World League 2013

• FIVB has just announced what the 2013 World League will look like

http://www.fivb.org/viewPressR….asp?No=37299&Language=en

Highlights

18 teams up from 16
    3 Pools of 6 teams
    10 matches total in Intercontinental Round (Top 3 ranked teams, host 3 weekends, travel for 2 and the bottom 3, host 2 weekends and travel for 3)
    7 Teams Advance to Final, Plus Finals Host
    Top 3 in Pool A & B, First in Pool C

FIVB Ranking in parenthesis
    Pool A
    Brazil (1)
    Poland (4)
    USA (5)
    Bulgaria (8)
    Argentina (9)
    France (16)

Pool B
    Russia (2)
    Italy (3)
    Cuba (6)
    Serbia (7)
    Germany (10)
    Iran (14)

Pool C
    Canada (18)
    South Korea (22)
    Finland (31)
    Netherlands (41)
    Vacancy 1*
    Vacancy 2*

* FIVB will decide these two teams in 2 weeks

I am guessing that China or Japan will get one of the vacancies (or both of them) and/or possibly one team in Africa.

• This is sort of ridiculous to me. How is the final ranking determined? So actually Pool C is like a "play-in" and bottom team in Pool A and B will drop to Pool C. So from now on World League has 3 levels, qualification round, play-in round (Pool C) and intercontinental round (Pool A&B) and final.

Besides I hate the idea that all teams go to one place a time. It's totally WGP style! It's not a LEAGUE at all.

• This so retarded it makes me angry, why does the group C winner deserve to play the finals and not the 4° of the other two groups? it doesn't make sense.

And not even gonna say anything about the pulled-from-the-ass wild card spots...

• Are those retards going to change the rules every f***** year? :wall:

• This is sort of ridiculous to me. How is the final ranking determined? So actually Pool C is like a "play-in" and bottom team in Pool A and B will drop to Pool C. So from now on World League has 3 levels, qualification round, play-in round (Pool C) and intercontinental round (Pool A&B) and final.

Besides I hate the idea that all teams go to one place a time. It's totally WGP style! It's not a LEAGUE at all.

Actually, it is a league, you play each team twice, 10 matches in each group.

Since 2006, in the 7 years of the World League, 11 teams have played in each edition with current FIVB rank and my ranking using set wins and points ratio for the past 4 years.
    Brazil (1, 1) in
    Bulgaria (8, 10) in
    Cuba (6, 2) in
    Finland (31, 12) in
    France (16, 11) in
    Italy (3, 7) in
    Poland (4, 6) in
    Russia (2, 3) in
    Serbia (7, 5) in
    South Korea (22, 14) in
    USA (5, 4) in

2 played 6 times
    Argentina (8, 8) in
    Japan (19, 13)

1 played 5 times
    China (15, 16)

1 played 4 times
    Egypt (13, 19)

2 played 3 times
    Germany (10, 9) in
    Portugal (38, 20)

3 played 2 times
    Canada (18, 18) in
    Netherlands (41, 17) in
    Venezuela (20, 32)

2 played 1 time
    Puerto Rico (21, 23)
    Spain (29, 24)

Iran has never played in the FIVB World League.
    The FIVB has them at 14, I have them at 15.

• In the article it is said that the Intercontinental Round will be played over a period of 5 weeks. This means that there would either be two tournaments played in each pool every weekend, or one of the ("weaker") teams just won't host an event and will only travel. Either way, it would be interesting to see the complete schedule before drawing conclusions. I see the idea behind the decision of FIVB to increase the popularity of the league further by introducing top games, but then neglecting the teams in Pool C makes it all a bit absurd. I really thought they can't surprise me anymore, but still they can! They were also considering some rule changes since 1. January 2013, I hope they don't ruin the game completely.

• And what was the point now of all the qualifiers? Wild cards again... If you change the number of teams, set the new system for 2014 and discard any qualies after WL 2013...

• I like this format. It would be even better if Group C didn't exist.

Probably a World League with top 12 teams and World League B with teams from 12-24 will be better. With promotions and relegations from one of the Leagues to the other.

• I think if there is 6 teams in each group, the schedule must be alike this:
    (Based on this sentence in FIVB website: "The top three world ranked teams in each pool will play three matches at home and two away with the bottom three world ranked teams playing twice at home and three times away")

Matches of team 1:
    Host: teams 2, 3, 4
    Away: teams 5, 6

Matches of team 2:
    Host: teams 3, 4, 5
    Away: teams 1, 6

Matches of team 3:
    Host: teams 4, 5, 6
    Away: teams 1, 2

Matches of team 4:
    Host: teams 5, 6
    Away: teams 1, 2, 3

Matches of team 5:
    Host: teams 6, 1
    Away: teams 1, 2, 3

Matches of team 6:
    Host: teams 1, 2
    Away: teams 3, 4, 5

Anyway, this idea is ridiculous! FIVB ruined World League...

• It doesn't matter how looks qualification system because in Final will be for sure 2 Best Teams.

• I think 18 teams is a lot, too. I think both WL and WGP were supposed to be formed by 12 teams, taking into consideration it is an annual tournament. The WC should have 18 teams, IMO.

• Welcome Japan and Egypt in 2013 World League ! :D
    http://www.fivb.org/viewPressR….asp?No=37342&Language=en

Both teams will be play in group C
    Final Round host - to be confirmed.

Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - Olympic Games 2012
    Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - European Championship 2015
    Silver Medal
    - Prediction Game - Women's - Olympic Games 2012

がんばれ 日本!

• "The top three world ranked teams in each pool will play three matches at home and two away with the bottom three world ranked teams playing twice at home and three times away."
    Can someone please explain to me.. how many matches will each team play in the intercontinental round? (5,10..?)

• "The top three world ranked teams in each pool will play three matches at home and two away with the bottom three world ranked teams playing twice at home and three times away."
    Can someone please explain to me.. how many matches will each team play in the intercontinental round? (5,10..?)

10 8)
    for top 3 teams, 6 home matches + 4 away matches
    for bottom 3 teams, 4 home matches + 6 away matches

• yes

Wow, I'm sensing something huge here, not only for Poland but for volleyball as well! But it'll be hard to happen.

Do you know what is the probability of this happening? And are there any predictions of how much will the stadium be filled with spectators?

• Polish federation is ready to organize it, but there is a lot of task to discuss. Personally I think it won't happen in the next year, but everything is possible.

Well, I think that full stadium is expected. So it's about 60000 people. It's important to say that National Stadium is situated in capital city, Warsaw, where there is no volleyball except Politechnika.