2014 FIVB World Championship - Italy - 9/23

• oh my &@#@##%&$%. i had to go out and missed all the late matches today.

group D is where all the intrigue is… PR, BEL and AZE still fighting for last 2 spots? AZE prob. will beat CUB, so BEL x PUR will be decisive. unless CUB plays role of spoiler … can they ruin it for AZE????

TUR… wow. didn't expect that. i hope i can watch those matches soon.

also tomorrow THA x KAZ to decide last spot to 2nd round?

i'm sooooooo sad, i have to miss all the matches tomorrow...

• Pleumjit 180-181 cm... Valeskinha may be taller than her?

aha. i thought valeskinha was about the same as sosa (177cm) but wikipedia says she was 180, so that's the same as pleumjit. mexico also has a short MB, carranza (178 ). i never saw valeskinha play, how did she cope against giant MBs (190 cm and above)? did she ever play against fabiana and thais a in the brazilian league>?????

• i don't know why he preferrs Carljin Jans than Steenbergen...

Steenbergen is definitely the best,now Yvon is growing fast and she is better than Kruijf in blocking.

Pitersen is not bad,but her attack needs high quality reception.And when NED 24:22 RUS,they really need a team-spirit on the court.

Also Flier has a good serve which can destroy RUS reception line.

• What is to be decided on the final day of Phase 1.

Pool A
    Italy is through to 2nd Round. Win 2 sets to win Pool.
    Dominican Republic is through to 2nd round. Win match in 3 or 4 sets to win Pool. Guaranteed no worse than 2nd due to wins tie breaker (4-2 over Germany and Croatia).
    Winner of Germany vs. Croatia match will be 3rd and the loser 4th. Both teams have advanced to 2nd Round

Pool B
    Winner of Brazil vs. Serbia will win Pool. Both are through to 2nd Round. Loser is 2nd.
    Bulgaria is through to 2nd Round (Canada cannot beat Bulgaria on set ratio if teams tie on 6 points). If they win in 3 or 4 sets, Bulgaria will be 3rd.
    Turkey must win to advance. If they lose in 5 sets they would still lose wins tiebreaker to Canada if Canada beats Bulgaria (2-1). Can lose and advance if Canada loses.
    Canada must win and have Turkey lose to advance.

Pool C
    Winner of USA vs. Russia will win Pool. Both are through to 2nd Round. Loser is 2nd.
    Netherlands is through to 2nd Round. If they win 2 sets, they will be 3rd.
    Winner of Kazakhstan vs. Thailand will advance, but probably will be 4th.

Pool D
    China must win 2 sets to win Pool.
    Japan must win in 3 or 4 sets to win Pool. Otherwise they finish 2nd.
    Belgium must win to finish 3rd. Can finish 3rd with an Azerbaijan loss, Puerto Rico win but winning 2 sets.
    Azerbaijan must win in 3 or 4 sets to advance. Hold wins tie breaker over Puerto Rico (2-1) and if both win (3-2) and finish on same points.
    Puerto Rico must beat Belgium in 3 or 4 sets to advance. Can advance with 5 set loss and Azerbaijan loss in 3 or 4 sets. Can advance with 5 set win and Azerbaijan loss in 3, 4 or 5 sets.

• 25-10 in third set and 17-6 in fourth shows that there is a big problem in german game.if u claim u are a medal candidate before the tournament u cant play such weak.Im angry cause guidetti is not the right person for german team.He usually good at tactics but when opponent knows how to beat this he just watches the game.After first set bonitta totally slapped germany with diouf and del core,it was the same in grand prix.After germany was leading 2-0 diouf came and turned the game 3-2 for italians :wall:.And guidetti still doesnt know how to stop her.And i cant believe how weak fürst plays sometimes.It is for sure diouf couldnt make the point but fürst jumps and ball hits her and fell down on german side,i have seen this so many times,same as against neriman,saori,nagaoka :And please no more complain about kozuch,she is the only reliable and valuable thing in this german starting line up. :flower: She is always ready in crucial moments but for sure she cant make miracle by her own.And setter position is a huge mess in this team.I cant believe how apitz turns a such an amateur in hard moments.Especiallu her sets to middle is usually so low :aww:

U cut the most reliable attacker izquierdo and good middle brandt without reason and still take useless beier and unexperienced silge.Germany is compete with themselves and there are so many wrong things in this team.Losing 12 times in a row russia,always losing in important matches against dominic,cant beat japan,china and now korea means so much thing.i think guidetti is done for germany and germany is done for guidetti.There is nothing left to giving each other.With this game style Rio 2016 is also impossible so hope DVV makes a good choice.And i have to say that saying dürr is a good libero after watching de gennaro,gizem and castillo is :whistle: a libero should have good reception and defence skills :whistle:

Anyway i think for germany WCH is over and i dont see succsess being in top 10 so i wont make any comments about german team anymore.
    The biggest surprise is dominic so far,seems they can handle in hard moments and have better tactics.If they beat or takes points from italy they will have good chance in being third round.
    My top six russia,serbia,brazil,china,italy and dominic :wavy:

• Pitersen is not bad,but her attack needs high quality reception.And when NED 24:22 RUS,they really need a team-spirit on the court.

Also Flier has a good serve which can destroy RUS reception line

I agree with you.

• Truth hurts, what?

Indeed bartek u r more realistic than most of them ,he thought he would see perfect team,he talked so many times about it big competitions exct but the truth is unfortunately really different as u see :whistle:

Matthias it doesnt work get angry about my comments,think whats wrong with your lovely team instead of complaining about my comments dear volley authority :rolleyes:

• Italy will win against Dom because Diouf will probebly be a starter as costagrande and Arena will be sold out because it is sunday and they have very good res in WCH ....maybe Dom will take 1 set but that is it
    Can't wait for Cro-Ger :D

• I think Azerbaijan NT likes to give stress to its fans :evil:

Players already began to talk about the Cuba match after Puerto Rico victory. It seemed they actually didn't care about Belgium match. The Federation wanted them to advance to the next round. In my opinion, they just think how to advance not about the points. Kisleyova played today, so it seems her injury was not important. I guess it proves my opinion :thumbdown:

Polina seemed tired after 4 matches, I dont understand why Oksana insists to set her, today we saw that others- Jidkova -also can attack very well. Reception is the main problem of the team.

Oksana and Kovolenko still have some small injuries.

I hope Puerto Rico will win over Belgium. In this case we will be 3rd team in the group, right?

I wonder what Azerbaijan NT could do with Mammadova and Korotenko?

• I don't think Mammadova would make a difference. Problem of Azeri NT is obviously reception and defence, which Mamma can't help. On the other hand, a solid libero such as Korotenko might be helpful for this desperate reception line. :whistle:

• after losing the fourt set ,it had no meaning to win or lose 3-2...

the problem is not losing against Brazil but losing against Serbia or Bulgaria...

Barbolini should have prepared the team better for those matches, the team should have played better focused..

Gözde played better against Brazil....if she had played better against Serbia or Bulgaria then we could have beat one of these teams...

btw..Brazil blocks were very good....i liked Brait's digs and Fabiana's blocks,attacks..
    Fabiana and Thaisa's presence makes it easier for players like Sheila

• Br

i can't believe that Bra was about to lose to this spaz of a team again :lol: really embarassing if you ask me and that reception line was a joke clearly will be a headache for new Bra Nt gen

Brazil's players like Sheila,Garay,Jaque,Gabi etc are not vey tall players therefore blockable players ie. they dont have a player like Vasileva etc...if Brazil didnt have great middles then no comment ;)

• aha. i thought valeskinha was about the same as sosa (177cm) but wikipedia says she was 180, so that's the same as pleumjit. mexico also has a short MB, carranza (178 ). i never saw valeskinha play, how did she cope against giant MBs (190 cm and above)? did she ever play against fabiana and thais a in the brazilian league>?????

She did for many years. Actually, she is still playing in Brazilian league nowadays.
    Until a few years ago, she was able to play a very nice volleyball even against those high girls, like Fabiana and Thaisa.
    Valeskinha was in the starting six during Athens 2004 and had an amazing connection with Fernanda Venturni. Very fast spiking and fast blocking too.