Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• Teams already qualified :
    host -- Brazil
    world cup (8-23.Sep.2015) -- USA
    world cup (8-23.Sep.2015) -- Italy
    continental tournament South America (9-11.Oct.2015 host: Venezuela) -- Argentina
    continental tournament Norceca (8-10.Jan.2016 host: Canada) -- Cuba
    continental tournament Europe (5-10.Jan.2016 host: Germany) -- Russia
    continental tournament Africa (7-12.Jan.2016 host: Republic of the Congo) -- Egypt
    continental tournament Asia (28.May-5.Jun.2016 host: Japan) -- Iran
    world tournament (28.May-5.Jun.2016 host: Japan) -- Poland
    world tournament (28.May-5.Jun.2016 host: Japan) -- France
    world tournament (28.May-5.Jun.2016 host: Japan) -- Canada
    intercontinental tournament (3-5.Jun.2016 host: Mexico) -- Mexico

This post/thread is to collect all information and results of qualification process to Olympic Games 2016.

http://www.fivb.org/viewPressR….asp?No=37309&Language=en

• According to IOC Official, Brasil have the worst preperation for a Olympic Games ever.`They have so much time, as well as the preperation for the FIFA WORLD CUP (the longest preperation time ever) :sos:

• Two threads merged in one ^^, there's no need to double thread when it has already existed :hit: :teach:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Japan is confirmed as World Cup host, however it will be much earlier than normal in 2015.
    http://www.jva.or.jp/index.php/topics/20140811-2

Round 1, September 8-10 and 12-13, Hiroshima and Hamamatsu
    Round 2, September 16-18, Osaka and Toyama
    Round 3, September 21-23, Tokyo (Yoyogi and Metropolitan Gymnasium)

Still a 12 team round robin tournament

• Wait. Is this confirmed yet?

In this system the next year continental championships mean REALLY a lot. For teams who didn't qualify through the World Cup, they MUST get top 3 in their corresponding continental championship to get a chance to be qualified for the Olympics...

This is crazy, especially for European teams. Poland must have very big challenges in 2015.

• German federation released the (final?) qualification process for Rio 2016. Matthias posted it already in the girls thread.....

In the short form it will look like this:

Qualification overview:

1) World Cup (2 spots)
    2) Continental Qualifications (5 spots)*
    3) 8 participants world qualification-tournament in Japan (3 spots)
    4) Vierer-Turnier (1 spot), no european teams involved

*asian qualification will take place during 3)

The more detailed version looks like this: http://www.volleyball-verband.…/52Xanw6fLk2VKD3pweks.pdf

As far as european teams are concerned, there will be a maximum of 5 teams in Rio. Hopefully, at least one of Poland/Russia/Italy will already qualify on World Cup, otherwise the european tournament will become a massacre with a lot of sad faces afterwards.

source: http://www.volleyball-verband.…vs6r2hgtrt7v52bnu0atg03j7

• Only 5 teams from Europe? Shouldn't the strongest go?

As i wrote, that would already be the maximum. If, lets say, only Russia takes a spot from World Cup then we will have max 4 european teams.

I don't have an idea what led FIVB to exclude european team from 4th round, but lets see it positively: we are going to have a very good and for sure emotional european qualification tournament in January 2016..... :S
    Are there any rumours about the venue?

• I think this is the same as Ching's post from October, and as I commented to Ching's post, this formula is indeed a disaster for European teams. If the European qualification were combined with European Championship, only the top 3 teams of ECh would get a chance to qualify OG. Although Poland, Russia and Italy have another chance on the World Cup but we still need to see if Brazil are gonna participarte and how USA play in that tournament.

Will be an extremely intense year in 2015. Hold your breath.

Only 5 teams from Europe? Shouldn't the strongest go?

Should never had elected Graca to be the president I guess.

• I was just having this one last hope: Graca did mention that the major sponsors of FIVB now are Poland, Italy, Japan and Brazil. I bet Poland won't be happy if they're confirmed to miss the Olympics at a very early stage (say don't get top 3 positions in ECH so that automatically disqualify for the OG qualification tournament in Japan). I don't know if at that time the formula would be subject to change from the pressure of hugest volleyball-fanatical country.

Oh btw I'm not a fan of Graca and I have no idea if he's secretly doing Brazil a favor. Well by this formula Brazil are definitely welcoming weaker opponents at the OG, just saying.

• ....(say don't get top 3 positions in ECH so that automatically disqualify for the OG qualification tournament in Japan). .....

Just to clarify: ECH doesn't play a direct role for european olympic qualification. There will be a seperate qualification tournament in january 2016, with 8 participants, who will be determined by CEV ranking. :teach:

For me assuring continental diversity has priority over just getting the 12 strongest teams in the world for the tournament. Honestly, the 6th team of Europe whoever it is is not such a big loss... we only need Russia and Poland to ensure a good tournament :rolll:

• http://www.fivb.org/viewPressR…57&Language=en#.VJR-osgKA

African Qualification Tournament will play Jan-Mar 2016. 16 teams from 7 zones.

http://www.cev.lu/News.aspx?Ne…0&Sd=1/1/1900&Ed=1/1/1900

European Qualification Tournament will play 5-10 January 2016. 8 teams for the competition Host + top7 CEV ranking will compete in the tournament. The winners will get olympic ticket 2nd and 3rd will go to Japan for WOQT.

From the news of AVC, they will use AVC championship as Asian Qualification Tournament, but the news from CEV Asian Qualification Tournament will combine with the WOQT.

I confuse.

• For me assuring continental diversity has priority over just getting the 12 strongest teams in the world for the tournament. Honestly, the 6th team of Europe whoever it is is not such a big loss... we only need Russia and Poland to ensure a good tournament :rolll:

I respectfully disagree with every statement of this writing. Going to olympics should be deserved, not gift. Apart from USA and Brazil every major world team is in Europe. Argentina is a good team, but not medal contender, despite the great coach and setting.

• From the news of AVC, they will use AVC championship as Asian Qualification Tournament, but the news from CEV Asian Qualification Tournament will combine with the WOQT.

I confuse.

no, first 3 teams of avc championship + japan will participate in the asian qualification tournament which is combined with world qualification tournament.

• .......... Germany (Berlin) will host the men's tournament.
    2nd and 3rd team from each tournament will participate in the World Olympic Qualification Tournamens held in Japan between late May and early June.

http://blokaut.net/aktualnosci…ijskich+2016+europejskich

Olympic qualifiying tournament in Berlin, thats cool news 8)