2014 FIVB World Grand Prix

• This shows that USAV was just a fluke. USA hasn't learned anything at all. by this time, very near at the WCH, they are still very unstable and prone to errors. ?(:|

Davis: after all these years, with two olympics lost because of her, she's still with the NT?

• Can someone please repeat why is Esra not in NT anymore.. I remember there was a story about her and Gulden retiring(?).. She was needed before but right now there are only 2 OHs since there is no real OPP

Motta used two libero system with Gülden and Gizem. Then Barbolini started to use only one libero and he smartly (!) has chosen our reception retarded libero Gizem as first libero. Gülden declared her retirement afterwards. Esra's reason was probably more personal, she just got married and most probably want to spend time with her husband. However, she had an amazing season in Eczacıbaşı last season. She was by far the most solid player of Eczacıbaşı, she was even better than Gözde at reception while as good as at attack :obey: Such kind of player is what we need nowadays. With her, Gözde and Neriman, we had more balanced OH options. We will have again many troubles when Neslihan come back and we would start to play regular game with Neriman also receives :S

• Kiraly made so many wrong decisions, big test will be WCH. IMHO no medal should mean - bye bye Karch :wavy:

This is my big wish, but we all know USAVolleyball works on 4 years programs (every olympic cycle). So I have no hope we can have a real coach after the WCH. ;(

I'm not really Hodge's big fan, but she is supposed to be one of the best spikers on very speed sets. Not to mention Destinee or Logan or Lindsey... I miss them all.

• Great match, apart from some of the errors. both these teams play very hard and fast volleyball - so some of the errors are to be expected. Brazil played a bit better and made more points in transition. Dani Lins made a lot of mistakes on a lot of balls by being imprecise and some bad decisions - at times on both sides players got caught up in the manic play!!! USA were very concentrated on Garay- having been Brazil's best player in all their friendlies, they did a good job of putting solid blocks on her and Jacqueline - Dani Lins needed to set Garay a slightly higher ball to give her more options.. but it seems they were using Garay to open up holes in the block because whenever she was blocked and the recycled, they made the point elsewhere - not sure if this was a planned tactic.

USA still trying to make their quick offense work -they do a good job of defending the attackers, but still struggle to fracture the Brazilian block (It seems to work for them against Russia and everyone else. But then Brazil has got the best blockers.

Again like in Olympics - solid passing from Garay and Jacqueline - as a passing unit they are world class.

I feel like had Dani Lins been slightly more precise, Brazil would have even been more dominant in this match...

• I was really apprehensive on Camila Brait being the new starter libero in our NT and I've gotta admit, she's my favorite player so far this GP. :obey:

I had the same fears and Camila just proved me so wrong. She's very impressive, especially in defence, but solid in the reception too. I think that maybe having Jaqueline beside her gave her a lot of confidence and took away the problem of covering Natalia all the time.

ravens#7 wrote:

I'm not really Hodge's big fan, but she is supposed to be one of the best spikers on very speed sets. Not to mention Destinee or Logan or Lindsey... I miss them all.

Same here.
    Btw, Karch was asked about Destinee by Brazilian press, melhordovolei. And he said something like 'well, Destinee just had a baby, she's focusing on her family, out of shape, trying to recover and return to the level needed to play in the NT'. Rrright :lol:

• USA Brazil stats say it all -

USA with 150 attacking attempts compared to only 127 for Brazil, but

They gave away 22 errors to only 9

Brazil had 69 block opportunities to only 48 from USA

On both sides the match was mainly about the middles and opposites..

• I don't understand why you guys don't trust Camilina at all. 2 seasons ago she was the best libero in world IMHO, then her level dropped a bit, expecially because she had to to play beside 2 solid players like Jaque and Fe Garay, having few work to do and looking less shinign, then she had to play beside players like Bosetti and Malagurski, having to cover most of the court. From Heaven to Hell for her reception job. :lol: In high level matches she can shine even playing into a world class players team, because she is one of them! :teach:

Hooker told about the NT that it isn't her team, not anymore, but she still supports the girls. So Kiraly says something, Destinee says something else.

• I don´t know why people here complains so much about Kiraly. I know he is not as good as Hugh was foi USA NT, but still does his job well. Obviously that system "set-as-fast-as-you-can" has big problems, buecause note many players can copy with that. Still, I think the team will improve in his hands...

• I don't understand why you guys don't trust Camilina at all. 2 seasons ago she was the best libero in world IMHO, then her level dropped a bit, expecially because she had to to play beside 2 solid players like Jaque and Fe Garay, having few work to do and looking less shinign, then she had to play beside players like Bosetti and Malagurski, having to cover most of the court. From Heaven to Hell for her reception job. :lol: In high level matches she can shine even playing into a world class players team, because she is one of them! :teach:

I think for the most part I've just been slightly biased towards Fabi because she's one of my favorites and I was afraid Camila wouldn't be able to do her job as well as Fabi did. And then her level dropped a bit, as you said, and this fear increased quite a bit. But now I'm confident she's just what this NT needs in the libero position. :D

Gold - European Championship 2013 (M) Prediction Game
    Bronze - World Championship 2014 (W) Prediction Game

Bronze - Volleyball Nations League 2019 (W) Prediction Game

• Manabe´s system is very "vintage". Teams used to play this system in the late 70's and early 80´s. If I´m not wrong, asian teams (Korea and Japan) played with this system as well as Peru.
    But as you said, both are failing. Btw, i dont know what´s going on with Saori. She is playing under her level in the last matches.

• Manabe´s system is very "vintage". Teams used to play this system in the late 70's and early 80´s. If I´m not wrong, asian teams (Korea and Japan) played with this system as well as Peru.
    But as you said, both are failing. Btw, i dont know what´s going on with Saori. She is playing under her level in the last matches.

What you mean was a bit different. For example Peru in 1988 Olympics used it. The only real MB was lined up opposite the setter and 4 OHs around them, so the setter and the OPP both played on position 3 and the other players on 4 and 2. Manabe has the only real MB on a normal MB position and Nagaoka on the other MB position most of the time but not playing like a "normal" MB....so it's a bit different from the "old" system, but either way not working well.

• What you mean was a bit different. For example Peru in 1988 Olympics used it. The only real MB was lined up opposite the setter and 4 OHs around them, so the setter and the OPP both played on position 3 and the other players on 4 and 2. Manabe has the only real MB on a normal MB position and Nagaoka on the other MB position most of the time but not playing like a "normal" MB....so it's a bit different from the "old" system, but either way not working well.

Manabe sometimes comes back to system with 2 nominal MBs becuase except Kana Ohno, Mai Yamaguchi is Universal player, who's playing as MB right now, but it still doesn't work :wacko: then Nagaoka is coming back as OP because Ebata is playing weakly nowadays...

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• What you mean was a bit different. For example Peru in 1988 Olympics used it. The only real MB was lined up opposite the setter and 4 OHs around them, so the setter and the OPP both played on position 3 and the other players on 4 and 2. Manabe has the only real MB on a normal MB position and Nagaoka on the other MB position most of the time but not playing like a "normal" MB....so it's a bit different from the "old" system, but either way not working well.

Thanks for the information :win: However, today I watched Miyashita and Yamaguchi playing as MBs. Or maybe I´m totally confused :what:

• Thanks for the information :win: However, today I watched Miyashita and Yamaguchi playing as MBs. Or maybe I´m totally confused :what:

You must have missed something ^^ Yamaguchi appears as MB and here You're right, but Haruka Miyashita is definitely Setter :teach:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game