European Championships 2015 - hosts Italy and Bulgaria

• Still hall is not full, there are some empty seats. What a shame for Italy! Perhaps they chose wrong places to play.

So true! I guess the only day when the hall was full was against France. He really seemed tired.
    Juantorena was receiving ice on his knees during all the set pauses during the match against France. Unfortunately there is no substitution for him. Thats why I think Parodi or Kovar should come back.

• Being a Belgian fan must be the most difficult and frustrating task in the world :aww:

True, there's a recurring theme in 3 of the last 4 games:

• first let your opponent walk all over you and give a set away for free
    • then, finally find some consistency and (almost) take a set from your opponent that's trying to wake up from the nap he slipt into

In 4 games, we lose 5 sets by 7 points or more. This lack of consistency is terrible.

First set against Germany tonight again was an embarrassment.
    In the second set, they have to rely way too much on Deroo.

I think Valkiers played a good tournament, only today he made some questionnable desicions:
    - setting on Baetens in Pipe (on set point!)
    - not keeping Van Walle in the game during second set (and exhausting Deroo too much).

We missed Van de Voorde in top shape (barely recovered from 5 month injury): his skills in blocking and attack are desperately needed.
    Together with Deroo, I consider him the top class player in our line-up, capable of making a difference in games like tonight.

Coach Bayens' reasoning for having Baetens in the line-up, is mainly cause of his serve reception.
    I think Gert-Jan Claes would make a far better choice than Baetens: Claes is more secure in reception, better server and attack.
    However, for some reason, coach Baeyens is choosing consistenty Baetens over Claes (Claes was not in the selection).

Overall, this team isn't progressing anymore: we were able to surprise top teams in the past (Poland, EC2007, France, EC2011-OlympicQT2011, Italy EC2013), but not in this championship.
    We need all our players in top shape, and break-through of some of the younger player;

I hope Rousseaux will be a more frequent choice in future starting line-ups.
    And let's hope Francois Lecat will have some playing opportunity with Verona (next to Sander and U. Kovacevic).
    There's also a rumour that Wijsmans is trying to get some administration done, in order to play in the olympic qualification tournament in January.

• bella, i didn't really follow 2010 WCh, but what i know of it, that it was one of the worst in terms of formats (groups of 3 in the first round? how pathetic).

i guess BEL is the first victim of heynen's slimy tactics. they'd have faced their neighbors NED instead (and GER vs SLO) if things had worked out according to plan…

haven't been able to follow or watch many matches but i'm sorry POR is not here… i always thought they were a decent team.

• Noooo, Finland is robbed.Shame in such an important point.

Yes, and it was not the first time that something like that happen.

Italy won the game. Finland did not deserve to win a single set today, they had their opportunities, but than they star to make mistakes. Sammelvuo will need some years to became a real coach.

• Physical decline of Italian players are evident.I can't see them beating Russia,Poland and France/Serbia/Bulgaria in a row. Reception is in comical level right now. Perhaps Halkbank adventure destroyed Juantorena's reception. Decline of Giannelli's pass quality must be a worrying sign.
    Finland needs to change its coach. This is the worst Finland I've seen.

• This is a problem of volleyball. People just want to watch the games of their own country. They have no interest in watch a good volleyball game.

well, i mostly follow women's game and i have over the years followed in addition to the big teams: KAZ, PUR, DOM, KEN, PER, etc. and i'm not from any of those countries.

men's game is sooooo infuriating sometimes (men are brutes, all they do is scream, complain and bully) and and boring (the players are too big, too tall and it's all hit hard, slam the ball and that's it, no rallies, no finesse or much skills).

• This is a problem of volleyball. People just want to watch the games of their own country. They have no interest in watch a good volleyball game.

Not everyone. I watch other matches, unfortunately I coudln't see them live thanks to an injury,

• Physical decline of Italian players are evident.I can't see them beating Russia,Poland and France/Serbia/Bulgaria in a row. Reception is in comical level right now. Perhaps Halkbank adventure destroyed Juantorena's reception. Decline of Giannelli's pass quality must be a worrying sign.
    Finland needs change its coach. This is the worst Finland I've seen.

Finnish team lacks influx of young talent, imo.
    They're retiring a great generation: Esko, Konnari, Oivanen brothers, ...: smaller countries or smaller federations have a hard time delivering talented players on a steady cadence.
    The Swedish had their generation 87 - 90 (Hedengard, Björne, Gustafsson, Nilsson, Tholse, Saaf), Spain 90'-2000 (Pascual, Molto, Falasca bros, ...), even Czeck team 2000's (Lebl, Dubs, Novak, Rak, ...) and Dutch '90s, ...
    but, after that struggle to build up a new super generation.
    I'm afraid Finland now is at the end of a similar cycle.

• So almost all the results was expected. Maybe the surprise was Serbia losing two sets and Slovenia wining the game without difficulty.

Tomorrow only good games, even Slovenia and Poland. I watched the first game between them and it was a nice game. Both teams made some mistakes but was a fun game.

I really wanna see how Germany will play tomorrow. They decided that Bulgaria was easier, so prove it now. I think if Germany plays well they are favorite. Bulgaria played two disappointing games.

Russia IMO is playing much better than in World Cup with Muserskiy and Mikhailov in their position.

Serbia is a mystery. They can wake up tomorrow and play a good game, but if they play like they did until now i think France will win it.

• Sammelvuo was better to retire his team right after what happened. What a shame from referees! We couldn't even see the ball into the screen, how did they see the touch? Italy would have won it in 4 or 5 sets probably, but it doesn't matter: that point killed Finland, which stopped playing. It is a shame! It should never happen a thing like that. Never!

Finland is a bit out of my radar lately, but what happened to the Oivanen twins? None of them was on court today. Shumov is a weak MB and Ojansivu a decent OP. I wonder why one of the main weapon of Berruto's Finland wasn't into the match. Anyway Italy is poor lately. Kunnari the only good player beside an amazing Tervaportti. Since Berruto left, this team looks ways weaker; just setting improved a lot.

• Slovenia won the game :drink: :super:

Netherlands needs a better coach. They have some good players.

Vermuelen did good job IMO. I heard players wasn't "on the same line" with Benne, especially older ones. Benne brought Holland back on decent level after disastrous results after 2000 but he reach his peak in ECH qualies. Vermuelen managed to convince Bontje and Van Dijk to return in NT.

I don't see really good players in Holland's team. Kooy is good offensive OH but his reception is below any level. That's not strange coz he was opposite. Van Dijk is tall, powerful OPP but he is very slow player. Nimir is smiliar to N'Gapeth (not in terms of quality ofc), showman etc. Bontje is getting old, Koelewijn and Van Bemmelen arent top MB's, Diefenbach is short for MB. Ter Horst lacks match pratice, Andriga is defensive OH, also Rauwerdink...

Yes, I am also very disappointed with the Dutch team. I could not watch the game because I was at work, but the score is surprising to me. The Dutch performance in the group stage was great, based on Slovenia's defeat to Belgium I was certain the Netherlands would make it through. I need to watch it.

Slovenia lost vs Belgium in strange match. IMO they were better side but they lacked mental stability in the end, Belgians were more persistent.

I don't understand why people is underestimating Slovenia 8| they are really good, balanced team but lacked quality coach in previous NT tournaments.

Poor Estonia, heartbreaking :( they were really close to do a BIG UPSET! Estonian libero was really good throught the whole tournment.
    Anyway, nobody expected such a score! Serbia will be swept by France if they keep playong like this. What a pity Italy lost against France...

Don't be so sure about France sweeping Serbia :whistle: . Serbians mentally were in QF's and underestimated Estonia. When they started to play natural game Venno & co. didn't stand a chance.

Heynen calculations was right, he knew Belgians can't cope with his team and picked Bulgaria as weakest opponent in QF's. No one can convince me they arent due all injuries. Biggest Bulgarian strenght is audience, 12 000 great fans but we all know how are they reacting under pressure, unfortunately. They'll need much more tommorow if they want beat the Germans. Forget group match, now Germans will be much more relaxed.

Sounds pretty weird but Russia is the biggest surprise for me. Less than 3 weeks after WC they are looking mighty again, more determined and homogenous. Kovalev's setting style is relatively unknown to other teams, Klyuka's physical abilities are monstrous (especially in attack and block) while Dima and Maxim are dominating as MB and OPP.

Regarding FInland they are in obvious downtrend. Sammelvuo made so many mistakes, especially tactical ones, even on this ECH. I do not know what he wanted to achieve with forcing Sinkkonen and Siirila as MB's, Shumov and Lehtonen are way better and more experienced. Kunnari's and Siltala skills are decreasing from tournament to tournament and only good spots are libero Kerminen and setter Tervaportti. Still they are quite good in field defense but in terms of offensive play and block they are struggling big time.

Finland is a bit out of my radar lately, but what happened to the Oivanen twins? None of them was on court today. Shumov is a weak MB and Ojansivu a decent OP. I wonder why one of the main weapon of Berruto's Finland wasn't into the match. Anyway Italy is poor lately. Kunnari the only good player beside an amazing Tervaportti. Since Berruto left, this team looks ways weaker; just setting improved a lot.

Matti had some roles in WL and during WCH but Mikko's case is a mystery to me. IMO he is better OPP than Ojansivu but seems Sammelvuo trust more to Ojansivu, Rumpunen and Sivula. I was following them closely in last few years, in fact I really liked them as a team, but today's Finland isn't even a shadow of Berutto's Finland.

• Right now I'm not in love with italian game at all, unfortunately.
    Terrible reception on too many level (c'mon, nobody from the bench calling a big IN for Lanza??), especially vs jump serve, as always; very poor at blocking (I miss u Bira <3); not impressive overall as a 'team'.
    I really don't understand why Blegnini started with Piano on serve, since he is serving worst than Buti (worst than everyone, actually, even if with few/no mistakes) and generally playing better than him.
    I wasn't sure of the choice to exchange Massari and Rossini because I thought Rossini should have played instead of Colaci (or at least, be ready to take his place), but that at least kinda worked.
    I would have liked to see Anzani on court for a while.
    And why Piano is the vice-captain (at least among those on court)?

Finland was unbelievable: very good defense on strong spikes, terrible mistakes on easy ball. Really?! They got me mad! I think Zaytsev scored more with simple passing than with spikes xD
    I liked the reception, though.

Terrible mistake by the referee on that inexistent block touch at the end of the third set, unless it didn't touch the other hand and the showed image was wrong.
    In the second imho there was also a bad video-check call on a in/out ball.

Still hall is not full, there are some empty seats. What a shame for Italy! Perhaps they chose wrong places to play.

Damn, I hated that! I don't know if the problem is people didn't expect Italy to play the playoffs, but still there were more Finland and Eston than Italian! And I've seen Busto very full for the women team! I couldn't believe that: unlike Turin, Busto is used to volleyball!

Reception is in comical level right now.

:wall::wall::wall:

I guess that the consequence of having only Sottile with (sometimes) a decent float serve. I always thought we need the girls to train properly vs float serve :lol:

The Italians look more and more exhausted as the tournament goes on. It's not a secret that reception collapse is the first sign that the team is spent.

Unfortunately I think you're right. That's gonna be really tough.

Russia IMO is playing much better than in World Cup with Muserskiy and Mikhailov in their position.

Serbia is a mystery. They can wake up tomorrow and play a good game, but if they play like they did until now i think France will win it.

I agree on both ^^

• Vermuelen did good job IMO. I heard players wasn't "on the same line" with Benne, especially older ones. Benne brought Holland back on decent level after disastrous results after 2000 but he reach his peak in ECH qualies. Vermuelen managed to convince Bontje and Van Dijk to return in NT.

I don't see really good players in Holland's team. Kooy is good offensive OH but his reception is below any level. That's not strange coz he was opposite. Van Dijk is tall, powerful OPP but he is very slow player. Nimir is smiliar to N'Gapeth (not in terms of quality ofc), showman etc. Bontje is getting old, Koelewijn and Van Bemmelen arent top MB's, Diefenbach is short for MB. Ter Horst lacks match pratice, Andriga is defensive OH, also Rauwerdink...

I agree with you that Netherlands do not have a really good player. None of them are close to be a star in their clubs. Maybe Dick Kooy is the best, but he do not have a good reception.

I dont like Nimir, imo a setter that attack more than MBs is not good. Van Harskamp has a better conection with MBs than Nimir. Nimir should try another position. :lol:

I already watched some good games of Koelewijn in NT, but this year he did not have a lot of opportunities. Van Bemmelen is too slow and weak.

I have doubts if Netherlands played a decent ECh, because they played against Czech Republic (i watched only 5th set against Bulgaria and i dont know how they lost 2 sets to this team), Germany B team (they used Andrei as Opp in some moment because whith Schops Heynen could not lose this game), and Bulgaria that is not a stable team.

It will be hard to see Netherland in OG again ;(

• I'm pretty sure we will never see the Netherlands at the Olympics again. The main problem is that there's absolutely nothing behind this generation of players. But this is a problem true for half of Europe, starting with Germany, Finland, Belgium... they can all end up like Spain. So the future will have the same countries as nowadays, unless another genius coach can create a team out of nothing. Bulgaria is also in big trouble.

Also there still is an enormous amount of drama in the current Dutch NT, too much pride and entitlement- not sure what is it about, they have maybe two players of world class level and everyone else is an amateur at best.