2014 FIVB World Championship - Italy - 9/23

• DOL will be tomorrow 14.00 Italian time. In men's WCH it was right after Poland's last match in 2nd round but here it is different...

Well, in Poland Pool G and H are played in different cities so they must do the DOL immediately.
    If only there would be live stream of it. But most likely not.

• Ok Martee :teach: , the referees won, you are right ;)
    And no technical comment ? :white:

• :wall:

today was the first (the only one) mistake with the challenge system favoring us...don't event start with this...we won deservedly

Lascia perdere :drink:
    Everybody knows that if Diouf broke the Chinese defense and Cardullo made 83% in reception it's just because the referees were "Italian"

• The guys sitting there are just handling the technique, the 2nd referee needs to make the decision by seeing the video material. But yes, challenge system has worked MUCH better in men's WCH :!:

Man, are you sure? The challenge was totally dreadful in Poland, don't we all remember? The referees made tons of mistakes. It was definitely more complete because of the net touch, but there were some really questionable choices. Nothing of it happened in Italy so far.

• Lascia perdere :drink:
    Everybody knows that if Diouf broke the Chinese defense and Cardullo made 83% in reception it's just because the referees were "Italian"

Yes, to be fair, the Italian played better than the Chinese today. They indeed deserved the victory. Comparing the reception rates 36-62%, it is not hard to see which side should claim the match. But still, nevertheless, some calls were bad, to say the least. It should've been a 5 set match to me. Anyway, congrats.

• As I told you yesterday, Cardullo played today. She played very well! She is always amazing. Folie was very impressive (expecially when Leo was on the court, I think she have a better connection with Leo than Ferretti). Finally Ferretti played and she did it well even if her connection with the middles was not that good (maybe bacause she did not played for a long time). Chirichella was amazing when she blocked 2/3 times in a row... I would have liked to see Centoni playing more... I do really think that Lo Bianco and Ferretti should play together cause they are both amazing and they deserve to play... I like this Italian NT :cup: :cup: :cup:

I have to say that I am so sorry for Japan: they played very well and they defense is outstanding. You always have trouble to scoreba point against them.

Brenda Castillo left me speachless :cup: :white:

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• Wow, most thought that Russia can end up after this match but Marichev made smart move eventually - Startseva on bench :D it changed a lot, moreover Russian WS all with high efficiency ^^
    On Serbian side Rasic and Boskovic had great tournament overall, but others :whistle: Mihajlovic was out of the game today...

Dominicans with another tiebreak :lol: checking stats De La Cruz and Castillo had monster performance once again 8o I'm so impressed by Sakoda on the other side :obey: she;'s one of Japanese players that I like the most, her digging and spiking were outstanding - my MVP of that game without any doubts :wavy:

Both USA and Brazil used bench players, but result was like in WGP - 3-0 but not after easy game ^^ I wonder what Davis is still doing here ?( on the other hand Hildebrand was a leader :thumbup:

And I'm so happy for Azzure :dance4: Bonitta has such comfort with such strong roster even without Lucia Bosetti :thumbsup: exactly as Matthias said, no matter who they choose, they won't lose quality for all positions 8o Italian team is quite competitive and can fight for medal in home :roll:

Anyway, I wonder why they didn't made a draw today like in Polish WCH ?( Anything can happen, only Brazil with Italy won't see each other in this phase.

We have Italy, China, Brazil, USA, Russia and Dominican Republic.

Dominicana is like a cinderella here, so they'll probably lose, but they made some surprises, including victory vs. Italy (though without Costagrande...).
    About Russia: maybe Marichev will keep the path with Kosianenko as S and 2 L on court (Kryuchkova is decent receiver, but poor defender) and it may work if Obmoachaeva doesn't screw it up and if Gamova can kill like in Champions League :wavy: Kosheleva should keep this level :thumbup:
    Italy has quite a comfort, but evil draw can spil everything (but Poland dealt with it, beating Brazil and Russia 8o )
    Brazil shouldn't have problems, key players who can be weak lins seem to be Garay with Dani Lins...
    Americans rotates with players, so they can surprise, one thing is sure - Davis should be out of court as far as possible :lol:
    And it's hard to say anything about China - Ting Zhu won't stop anybody alone. She has teammates who can help, but I still miss old Chinese style, I worry that it won't be back ;( good thing is that Lang Ping is trying to introduce some new players for future ^^

I think about potential pools, but I don't want to be a fairy. I spent so much time outside home and I missed a lot during this competition ;(

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Yes, to be fair, the Italian played better than the Chinese today. They indeed deserved the victory. Comparing the reception rates 36-62%, it is not hard to see which side should claim the match. But still, nevertheless, some calls were bad, to say the least. It should've been a 5 set match to me. Anyway, congrats.

ok :drink:
    Yes the 3rd set was decisive and could have won by Chinese NT which led 24 / 22

• Best players according to stats (only from Top 6 cuntries, in brackets the best outside the Top 6):
    Best Scorer: Bethania De La Cruz 194 (Polina Rahimova 229)
    Best Spiker: Kelly Murphy 52.38 % (Tijana Boskovic 43.43 %)
    Best Blocker: Thaisa Menezes 1.03 (Maja Poljak 0.81)
    Best Server: Valentina Diouf 0.38 (Polina Rahimova 0.51)
    Best Setter: Alisha Glass 6.30 (Frauke Dirickx 8.16)
    Best Digger: Camila Brait 5.00 (Valerie Courtois 4.51) - some may be wrong because Castillo (1.56) is so low here :what: she should have 5.15 and she's the LEADER here :wavy: 175 digs in 34 sets (not counting games vs. Tunisia and Argentina)
    Best Receiver: Svetlana Kryuchkova 69.66% (Charlotte Leys 67.23 %)

So for best line-up we can qualify (according to bare numbers):
    S: Alisha Glass (Dirickx is out)
    OP: Kelly Murphy
    OH: Tatiana Kosheleva (spiking), Kimberly Hill (passing) (Leys is out as passer)
    MB: Thaisa Menezes, Fabiana Claudino (Poljak and Akman are out)
    L: Brenda Castillo

• Italy won against China with Lo Bianco, Del Core, Costagrande and Arrighetti on the bench :super: :white:

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

• Italy won against China with Lo Bianco, Del Core, Costagrande and Arrighetti on the bench :super: :white:

I'd add Centoni :wavy:
    That's the comfort of strong roster :thumbsup:

we have Lo Bianco with Ferretti as S, Diouf and Centoni as OP, Piccinini, Costagrande, Del Core and C.Bosetti as OHs (with Lucia it would be even stronger), Chirichella, Arrighetti and Folie as MB and De Gennaro with Cardullo as L, nothing to say more :wavy: as addition we have Signorile who didn't spoil anything :lol:

• Great victory by Russia today, they had high percentage on spiking, even though they sometimes got blocked hard. Obmochaeva was really good with Kosianenko as well as Kosheleva. On the other side Mihajlovic failed completely today and Boskovic couldn't do all by herself. Serbia looked scared or with not so much courage and determination!

Brazil showed good game even if they rested all the team: Tandara is a killer, she'll be precious if Sheilla won't be so efficient in the next game (but I believe she will). I liked Gabi, so powerful and fast too! on the other side Hildebrand had a good match, while the MBs weren't so convincing, especially in attack. But I think that both teams have hidden their real potential. We'll see in the next matches.

I'm so happy for Italy, I didn't watch the match...only the last few points! I'm so happy for Cardu :heart:

• I'd add Centoni :wavy:
    That's the comfort of strong roster :thumbsup:

we have Lo Bianco with Ferretti as S, Diouf and Centoni as OP, Piccinini, Costagrande, Del Core and C.Bosetti as OHs (with Lucia it would be even stronger), Chirichella, Arrighetti and Folie as MB and De Gennaro with Cardullo as L, nothing to say more :wavy: as addition we have Signorile who didn't spoil anything :lol:

Yep... I forgot to write Centoni. My bad!

I think Italy can win this competition. The team is very strong + we are playing home.

• @DS14

Watch the match: it was great & Cardu made some interesting digs :thumbsup:

• I am working on my advanced stats for the 2nd round and will be done tomorrow on those, I'll work on the 1st round this week. I've been busy at work and there are just so many games to get through in the first round.

I will say this, in matches 6-8 for Brazil Thaisa was just awesome. Only player better than her was Polina for Azerbaijan. Polina would have won 4.32 sets out of 4.47 for the team. Thaisa was at 3.27 of Brazil's 8.90 set wins. Put her and Fabiana together and they are 5.12 set wins.

I think that we've seen this before from Brazil, their middles dominate and that frees up Jaque and Sheila. Let alone the middles as blockers. Thaisa with 18 and Fabiana with 9 blocks equal 27 of Brazil's 37 (45 in total, but Thaisa and Fabiana didn't play today) in the 2nd round.

• Vermeulen, you are such a F#cking IDIOT :hit: :hit: :hit: :hit:

Why starting a match if you want to lose it on purpose ?????

Pietersen is the MOST BLOCKED player of the whole tournament !!!! WHY she is on court AGAIN ??? :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

If he kept using Manon Flier as OPP,and just use Pietersen to serve,i think maybe NED can beat SBR、TUR and maybe RUS

But he always use Pietersen.When Pietersen on the court,NED can only rely on Plak or Buijs.

Because Pietersen's spike is not powerful and no skill at all :down: :down: :down:

How can a team win when the coach keep the best player on bench?!