Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• A ranking race. I already wrote this somewhere here. 4 years results in WCH, Continental championship, WGP/WL, WC and GCC decide who goes to the OG.

There would be no African teams ever for volleyball in the Olympics if we went with the straight ranking system and the IOC will not have that. Plus with FIVB trying to promote the game around the world, they will have to give a slot to the African qualifier.

So in a 12 team tournament, there is always a weak team in one of the two groups.

If we wanted to change qualification it could be like this.

World Cup: Host plus Continental Champions, World Champions and the next 5 top seeded teams regardless of region. Top 2 or 3 teams. Or it could be split into two groups of 6 with semifinals and final (if top 3 teams). Fewer games but more drama for the 3rd place match.

Combine the Americas into one qualifying group. South American with only 10 countries (really about 4-5 consistently play) has too much say. Could Argentina beat out Dominican Republic, Cuba, Puerto Rico or Canada for the 2nd or 3rd spot? Brazil and the USA would be leading contenders for the single spot.

For Asia to have a single qualifying tournament. Do not include them with the other European and North American teams. This would then allow smaller 4 team tournaments with other continents as your World Qualifiers after all Continents have played their tournaments.

Plus have the draws for the World tournaments be seeded by FIVB Ranking.

• So in a 12 team tournament, there is always a weak team in one of the two groups.

except in london, there were 2 and they both ended up in the same pool, benefitting DOM (among others), which got an easy path to QF…

i have said this many times, i don't think it benefits asian teams to have the asian qual. combined with world qual., it's truly a stupid system. why should THA play SER to gain the asian spot, it all screws up the continental qualifying process. not to mention all the match fixing and calculations.

the idea to combine north and south america is a good one though.

• This is from FIVB website:

As for the World qualification tournament, it clearly says that the winner, the runner-up and the 3rd placed go to Rio, plus the best ranked Asian team. So, the reserved place for the Asian team is independent of the top 3.
    It's unfair and I disagree with it, but that's the way it is.

If you see this the discussion will end: link

• For me it is to sad to see Argentina in Rio and no stronger teams like Turkey, Germany or any other European teams that deserve to be there X(

• For me it is to sad to see Argentina in Rio and no stronger teams like Turkey, Germany or any other European teams that deserve to be there X(

Brazil is host, and someone has to qualify from CSV. Complain about the world/intercontinental qualifiers or go cry to church :wavy:

• Worth imagining....

If Japan, Korea and Thailand get the 3 tickets in world quali....than Kazakhstan would get the Asian ticket even if they lost all games 3x0...... :whistle: :drink: :olympia:

No, the best placed Asian team gets the Asian ticket. Then then others would be in, except Kazakhstan. If Japan was first, Korea 2nd and Thailand 3rd. The fourth place team would get in from any region.

• i think from world qual, we'll have JPN, ITA, NED and DOM go through as the 4 qualifiers (maybe KOR might upset one of the above and get in). and PUR will win the ICQT.

you think this is bad? did you see what is happening in the men's qualifying? in the ICQT, it'll be MEX, CHI, TUN and ALG. there's good chance that MEX or a 2nd african team will be in rio!

• Worth imagining....

If Japan, Korea and Thailand get the 3 tickets in world quali....than Kazakhstan would get the Asian ticket even if they lost all games 3x0...... :whistle: :drink: :olympia:

Worth imagining....

only if JPN, KOR and THA beat DOM, ITA and NED, right? won't happen, as brahmin says.

again, it's utter stupidity by fivb to merge asian qual. with world qual.

• Canada's libero and middle blocker were awarded as the Best Libero and the Best Middle of the North American Olympic Qualifiers. I was actually right! They were very good against USA. The Canadian libero bested Castillo. Brenda was the best receiver though.

• No, the best placed Asian team gets the Asian ticket. Then then others would be in, except Kazakhstan. If Japan was first, Korea 2nd and Thailand 3rd. The fourth place team would get in from any region.

That's what NORCECA writes. FIVB writes something different, and according to FIVB's version which I trust more than NORCECA's version, Joana's scenario is indeed possible.

• Volleyball.it once again makes everything clear: http://www.volleyball.it/notizie.asp?n=112286&l=0

Top three ranked teams and the best Asian team outside the Top 3 will get the tickets. End of discussion.

But Japan federation states vice versa here . In g translate it is not very clear but I think it says first best Asian then best 3. Need some Japanese help! :sos:

(1) アジアの最上位1チーム

(2) (1)を除いた7チームの内上位3チーム

• Matthias is right, historically it always happened this way. You must be in the top 3 as a non-Asian team in order to qualify.

But, in 2004 we had situation in WOQT :

1. Japan
    2. South Korea
    3. Russia
    4. Italy
    5. Thailand

In 2004 FIVB counted Japan as the best Asian team, and Italy advanced to the Olympics, not Thailand. I think that similar system FIVB would approve in 2016 :)

Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - Olympic Games 2012
    Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - European Championship 2015
    Silver Medal
    - Prediction Game - Women's - Olympic Games 2012

がんばれ 日本!