2014 FIVB World Grand Prix

• somebody remind me again how startseva was london 2012's best setter????? all she did was set high to the outside…

i agree that the awards may not be to everybody's taste, but there's some logic to them. as for all the crying about gozde and neriman not getting any, well neither did zeng chunlei and as someone mentioned, she played amazing as well.

Zeng played really good of course but she was not great. Many many times in crucial moments she was blocked or made an errors in 2-3 consecutive attempts..

• A great OH has very solid back row skills and also scores a lot. That's what players like Sonsirma and Jaqueline did this year. Kosheleva also deserved the award for carrying out her team so many times during the entire GP.
    Sano as MVP isn't that much problem for me, especially because it was in Tokyo... but having for example Jaqueline leaving the competition without any individual award is really weird.

• A great OH has very solid back row skills and also scores a lot. That's what players like Sonsirma and Jaqueline did this year. Kosheleva also deserved the award for carrying out her team so many times during the entire GP.
    Sano as MVP isn't that much problem for me, especially because it was in Tokyo... but having for example Jaqueline leaving the competition without any individual award is really weird.

I agree, for me Jaqueline and Gozde created the most balanced pair of OHs here ^^ and none of them didn't get an award ;( they just took two players from Best Spikers Ranking :mad: :thumbdown:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• I agree, for me Jaqueline and Gozde created the most balanced pair of OHs here ^^ and none of them didn't get an award ;( they just took two players from Best Spikers Ranking :mad: :thumbdown:

Well they did it too in WGCC. Sakoda won best OH award and she was playing as MB, and even if they wanted to give her an award it could've been OPP because she wasn't receiving

I didn't like the awards.. Bahar had to win an award.. she was leading the best blocker and server awards till yesterday. She played really consistent and that had to be awarded..

• I didn't like the awards.. Bahar had to win an award.. she was leading the best blocker and server awards till yesterday. She played really consistent and that had to be awarded..

With all due respect to Bahar...and she played really well in this year's WGP....but do you seriously believe she deserves an award more than Fabiana and Thaisa?? There's lightyears between them!

• With all due respect to Bahar...and she played really well in this year's WGP....but do you seriously believe she deserves an award more than Fabiana and Thaisa?? There's lightyears between them!

None of MBs there was even close to Fabiana-Thaisa pair :D Bahar was of the best behind them ^^

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• of course Thaisa is better than Bahar three times normally but in this final tournament Bahar was better. But again Fetisova and Fabiana definitely deserved the awards, too :)

• With all due respect to Bahar...and she played really well in this year's WGP....but do you seriously believe she deserves an award more than Fabiana and Thaisa?? There's lightyears between them!

Of course not. But she was before them in the stats and I think she should be awarded for that.. Fabiana, Thaisa, Foluke and etc are all one of the best on their position in the world and they always play good and contribute a lot, but in this case as I explain she was a leader in both categories...

The same happened in Cl. SHe was the best blocker, Larson did not get an award and because everyone knows she is a great player she got best blocker :down:

• Considering Goncharovas shape, nobady have thought about the fact she is a Ukrainian playing in a Russian team might be a bit problematic right now? How easy is it to live in a country, play for a country and be with people from the nation that is in a war with your own native country? Russians and Ukrainians are not always the best friends right now. Goncharova is born and raised in Lviv, a Pro-Western oblast with many polish influentions.

Oh man, is it really necessary to bring political dirt into volleyball matters?
    Goncharova's performances are diclining to 2 years already if not more. Probably she's just unmotivated to keep working and progressing as before. With strict foreigners policy in Russian champioships she knows she will have a very good contract anyway and she does. Now she knows that no matter what - she will be kept in NT. She's married, she's wealthy, her life is too good to keep punishing herself. She never gave an expression of having an enormous hunger for volleyball victories. I think other things are more important to her. Kosheleva during break was in Croatia getting into form, training, preparing to NT season. Goncharova all June and most of July was travelling with her husband, having rest. That shows now.

• IMHO, FIVB should just give individual awards for each category according to the statistics only (eg, Best Scorer, Best Blocker, etc) and then like the NCAA to name the first/best squad such as Best OH, Best MB, Best Setter.
    But of course, it takes more reward money out from their pocket!

• IMHO, FIVB should just give individual awards for each category according to the statistics only (eg, Best Scorer, Best Blocker, etc) and then like the NCAA to name the first/best squad such as Best OH, Best MB, Best Setter.
    But of course, it takes more reward money out from their pocket!

I don't like best 6 awards, in that case there is no importance of best server in the tournament. It this best 6 will be done, there must be certain rules, even a formula for it. For instance, best opp can be chosen among the spikers by considering best scorers with best spiking ratios. Number of attacking points multiplied by spiking ratio would give a good criteria to choose best opp. To my calculation it must be Zeng who should get best Opp award. Also for best OH, either there must be differentiation like best offensive and defensive OHs (or OH1 and OH2) specifically and give one award to OH who has the best spiking ratio and one award to best receiver OH, or, there can be another formulation which considers both reception and spiking ratios and indicated best all around OHs, which I think for final 6, they were Jacqueline and Gözde :rolleyes: