2014 FIVB World Grand Prix

• Back to RUS-GER match, I think it was a key decision replacing Podskalnaya with Fetisova starting 2nd set. After that Russian block seemed to click gear however the young MBs are still inexperienced blocking the ball from middle attacks from Germany. Russia was just too good on the outside, but I want them to use their middles more :whistle:

• I'm torn about this F6, on one hand it's good that Russia advancing to the final round it's been 3 years since the last time they're in the final.On the other hand i don't know whether Russian girls can handle this exhausted schedule or not after traveling across the globe,tough fight in every match and next match starting in less than 2 days.

i hope Marichev gives chances to all players and doesn't overuse Kosheleva because her body is so fragile, the real deal is WCH not WGP.

Lastly, best of luck to all team whether participated in F6 or not ,we don't want to see any player gets injured before WCH. :rose:

• I don't know what to think about China.. during F6 will be stronger or weaker without Zhu and Hui?

• Japanese roster :

S : Miyashita, Nakamichi
    MB : Yamaguchi, Ohno
    OH : Kimura, Takada, Ishida, Nagaoka, Uchiseto, Ebata, Ishii, Shinnabe
    L : Sano, Tsutsui

Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - Olympic Games 2012
    Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - European Championship 2015
    Silver Medal
    - Prediction Game - Women's - Olympic Games 2012

がんばれ 日本!

• Today's press conference, Manabe introduced new strategy is Hybrid 6. Can you tell me more about this strategy? Thank you :)

• Today's press conference, Manabe introduced new strategy is Hybrid 6. Can you tell me more about this strategy? Thank you :)

It's the improved version of MB1. More like a MB0 with 5 OH/OPP combo to ensure at least 3 attackers available for every rotations.
    He said he has experimented Hybrid 6 throughout the preliminary rounds; I think he waited for the 2014 WGP final round to officially name his new strategy for the team towards the 2016 Rio OG.

• It's the improved version of MB1. More like a MB0 with 5 OH/OPP combo to ensure at least 3 attackers available for every rotations.
    He said he has experimented Hybrid 6 throughout the preliminary rounds; I think he waited for the 2014 WGP final round to officially name his new strategy for the team towards the 2016 Rio OG.

can you give more details? How will it work when setter is in front row?

• Sorry for the misunderstanding. when i mentioned 3 attackers, I include the back-row attackers as well. So when Miyashita is in front, the 3 attackers will be from left and right as well as a back row attacker running from position 6 (as if hitting from position 3). This is be their tactic to prevent establishment of 2 blockers as well as to confuse the opponent MB from guessing where the ball is going to be set.
    From what I observed, Miyashita tends to stay at position 3 for blocking throughout her 3 rotations in front.

• To increase the speed of attacking from position 2 and 4 as soon as the opponent's attack is dug.
    • Miyashita is taller then the rest of the setters.
  • Sorry for the misunderstanding. when i mentioned 3 attackers, I include the back-row attackers as well. So when Miyashita is in front, the 3 attackers will be from left and right as well as a back row attacker running from position 6 (as if hitting from position 3). This is be their tactic to prevent establishment of 2 blockers as well as to confuse the opponent MB from guessing where the ball is going to be set.
    From what I observed, Miyashita tends to stay at position 3 for blocking throughout her 3 rotations in front.

• To increase the speed of attacking from position 2 and 4 as soon as the opponent's attack is dug.
    • Miyashita is taller then the rest of the setters.

Correct if I'm wrong but the difference is that when the setter is in the front, there is no middle attack ball, right?!
    Because the back row attack has been used for any NT when the setter is in the front, so I don't see what's so new with this...

• Correct if I'm wrong but the difference is that when the setter is in the front, there is no middle attack ball, right?!
    Because the back row attack has been used for any NT when the setter is in the front, so I don't see what's so new with this...

Normally, you'll still have a MB when your setter is in front. But in Hybrid 6 you will have Nagaoka(Ishida) and Ohno (Yamaguchi) standing in the MB position.
    When the setter is in front row, these players tend to attack from position 2/4 like OP/OH, but Ohno tends to get fast set at zone 3, while Yamaguchi back-slides to position 2.
    When the setter is in the back row, these players will hit in position 3, getting shorter sets to hit from position 3 for Ohno and Yamaguchi, or slower middle high sets for Nagaoka and Ishida.

All in all, i think 'Hybrid 6' is just a fancy term that has no real significant impact to how the Japan NT has been playing since the introduction of MB1.
    So, if you have been watching how Japan NT playing this season, there won't be anything new for you. The only difference is that the head coach 'crowned' their playing style to be 'Hybrid 6'. Maybe next time, it's NINJA SEVEN!

• What's up with this Chinese team? Is this some sort of strategy of preserving the players and/or to avoid injury? Without Zhu, Hui Brazil will walk over the Finals round for sure. Maybe Russia can also do the same and rest Kosheleva and have Bavykina/Obmochaeva take her place but all the hard work from last week will be a waste IMO.

Anyway, what's the format for F6? Sorry for the dumb question, but do teams eliminate each other until two are left?

• What's up with this Chinese team? Is this some sort of strategy of preserving the players and/or to avoid injury? Without Zhu, Hui Brazil will walk over the Finals round for sure. Maybe Russia can also do the same and rest Kosheleva and have Bavykina/Obmochaeva take her place but all the hard work from last week will be a waste IMO.

Anyway, what's the format for F6? Sorry for the dumb question, but do teams eliminate each other until two are left?

Robin round system, whoever gets more points ate the end wins
    And I don't understand Lang Ping strategy either...it did not work last year as they were #4 in the Asian games, for example

• Robin round system, whoever gets more points ate the end wins
    And I don't understand Lang Ping strategy either...it did not work last year as they were #4 in the Asian games, for example

Indeed it might not be a bad idea since CHN doesn't have players who can replace Hui and Zhu in the case of injury. For teams who doesn't have deep rosters to compensate the injury of key players, it might not be good idea to play final round of GP with full roster. For instance, Turkey cannot survive if Gözde or Neriman get any injury, we simply don't have any players to replace them. That's why I just want them not to play full force by avoiding injuries next days although it would be difficult with 5 consecutive high level matches :whistle:

• Hui, Zhu and Wei have injuries while Lang Ping rests Xu since she is the eldest player on court. The main reason is due to their lack of stamina which is vividly shown on the last leg of matches in Macau. The attackers have much lower attacking percentage and could not perform in their top form even they were brought to Tokyo. So Lang Ping might as well use Tokyo as a platform to test which subs will be significant for the team in the future, as the current subs for the team have huge difference with the main 7 players on court.

• And Van Hecke starting on bench today...not sure if she felt some pain or if she is just being rest.....

but this World Grand Prix Finals has everything to be really boring.....I hope Im wrong.