Unpopular opinions

• What do you guys think of kinesio taping? I know some athletes use it a lot, like in Turkey and some use it very rarely, in the USA.. I have seen only Harmotto, and then Kristin and some others with their clubs..
    I think it's helping.. I've tried it.. but it doesn't help that much... and it also falls off when sweaty so not very practical :D

• Most if not all volleyball players are severely undertrained physically - deadlift should be 2.5 bodyweight and squat should be over 2.2 bodyweight for men and 1.5/2.0 for women.Lack of strength increases risks of injury, decreases stamina and maximum power output /maximum jumping height/.

• What do you guys think of kinesio taping? I know some athletes use it a lot, like in Turkey and some use it very rarely, in the USA.. I have seen only Harmotto, and then Kristin and some others with their clubs..
    I think it's helping.. I've tried it.. but it doesn't help that much... and it also falls off when sweaty so not very practical :D

It's helped me against back and shoulder pain, but it might as well have been the placebo effect :D But as long as it helps I don't really care why it helps...

Most if not all volleyball players are severely undertrained physically - deadlift should be 2.5 bodyweight and squat should be over 2.2 bodyweight for men and 1.5/2.0 for women.Lack of strength increases risks of injury, decreases stamina and maximum power output /maximum jumping height/.

I strongly disagree. Maximum strength doesn't matter at all for volleyball players, too big muscles actually make them slow. Stelian Moculescu even forbade Georg Grozer to do bodybuilding exercises at one point :whistle:

• Most if not all volleyball players are severely undertrained physically - deadlift should be 2.5 bodyweight and squat should be over 2.2 bodyweight for men and 1.5/2.0 for women.Lack of strength increases risks of injury, decreases stamina and maximum power output /maximum jumping height/.

How do you know they don't deadlift 2.5 and squat 2.2? You cannot judge solely on their phisique. I deadlift 2.6 and squat 2.0, I am only 78kg and don't have any excess muscle mass. Further, they are too tall to squat, they'll be limited to other leg strength exercises. They may have great physical conditioning though, you just cannot tell without seeing their 1 rep max.

I don't believe elite club level players are undertrained. However, I agree that many players in leagues such as Bulgarian are severely undertrained and what is worse - trained in the wrong way.

It helped me a lot: I broke a ligament of my right knee, when I had the therapy it was very helpful.

• This thread is amazing idea! Just read all posts, too funny from everyone :lol: :lol: :lol:

But for my opinions:

- Saori's overall play these days is lazier than Gamova on defense. Used to love her play; now think she needs to be kicked off the team.

- Thaisa at WGP2014 will have even bigger sized coconuts than now. Every year they are growing in size until who knows when they are ripened enough.

- Brazil needs ASAP to find a suitable replacement for Sheila in the near future. ATM they have no one truly suitable for OPP position that Sheila has taken care of for so many years, so maybe development for Natália or Tandara at OPP is needed

- Japan's lack of height in youth/new players due to Chinese youth stealing all for themselves :box: . Zhu Ting and Yuan Xinyue, Chinese team has surpassed even Russian team in average height :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Robertlandy Simon is overrated. Yes he is one of the best offensive MBs in the world , if not the best but there are many better blockers than him. In the series against Kazan, he couldn't read Grbic's play. He can't create the same impact as Muserskiy .

• I love when players have long hair.. Like Bahar had in 2011-2012.. Kristin also has some months ago.. Now Del Core has

Maybe it burdens a bit some players, most players wear buns ^^

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• How do you know they don't deadlift 2.5 and squat 2.2? You cannot judge solely on their phisique. I deadlift 2.6 and squat 2.0, I am only 78kg and don't have any excess muscle mass. Further, they are too tall to squat, they'll be limited to other leg strength exercises. They may have great physical conditioning though, you just cannot tell without seeing their 1 rep max.

I don't believe elite club level players are undertrained. However, I agree that many players in leagues such as Bulgarian are severely undertrained and what is worse - trained in the wrong way.

I was not linking muscle mass with strengh here. That was my impression from watching some training, for example the Nova TV training of Bulgarian NT with Radostin Stoychev and some other examples. I just don't think half-squats in smith machine are a good practice for anybody /like I saw for our NT/. You are in good shape, muscle mass is not your priority, although it could help protecting your joints, but mass is for sports like american football where it is needed. You got the strength :)

• Robertlandy Simon is overrated. Yes he is one of the best offensive MBs in the world , if not the best but there are many better blockers than him. In the series against Kazan, he couldn't read Grbic's play. He can't create the same impact as Muserskiy .

Muserskiy is also not the best blocker, his strength is again in the offensive part - top serve /top 3 on the planet/ and spiking ability, plus defense, setting skills and intelligence.

• - I think Earvin Ngapeth is overrated. I've never really seen anything so special or spectacular about his game. I believe he gets attention mainly because he is controversial, not because he is an amazing player. He is surely not bad, but so far he hasn't proved to me he is a star.
    - I think we should have more NT events with the Olympic-style formula. I know there are pros and cons, we've discussed the issue on a number of occasions. But the complicated multiple-group schedules (WCHs and especially this year's WL, even if I didn't mean the WL because it is of less value) confuse many neutral supporters, a modified Olympic formula should suffice. Can be extended a bit to fit the length of a World Championship as well.
    - I don't quite like female volleyball (waves of criticism to follow :D ). I only watch finals of their events if I have time. I find the female game predictable and slower. Just my opinion.
    - I respect jump servers more. Serve is an important aspect of modern volleyball and of each player's arsenal, recent times have made it all more physical, athletes need to adapt. Floats and not taking risks at times are totally fine, part of the game, but a player should be able to jump serve and show it occasionally.

• I'm not sure if this is an "unpopular" opinion, but it has come across my mind while watching some matches from 1988-1996 period:

Today's best players are technically far less skilled than the best players of 20 years ago! There are no more setters around today like Venturini, Fofao, Kirillova etc., only some Asian setters come close. Back in the 90s, teams played with much more variations, there were combination plays in every sideout attack, attackers were much more universal and could attack various speeds and from all positions, for example in some matches of Cuba from around 1990 you can see Mireya hitting middle attacks and Carvajal from position 4 in one rotation, nowadays this is unthinkable because 95% of all teams play the same system and always the same patterns in attack.

• I'm not sure if this is an "unpopular" opinion, but it has come across my mind while watching some matches from 1988-1996 period:

Today's best players are technically far less skilled than the best players of 20 years ago! There are no more setters around today like Venturini, Fofao, Kirillova etc., only some Asian setters come close. Back in the 90s, teams played with much more variations, there were combination plays in every sideout attack, attackers were much more universal and could attack various speeds and from all positions, for example in some matches of Cuba from around 1990 you can see Mireya hitting middle attacks and Carvajal from position 4 in one rotation, nowadays this is unthinkable because 95% of all teams play the same system and always the same patterns in attack.

I just love this post of yours Matthias, and how TRUE.

I know that many on this forum are fans of Eleonora Lo Bianco and many see her as one of the best setters in the world. But she pales MIGHTILY in comparison to setters from old generation - Fofao, Kun Feng, Venturini, Kirillova, and some of the old Korean setters. The last great setter i can think of is Takeshita and even she has retired. :( Lo Bianco's sets, while precise, are by no means special and far from being creative. her high sets even with perfect passes just don't cut it.

With regards to technical skills, I just want to add other players on the list.

Aguero - need say more? best jump server on women's volleyball, she spikes (front and back), she sets, she receives... hell, she can even set while lying down the floor!
    Leila Barros - an Opposite who has great floor defense and who can actually switch easily to OH because of her passing skills (credit Bernardo Rezende for this)
    Regla Torres - great receiver, great float serve, a middle blocker who can attack from the back row as well
    Danielle Scott Arruda - one of the few non-cuban MB players who used to attack from the back-row
    sokolova, zhou suhong - can attack anywhere from court, sets, jump serve, receive...
    ? - there's this one lefty from the early 90's from the Japanese squad. she's a lefty and quite tall and she can match the cubans in terms of attack. i can't remember her name though. :wall:

the only other player in this generation that come close when it comes to skills is Logan Tom. and we're all very amazed with her when there were many tom-like players back then. :(

Mari and Sheilla used to attack all over the court from different positions. But Mari deteriorated a LOT and with no creative creative setter from the Brazilian squad, even Sheilla wasn't close to the Sheilla we saw when Fofao was the setter.

• ? - there's this one lefty from the early 90's from the Japanese squad. she's a lefty and quite tall and she can match the cubans in terms of attack. i can't remember her name though. :wall:

Motoko Obayashi. I've watched some matches of her with Japan NT in the 90s on Youtube and she is so much fun to watch :super: She's the only left handed player I know that ran slide attacks, of course the other way round than right handed players (2nd half of the clip):

• Obayashi!!!! she's the one i'm talking about. leila barros can also do the slide as a left handed player. her and obayashi.

-> watch @ 7:00

the 90's to 2004 are just some of the best matches i've watched in volleyball. so fun to watch. :D