Grand Prix Finals.

Are they contenders for gold absolutely, but to call them chokers I think is harsh. If they were destroyed 3-0, then maybe, but when you are the #1 team for such a long period of time, you are always going to be the target of teams. Plus, when you lose a player like Jacqueline, it is tough to replace her. Brazil sure missed her last year in the World Cup.

Didn't they lose to italy 3-0 twice in 2007 world cup and 2009 world grand champions cup wouldn't you call that choking?

• We didn't know all the contenders ...
    So we have to be patient but this tournament :dance6: looks very exciting.
    USA team is favourite for me, but a lot of other squads could win : Brasil, Italy, Serbia, Russia ; and why not China ?
    And most of the outsiders could be "ossi duri", tough bones for the favourites ...

• Didn't they lose to italy 3-0 twice in 2007 world cup and 2009 world grand champions cup wouldn't you call that choking?

I think calling them "chokers" is unfair. They've accomplished quite a number of achievements at the Grand Prix and Olympics. You know you are a top team when people are questioning whether you're a contender and you're still reaching the finals of the major tournaments (WCH 2010, Grand Prix 2011). However, I wouldn't say Brazil is a mentally strong team. They play well with a lead and when all things are going well. They are not a team I would bet on when they're down 0-2.

I also don't understand why people care so much about the World Cup. It's a qualification tournament. Whether your first or third all that matters is you qualify. Italy clings so tightly to their World Cup titles because they've failed to produce anything on the women's side at the Olympics.

• I also don't understand why people care so much about the World Cup. It's a qualification tournament. Whether your first or third all that matters is you qualify. Italy clings so tightly to their World Cup titles because they've failed to produce anything on the women's side at the Olympics.

unfortunately I must say you're right... ;( :down:

• I think calling them "chokers" is unfair. They've accomplished quite a number of achievements at the Grand Prix and Olympics. You know you are a top team when people are questioning whether you're a contender and you're still reaching the finals of the major tournaments (WCH 2010, Grand Prix 2011). However, I wouldn't say Brazil is a mentally strong team. They play well with a lead and when all things are going well. They are not a team I would bet on when they're down 0-2.

I also don't understand why people care so much about the World Cup. It's a qualification tournament. Whether your first or third all that matters is you qualify. Italy clings so tightly to their World Cup titles because they've failed to produce anything on the women's side at the Olympics.

I don't know if i'm making the correct analogy here but isn't this what wilt chamberlain in basketball experienced before? in the 1960's no one doubts that individually he is one of the top players and probably the best one but fans call him a loser because in the 8 playoff series against bill russell and the boston celtics his team won only 1 time while losing 7 rimes

• i never love this kind of topic better than this one better...why cannot we make it like this...

12 teams finally determined in the end of May....Italy, USA and China through WC plus the host Great Britain
    Algeria, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Turky got all their position through continental battles, among which, Turkey and DR made their OG debut.
    Russia, Serbia, Japan and Thailand secured their last chances to Earls Court and Thailand as the best asian team after Japan to win their OG debut. poor Cuba ranked the fourth after the top 3 in the WOQT rankings but eliminated.

and followed by the drawing of lots....

according to the WR updated in early June, the order to join the draw was decided, 0. GBR 1. USA 2. BRA 3. JPN 4. ITA 5. CHN 6. SRB 7. RUS 8. DOM. 9. TUR 10. THA 11. ALG

POOL A - GBR, JPN, ITA, RUS
    POOL B - USA, BRA, CHN, SRB

second last class teams DOM/TUR, last class teams THA/ALG will be seated by drawing of lots at random

POOL A - GBR, JPN, ITA, RUS, DOM, ALG (safe group)
    POOL B - USA, BRA, CHN, SRB, TUR, THA (survival group)

as always, we have a die-hard group in Pool B

IF TODAY WAS THE FIRST DAY OF OG WOMEN VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT, we should watch the following matches arranged in earlier days

POOL B

TUR 3-1 THA
    USA 3-1 BRA
    CHN 3-2 SRB

POOL A

ITA 3-0 DOM
    RUS 3-1 JPN
    host game - GBR 3-2 ALG

two new teams in OG meet together, Turkey defeated thailand in a high situation;
    Hooker was the star of the second game, they beat Brazil again;
    China n Serbia games are always tough, the tiebreaker score goes to 32-30, Chinese girls made their first win with joys;
    Italy defeated DR in straight sets;
    Russia defeated Japan finally although they encountered some problems in the second set;
    the host GBR survived in the thrilling 5 set game against Algeria.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Very good analysis Pappi :drink:

But I don't think Turkey would win qualification tournament. (Russia or Serbia is my favourite) And if they cannot probably Germany would compete in World Olympic Qualification tournament :whistle:

• DR already made their Olympic debut in 2004

• DR already made their Olympic debut in 2004

oops....how come i made such a foolish mistake with DR, which used to be qualified from South American Qualification...

it has been the second biggest joke in FIVB history after Russia winning African Qualification.

to be me...

• am i right ?

i think you could call me prophet...although i didnt expect Cuba withdrew the OG, but i said that Cuba will not win the WOQT and Thailand will dramatically enter the OG.

so let's wait for Thailand win their position to London.

to be me...

• Having watched so many OG I just say anything can happen.

Do you remember how bad Brazil was in 2007? The GP was a disaster and Brazil played poorly in World Cup losing in straight sets to Italy and 3 x 2 to USA.

But when we talked about 2008 Brazil came back strong to win the GP and during the final phase Brazil won almost all teams in straight sets.
    Italy was said to be a big contender but once again (3 OG in a row) Italy failed reaching for the semifinals. And this italian team was crushing every other team in World Cup 2007... Russia did really bad at the OG winning every weak team but didn't winning any top team. It was interesting because the top 4 teams at the OG were 3 from American and 1 from Asia. USA were called for some as the "dark horse".

If we go back to OG 2004, USA had a great team and people thought they would achieve a medal and maybe even play the gold medal. It didn't happen and USA lost in quater-finals.

So anything can happen. Will Italy finally win a quater-final game? How USA will deal with the pressure of winning? I say they have a little bit of problem just like brazilians if you remember what happened in World Cup 2011 and World Championship 2010. As for Russia I'm sure they will qualify but what to expect from them? I'm really excited for Turkey and I hope they can do great. I don't know much about China but I think they are going with a good team and I will sure miss Cuba because they always improve their game at the OG.