2014 FIVB World Championship - Italy - 9/23

• well, kondzio, i think part of the problem is that some top NORCECA teams are highly ranked (like US, DR and until recently cuba) so that would give them extra spots. but there's a steep drop-off in quality after these 3 teams and PR from the rest. problem is like much of the rest of the developing world that women's sports is not given much support. look at tunisia and egypt, if they only supported their women's teams as much as the men's. even australia, they have a great men's team but a sucky women's team. or iran. you'd think that many developing countries should be great women's teams since VB is about the only sport women can do in their countries.

also, i guess nobody expected kazakhstan to beat korea in the qual. (is there a vid of that match? i can't find it on YT.) maybe if there was an extra spot for asia, we would be complaining about kazakhstan being in the WCh? i don't know. sure it's not a perfect system but the quality of NORCECA after the top 4 is sad.

• wow. i know i'm late but italy has the EASIEST group. pool B and C are really tough.

• Looks like four cities will host Pools D & E, but they don't say the specific cities for each pool... I need to organise my trip to Italy and so far FIVB isn't helping ... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

I have the same problem. I'd like to go to the Champs and see some matches of the second round (when Pools B&C will be merged into one Pool) and still don't know where the games will be held :wall:

• The way that they have done this tournament, not announcing the schedule of matches until yesterday is really stupid. We still don't know the dates for the Second Round? You must be kidding me.

Group D will be the easiest. Japan and China are so far ahead of the others.

Group B will be the toughest. Brazil will have to work hard to beat Serbia, Turkey and Bulgaria. I still see them winning the group.

• FIVB confirmed today the schedule of the first round :)
    It's a link for the picture http://www.fivb.org/Vis2009/Im….asmx?type=press&no=45948

Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - Olympic Games 2012
    Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - European Championship 2015
    Silver Medal
    - Prediction Game - Women's - Olympic Games 2012

がんばれ 日本!

• Bauer, Havelkova and Havlickova

• Thailand NT . Nootsara Tomkom , Onuma Sittirak , Pleumjit Thinkaow , Wilavan Apinyapong , Wanna Buakaew . They do not want play VolleyBall World Championship at italy .

Sponsor and Association want send her to make money in the Asian Games in Korea.

I want FIVB ban Thai NT 4 years because Ignoring the FIVB list.

I think Thai NT should be sent Nootsara , Onuma play in VolleyBall World Championship at italy to prevent the punishment .

• Last qualification tournament should've started from Monday, however there's no info about it even on NORCECA website :wacko: maybe they postponed it :whistle:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• It will be in Mid July, with Mexico hosting the event.

http://translate.google.ca/tra…%26biw%3D1042%26bih%3D657

Thanks :flower: so tournament will be held between 14th and 21st July, while on NORCECA website they still didn't correct it :mad: :call:

Edited once, last by kondzio ().

• This makes no sense to me. the Asian Games do not have as good of competition. China and Japan will send their B teams because winning the World Championship means something. Thailand have improved in the last four years, but this is a step backwards. No Thai players play in Europe if I remember right. The national team could improve further by playing tougher competition.

With Asia getting only 4 spots in the World Championships, this could be seen as a slap in the face to the FIVB. forget hosting a WGP Final and getting more favorable opponents in the future.

• This makes no sense to me. the Asian Games do not have as good of competition. China and Japan will send their B teams because winning the World Championship means something. Thailand have improved in the last four years, but this is a step backwards. No Thai players play in Europe if I remember right. The national team could improve further by playing tougher competition.

With Asia getting only 4 spots in the World Championships, this could be seen as a slap in the face to the FIVB. forget hosting a WGP Final and getting more favorable opponents in the future.

This does not make sense to a lot of Thai volleyball fans either. Based on several interview clips, it seems that the Thai Volleyball Association and the Thai coach will split the national team into 2 halves. The first half will consist of the best 6 or 7 best players, including Wilavan, Onuma, Nootsara, Wanna, and Pluemjit. These players, along with new players from Thailand's volleyball league, will be sent to the Asian Games. It seems that the best players will not be sent to the World Championship because the association wants a medal in the Asian Games. One key player who is reaching her 30s also mentions that she wants to get a medal from the Asian Games because Thailand has never got a medal from this tournament. The other half will be the existing 6-7 substitutes in the national team. Together with other young new players from Thailand's volleyball league, they will be sent to the World Championship. The association suggests that this is to give young players an opportunity to compete with international players and to become the country's main players in the future.

Some Thai fans, who want the Thai team to gain scores from the World Championship for their future Olympic Qualification, are very upset. It has been suggested that the Thai Sports Authority will allocate its budget to the Thai Volleyball Association based on the performance in the Asian Games, and sponsors may give money to players based on this performance too. On the other hand, the association seems to think that the Thai team will not go far in the World Championship. (And nobody knows why the Sports Authority does not provide financial incentives for good performances in WCH). The fact that China and Japan will also send their B team to the Asian Games, while Thailand has won the Asian Championship already, makes some people feel that even winning the a medal from the Asian Games seem worthless. Also, the claim to improve young players in the World Championship sounds unreasonable because the association mainly used the main players in even the South East Asian Games; it will make a better sense if the association sends young players to the Asian Games instead. Some Thai fans think that splitting the national team is perhaps a way to avoid a ban from FIVB; otherwise, the full national team will be sent to the Asian Games.

Do not believe me, but wait until the World Championship approaches and you see Thailand's roster. Don't be surprised if you do not see Onuma or Nootsara in Italy. It is very likely that they will be in Incheon, South Korea, for the Asian Games!

• No Thai players play in Europe if I remember right. The national team could improve further by playing tougher competition.

For the 2013/2014 season, apart from Nootsara, Onuma, Wilavan, Pleumjit and Wanna (They all played in Azerbaijan), then the answer is yes. :rolleyes:
    But we still not so sure abt the next season though.

• They started to sell tickets for second round, but I can't find ANYWHERE where which group will play during this specific round!!!!
    Does anyone know??? :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

• They started to sell tickets for second round, but I can't find ANYWHERE where which group will play during this specific round!!!!
    Does anyone know??? :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Qualified teams coming from pools A+D will play in Trieste and Bari, those coming from B+C in Modena and Verona.

In detail, here's the calendar for the 2nd round in Trieste:

Oct 1
    A4 - D1; A3 - D2

Oct 2
    A4 - D2; A3 - D1

Oct 4
    A4 - D3; A3 - D4

Oct 5
    A4 - D4; A3 - D3

Source: http://www.imocovolley.it/mond…-a-trieste-non-e-escluso/

As you'll understand, 1st and 2nd ranked teams from pool A will play their 4 matches in Bari; 3rd and 4th will play in Trieste. On the other hand, 1st and 2nd from pool D will play first 2 matches in Trieste, then 2 in Bari (and viceversa for 3rd and 4th team).
    Why is it so? :teach: Because so you make sure that Italy, no matter its position in the end of the 1st round, won't have to travel during the 2nd; plus, Croatia is quite likely to play the whole 2nd round in Trieste (the closest and "warmest" venue they can get).
    So far, I don't know anything about the calendar of the other 2nd round's pool.

• Full Schedule:
    http://italy2014.fivb.org/~/me…edule_overview_en_low.pdf

As Piervi had written before, Pool E - A+D will play in Bari & Trieste, while Pool F - B+C will play in Verona & Modena ^^
    IMHO it's weird that first matches are listed on 10:30 :whistle: it should be at least 14:00...