2013 FIVB World Grand Prix

• Mihaijlovic is pure attacker Garay did everything from reception to digging etc also i would award her with mvp award Brazil owned her too much for this finals but weirdly players who joined half way got awards really weird. They probably look at final 'stats' only this is so wrong imo

that's what i also think maybe fivb saw that fe garay's performnce dipped in the finals so they awarded it to somebbody else

• that's what i also think maybe fivb saw that fe garay's performnce dipped in the finals so they awarded it to somebbody else

well yeah she started from beggining of course her performance will go down a bit but still she killed and recieved with only 4-5 percent lower but also managed to up her blocking statistics ranking in 2 place after thaisa with 1,2 per set blocking performance. Don't know she is all around good player you must a take all things into account while giving such awards

• whose excuses are we talking about here?

I understand your frustration regarding China. Asian Championship isn't really as tough as ECH. I dunno what Lang Ping was thinking.

Thaisa deserves the MVP award as she played super consistent all throughout. Glass as best setter is funny. She's made so many errors and misconnection with her attackers.

I'm loving Diouf. Her attack form is very similar to Tayibba Haneef-Park. I just hope that she improves her athleticism as she jumps very low and work on her stamina. Opposites are expected to hit the ball more than anyone else in the court. By third set she was already gasping for breath. I hope that she becomes a mainstay for Italy.

• I know Glass made many mistakes, but I think it was because of Kiraly's hand, who wants to play that crazy fast style of sets.

I think the biggest reason why USA didn't defend the three victories in row in the WGP is Kiraly. I hope he relized he has not a male team in his hands. USA team is physically strong, but they still are girls. The kind of game he wants gets the players very tired. He should think much more about players than the system of game. These fast sets made Fawcett look very weak until the last game. Hill and Hildebrand can't really spike this way, both of them needs lower sets. How many times Hildebrand couldn't spike hard the ball because she didn't catch it well? Or how many times Hill had mistakes because she was to slow to spike the ball? I hope Kiraly wake up. Just Hodge and Larson can make it better, but this means that there's no back up player really able to spike with this style when both Larson and Hodge are out.

I dind't like at all his calls, bacause OHs had to play all matches without a real player able to take their places when they were in troubles. Lichtman is good all around player, but that's all. Good, not strong. Hood didn't have a lot of space, so she was very useless.

And at last but not the less important, he should start helping the girls when they're on troubles. His time-outs are just useless: "breathe", "take a deep breathe", "breathe like before", "breathe better", "breathe easy"... wake up, they are already breathing and you're losing the match because they're just confused about what to do on court not about how to breathe!! :wall: :aww: :mad:

BTW Glass is really impressive to me. Deserved award. She was the best beside Miyashita. Ognjanovic had ups and donws. Dani Lins and Signorile... :aww: The chinese doesn't look as good as Qiuyue Wei and Kun Feng.

• After WCH 2010, Shen Jingsi left the national team for two (three) years.
    Lang Ping called six setters and used five this year except Ding Xia, Liaoning's main setter.
    The good opposite hitters doesn't find now.
    Zhang Lei is old, Zeng Chunlei only has the serve and Liu Dan is still a second libero.
    Zhu Ting can hit at the right side as an opposite but she doesn't like it......

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• so it's all over now ... an interesting WGP tournament, despite some controversial issue as -for example- CHI subs facing BRA .....

** congratulations to BRA for its 9th wgp crown. They wanted it badly after playing second fiddle for 3 years; they got it. Stop.. :obey:
    ** i agree to Thaisa mvp, not to Glass as best setter. Miyashita is IMO the real winner and a true 'revelation': the future belongs to her..
    ** I confess I have a weakness for JAP NT (as well as for japanese girls...) their defensive play gets somewhat near to sublime ....
    yet when you check the final balance you discover they won only against ITA, then losing twice 0-3 and twice 2-3 (exactly as the much-despised Italy did).
    What does this team need to become a front-runner in major international tournaments ?
    ** As to ITA: they deserved being in F6 (our subs beating Turkey first team 3-2); they were put to the most severe test, thus revealing their present limits and faults.
    They learned it the hard way, but were also able (in part) to improve, either as a team play and as to individual performances.
    ** My appreciation to this respect to Diouf, after a bad start she gave substantial contribution to ITA cause against both USa abd SRB.
    ** If properly managed by Mencarelli, this experience would be most useful at the incoming ECh, despite of long traveling, jet lags, injuries to be recovered (Signorile) and so on...

** eventually, many thanks to all volleyball fans contributing to this forum - their notes, commentaries and controversies added much fun and enjoyment to watching the competition :flower:

see u at the ECH forum :wavy:

• Actually, China won Asian Championship in 2011 already, but I agree with everything else you said.

• USA will get better. Alisha started to give Fawcette higher balls, but still fast.. Larson will be back.. the girls will practice more and get used to that kind of setting.. it's a new thing, you can't win when you try something out.. in 2009 they lost many many matches, they didn't even get to final round.. now they played much better.. IMO Glass is a monster she is everywhere on court and can set from everywhere.. Karch wants the sets to be super quick, so she had to do it.. if it was up to her, i think she'd go a bit more higher.. We'll see how it turns out.. even in 2010 Hooker was missing balls here and there and by 2011 she was killing it. So I have faith in this USA

• USA will get better. Alisha started to give Fawcette higher balls, but still fast.. Larson will be back.. the girls will practice more and get used to that kind of setting.. it's a new thing, you can't win when you try something out.. in 2009 they lost many many matches, they didn't even get to final round.. now they played much better.. IMO Glass is a monster she is everywhere on court and can set from everywhere.. Karch wants the sets to be super quick, so she had to do it.. if it was up to her, i think she'd go a bit more higher.. We'll see how it turns out.. even in 2010 Hooker was missing balls here and there and by 2011 she was killing it. So I have faith in this USA

I trust the girls too. I can't really trust Kiraly. It's stronger than me.

I have a feeling the system will work very very well from next season. Alisha giving less speed sets to Fawcett was the key of the victory. At least today Kiraly had a Plan B.

• Congratulations to Brazil! :cup:
    What a perfect record! 5 wins in straight sets for the first time in history! :woohoo:

Brazil has an incredible staff. Grad Prix has the worst schedule possible. 5 matches, 5 days. No rest. Win all matches in straight sets is really hard no matter the teams you play or if all their best players are in. One day you contest USA with that requires one kind of game, the other, without any time to do the best preparation, you play Japan that is completely different, then you have Serbia that's totally another style and so forth. The staff must be good. I'm not talking about Zé Roberto only, I'm talking about people we usually don't see. People that take care about players nourishment, rest, trainings, doctor, physioterapist, assistant coach, 2nd assistant coach, team manager, etc. They are unbelievable. Since 2005 Brazil is always ready to face any conditions and difficult situations and deal with it. Thinking about all international competitions (Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, Grand Prix and Grand Champions Cup) and how many good players we have all around the world... Brazil was first or second in 15 from 17 competitions, missing only 2007 World Grand Prix and 2011 World Cup when we were 5th. The work of the staff is unbelievable and completely outstanding. World-class in the extreme. Be first or fighting with the first untill the end in 15 from 17 competitions no matter how difficult these competitions are, if the team is the favourite or not is a work that I have a big respect for. :win: :drink:

usa will be weak till glass is there,,she aint setting the ball,,she just throws it to the player and let the player improvise with her ugly setting,,she is poor in making an effective play that will score,,she have her hitters always blocked with her sets,,and she doesnt have composure and gives away the set even if they had the lead near the end of every match,, courtney or carli lloyd should be usa's setter in the next matches,,
    barnwarth is the key to their victory against japan,,she is stable and knows how to handle free ball unlike miyashiro that will shank a free ball
    and kiraly,,he's better as an assistant coach,,usa should hire somebody else or get a foreign coach

• Sheilla wasn't saying about this. She was simply questioning why they didn't use their main players in such an important game. Why was Zhu benching in a final match? She could have made the difference dor China! It's not about renewing... But don't worry, Brazil has noce bunch of young players who can become good in future... :D :D

Who are those young players, except Gabi?

• it'd been interesting to hear if there are reports in the chinese media about lang ping explaining why she rested some of her best players for the brazil match. it was a horrible match and that's the problem with these round-robin tournaments, with no finals.

i don't agree that there are 10 great euro teams though. i know the depth and parity is greater in ECh than norceca or asia, but i think there's only maybe 5 great euro teams at any time. one a good day, only 4 or 5 teams can beat norceca's # 2 team (DR), for example.

in asia, also china lost the ACh to thailand too... it's not always easy for asia's top 3.

• So now everybody just out of nowhere wants to change the rules and make
    number of victories the first criteria for ranking the teams...I just
    don't get you guys. When the new points system appeared, everybody just
    loved it and now it's "unfair".
    Brazil was almost out of London's quarterfinals because of this system, and also staying behind South Korea in the first phase even with more victories and had to face Russia (#1 from the other group). If number of victories was the "fair" criteria, Brazil would have faced Italy in a very very very easy game at that time...

Sydney, I don't think we are out of nowhere wishing to change rules like you said. There's a lot of examples to do that, not only Brazil X China and we don't need to go too long in history to find it out.

Last year, during olympic qualification, Japan was playing Serbia. If match ended 3X2 Serbia, both teams will qualify. It happened. Thailand was depending on a japanese victory to qualify. I saw many thai people in social medias saying japaneses thrown the game. People asked japanese coach about that and Manabe said Takeshita was tired after 4th said and it influenced japanese game.
    During Olympic Games, same situation. If match went to tie-break South Korea and China were qualified. Match ended in the tie-break. Korean coach said result wasn't fixed before the match at press conference.
    My point is points system creates some embarassing situations that put the game in a bad mood. If you need a victory to qualify or win a competition, you must win to have it. If you need only 1 point, you don't need to win to have what you want. If match goes to the tie-break you are in.
    Whatever happened between Japan and Serbia, China and South Korea, the system isn't the best. If teams fixed results before the match like fans are saying, I guess I don't need additional explanations to sustain the argument. If they didn't fix results like the coaches are saying, it isn't too. The fact is that a crucial match involves a high tension and when one team already reached its goal, the tension go away and they relax. The level go down. It's what Manabe said. If Japanese needed a victory they should be focused on the match till the end and maybe have won it, who knows?

Other example from last year. Brazil had a tough preliminary round at the World Grand Prix and almost did not qualified to the Final Round, aside the fact we only have lost one match against USA. Thailand, Cuba and Turkey had soft drawn of lots and qualified easily with one defeat too like Brazil. Nonetheless, Brazil defeat all them in the Final Round and lost only to USA which means the second best team of the competition would be placed 7th only because won difficult matches against hardest teams in the tie-break. That's ridiculous. A team that should be second ending 7th, 8th, 9th cause of drawing of lots. :aww: It's a crazy system.

There's lot of examples. I don't think we are out nowhere wanting to change rules. These are real situations. It happened this year, happened an year before and will keep on happening while the same system remains. I only said that because FIVB want to change rules. I didn't see people complaining and saying they are jaded because match ends in 25 points, but I already saw a lot of people and fans around the world with complaints against these facts above. If FIVB wants to change rules I suppose a winning criterion, for instance, is more imperative and urgent than all these other rules they are searching for.

• I think the 3-2 points are really good...they work as the tei in the soccer.

ITs is easy to understand in a soccer championship why a team tha ties all matches does not end as champions..right?

But I agree that this system works better in a long term championship..like a league, or a rpeliminary phase...than yeah..It points out which teams are the most regular ones.

Maybe in a short erm decision like the WGP Finals, that is not the best regulation...cause there are just not to much games. So maybe a system whith Semifinals and Finals would be a better decision.

• it is hard to get into the top 3 of asia especially if your vietnam or other lower ranked teams but for china? they had never finished below 2nd since 1979