Brazilian League 2013/2014

• I don't think MB are the problem. I mean of course you're right they are not great anymore, BUT she's not only not setting them, she not setting overhead she not setting to zone 1 when Kristin is backrow.. She uses pipe only with Tandara and rarely with Natalia... you can't win playing like a Russian in Brazilian league... the other hitters get too little balls

• A series of highly controversial topics about volleyball in Brazil have been discussed at greater lengh by Brazilian media for several weeks. I'm going to write down three of them here.

1) CVB and Ary Graça
    The issue involving CBV came out when José Cruz, UOL's blogger, decided to publish a post about behind scenes in the new management of CBV on 30th January. According to him, the acting president Walter Pitombo found a suspicious documentation that could imply Ary Graça to be on the take of suspicious activities and that he intends to go about it.

On 24th February, ESPN's journalist Lúcio Castro started out to write the series Dossiê Vôlei in order to clear it up. This is the result of his own investigation.
    According to this, CBV has been signing contracts with private enterprises that the owners are CBV's members themselves. A way of making volleyball money going to their own pockets.
    As a matter of fact, CBV has signed a R$ 10 millions contract in 2012 with SMP as a payment on the negotiations with Banco do Brasil, a historical sponsor. The SMP's owner is CBV's CEO from 1997 to 2000 and then from 2013 till February 27th Marcos Pina. The point is, why they need to pay out R$ 10 millions to an intermediary in order to make a deal with a long-term sponsor (since 1991) and then to administer that, when they can do it by themselves without paying nothing for this? Further, Banco do Brasil denies the mediator. They said they signed a contract directly with CBV. The latter also told TV Globo that negociations with the bank were always made directly with them which means at any time SMP took part at it and was earning so much money for doing nothing.
    In his own defence, Marcos Pina alleges the contract is legal and was made before he took over CBV's administration.
    He is no longer CBV's chief executive officer since this report came out.

UOL's blogger Juca Kfouri remembered a similar case happened in 1997. At that time, CBV also paid 40% from a contract with Banco do Brasil to Sportsmedia, an enterprise with an affiliate in Uruguay. One of the stakeholders was Leonardo Grynner, ex-chief of sports at Globo who negociates volleyball broadcasting in Brazil with CBV.

There are other things concerning this topic but I'm not in the mood for writing because it wears me out.

2) Fernandinha, Fê Ísis and Barueri
    As we all know, Fernandinha and Fê Ísis aren't training with the team any more. The coach Maurício Thomas alleges they tried to overthrow him and he decided on keeping them away.
    According to him, Ferandinha thinks she is the coach and didn't accept to be taken out against Pinheiros. He told Voloch, UOL's blogger, she tried to make use of her relationship with a Barueri's executive to be rid of him.
    He also said Fê Ísis was trying to let him down and that he can prove everything he was talking about.

Fernandinha and Fê Ísis denies these stuffs and are saying the president scheduled an appointment with all them, but he didn't show up to explain his reasons. They had no chance to defend themselves.

As far as I know, they've been paid but aren't with the team any more. At least, that's Fernandinha's case.

3) Praia Clube and Mari
    To sum up, Lancenet's blogger Daniel Bortoletto wrote a post on 1st February about a hot dispute between Mari and the coach Spencer Lee in a private drill with the reserves. She asked him more playtime and he argued with her.

After this, he gathered together the whole team to stand on that. He told them how he has been pushed for better results. In fact, Praia Clube raised their budget this season and therefore the pressure on better results is natural.

I think girls and staff left it behind and are hanging in there. He lined-up Mari several times after this and also gave her Viva Vôlei last time. In Brazil, the staff picks the MVP. Hope the best for them!

Foreigners
    Unfortunately, the level of the league is average this season and some matches are painful to watch. I'm waiting to things panning out in the playoffs.
    Anyway, here you can have some of the foreigner's best out as they are top charting stats on the following topics.

Brankica Mihajlovic (Unilever comes first) :D
    Spikers: 6th (189 spikes, 76 faults, 252 shots, 517 atts, 21.86%)
    Servers: 10th (19 aces, 31 faults, 194 hits, 244 atts, 7.79%)
    Diggers: 10th* (153 digs, 52 faults, 10 receptions, 215 atts, 46.98%)

*It's not a surprise but interesting anyway. That's one of the points Unilever's staff will always pull players through. They can really work miracles here.
    In fact, Branca was in a better position before some small injuries she had and took her out for a while. Once she bounced back and is taking the court again, she is moving forward and catching up with best diggers one more time.

Sarah Pavan
    Scorers: 9th (252 – 221 spikes, 24 blocks and 7 serves)
    Spikers: 2nd (221 spikes, 79 faults, 287 shots, 587 atts, 24.19%)

Catherina Bosetti
    Receivers: 8th (175 excellents, 22 faults, 205 receptions, 402 atts, 38.06%)

Kristin Hildebrand
    Spiker: 4th (158 spikes, 64 faults, 196 shots, 418 atts, 22.49%)
    Diggers: 1st* (195 digs, 48 faults, 11 receptions, 254 atts, 57.87%)

There's a video made by a local TV about her.

Zé is saying that she enjoys digging like all americans, she has improved on passing* and her fast legs allows her teams to play with a lot of speed while giving her easy access to tough balls.
    *Not a surprise too. Vôlei Amil is one of the best staffs in the world to work on passing.
    She is also talking about her personal experience in Brazil.

Yael Castiglione
    Setters: 1st (307 running sets, 39 faults, 860 still sets, 1206 atts, 22.22%)

• Fofão and Kim Glass will be back for today's match.

Vôlei Amil v Unilever will be a preview of the semifinals. That's a must-see match-up.

Given that Amil is going to play on home turf twice over in the playoffs against us (I guess it's safe to say!), it will be great to show them what we can do there if we are able to.
    Serve and block are the best of us so far and our weapons today. I think we need to keep on serving well with Roberta and Branca (Amanda and Régis also are always helpful taking the court to this) to take out their quick attacks in order to let our block work properly. Carol and Juciely are in a roll at blocking this season. If Amil has a 3 pass all the time, this will be really hard to us.
    On Amil's side, I guess they will try to pressure us on service cause our passing is hell untill now. If they do I can see no way of beating them.
    I hope our girls making it easy on Fofão on her comeback and not screwing up our pass.

Kristin is promoting the event in portuguese. :flower:

• Unilever really need Fofão to come back...and soon....and well! Or the road will be really hard in playoffs already in quarter finals.

Roberta is learning..but she gives no room for the team to make mistakes....because her sets...well..not only she makes bad choices, which is normal for a setter who is gaining experience, but sometimes she always makes mistakes in execution..and that for me is the big problem in her game. She is a good setter, but she let the nervous take her...

other than that I feel the team over all is growing. The team is playing better...Mihajlovic is more secured in reception..Gabi is playing a bit better (though I think maybe everyone, including me, overrated her last season)....

Well lets see what happens...but its clear that with Roberta as starting setter....things wont go well...

• Quarterfinals schedule unveiled: http://www.cbv.com.br/v1/noticias.asp?IdNot=19575

Unilever is the second worst reception in the league. Even teams with a shoestring budget are better than us at this. The point is that Unilever is way better than them in the other elements of the game. Nonetheless, this is not working against Molico and Vôlei Amil.
    Yesterday, every time we had to receive we were in trouble. First game was a toss-up just because Molico did 6 service faults. Fabi was not playing and Valeskinha (MB) took the court at libero instead of her. Anyway, we are not 13th at passing cause of her. Before yesterday's match we were even worse (14th).

The upside is Gabi looking up. In the past 4 matches, we could see her arm rotation is already faster like it used to be. She just need to boost her confidence to improve her efficiency at hitting.
    I think our staff was smart giving Fofão another rest. With this 2 and 1 pass, she could get another injury and there's no point in risking her by now.

• But Unilever cant get a break...we look like Serbia NT this season...

yesterday Valeskinha played as libero, cause Fabi injuried...

I think Unilever couldnt play not even 5 matches in a row with complete team...is impossible to gain rhythm like that....and now its just to late...

honestly I dont think...if we pass quarter finals...that we can beat Amil at this point...2 or 3 matches...even if Fofão retunrs completely, wont be enough for the team to gain shape again...

• It will be really hard. Maybe the hardest one in recent years, though Vôlei Amil letting up in 3rd and 4th game was hopeful. It seems Unilever is definitely going to lose in the semifinals.
    Nevertheless, I think they just need to hone a little bit the passing and do what they werealready doing in the other matches at serving and blocking to beat Amil.
    I wouldn't say we were playing possum, but I guess Bernardinho was very smart taking out Fofão those two matches and Fabi now. I gotta an uncanny feeling he's saving the best for the end and the game isn't over til the ref blows the whistle.
    Amil is the favourite, but maybe we will take them for a ride. :dance6:

• Molico is the favourite for the championship. We were talking about the semifinals. If there's no surprise, Molico/Nestlé v Sesi-SP will be semifinal 1 and Unilever v Vôlei Amil semifinal 2. Vôlei Amil is playing better so far, that's why they are the favourites.

• Vôlei Amil is playing better so far, that's why they are the favourites.

True, but they are also relying much on Tandara and she's sprained her ankle in the last game. From what I read she's quite okay, but that could affect her game later. They haven't said for how long she'll be out.

Also, Paula Pequeno got injured too. And that was right ankle.
    Herrera will have artroscopy on Monday.

• True, but they are also relying much on Tandara and she's sprained her ankle in the last game. From what I read she's quite okay, but that could affect her game later. They haven't said for how long she'll be out.

Also, Paula Pequeno got injured too. And that was right ankle.
    Herrera will have artroscopy on Monday.

She will be ok. If needed, they still can rest her against São Caetano.

• I wouldn't say we were playing possum, but I guess Bernardinho was very smart taking out Fofão those two matches and Fabi now. I gotta an uncanny feeling he's saving the best for the end and the game isn't over til the ref blows the whistle.
    Amil is the favourite, but maybe we will take them for a ride. :dance6:

I'm not a Unilever fan, but I'm sure the coach knows he needs to give his main players a rest. Unilever is a mess this season, definitely not at the same level of Molico, Amil and Sesi, but you can't ignore a team with Fofão, Fabi, Juciely, Gabi and Sarah Pavan. Also, the staff has been making Mihajlovic practise passing to exhaustion. Once Fofão is back, with all due respect to Roberta, things will be better. I still believe Unilever can reach the final once again, though I think nobody will take the title from Molico. It's funny because if Unilever makes it to the final, we'll be seeing the same clash to decide Superliga's trophy for the tenth year in a row. :what:

• No rest for Brasilia Volei. During the training Camilla Adão broke crucial ligament in her right knee :white:
    Paula won't play in the first match against Osasco.

Also. If I correctly understand what Jaqueline is writin on her twitter, it seems that CBV changed the rules with Athlete's Ranking - there will be only two 7-point players per team. Jaque is furious with this change: My God, where am I going to play? What I will do next season? Only 2 athletes per team 7 points!! And I'm one of them ...
    But the men's league (as Murilo wrote) will continue with 3 players.

• No rest for Brasilia Volei. During the training Camilla Adão broke crucial ligament in her right knee :white:

Also. If I correctly understand what Jaqueline is writin on her twitter, it seems that CBV changed the rules with Athlete's Ranking - there will be only two 7-point players per team. Jaque is furious with this change: My God, where am I going to play? What I will do next season? Only 2 athletes per team 7 points!! And I'm one of them ...

Jaque dramatic as always. :lol: She won't be unemployed for sure.

• Jaque is so dramatic, oh my God! I don't agree with this new rule, but teams will fight for her and will pay how much she askes for. She might not play in Osasco, but there is Sesi and Campinas in São Paulo state and also Unilever in Rio. They all might want her. Anyway, I even think Osasco will want her instead of Sheilla, so Jaque should stop complaining and doing so much drama and wait for season to be over and contracts to be renewed or not.

like noone knows about this fact :lol: :whistle:

• Aw, come on, maybe she's applying for the role in one of the soap operas and all of you are just bashing her unmercifully.. :D

The ranking for this season: http://www.cbv.com.br/v1/super…OFICIAL_FEM_2013-2014.pdf