Russian NT 2014

• After Montreux Volley Masters, my Russian team for Yeltsin Cup, World Grand Prix and World Championship 2014 is:

Setters: Startseva - Pankova

Outside Hitters: Sokolova - Kosheleva - Pasynkova - Shcherban (Best russian OH attaker and reception after Sokolova)

Middle Blockers: Morozova - Shlyakhovaya - Zaryazhko

Opposittes: Obmochaeva - Malykh

Líberos: Malova - Kryuchkova

• where's the Chaplina ?

It's just his choice, not official line-up ^^

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• where's the Chaplina ?

She just had a surgery and no one knows whether she will recover quickly enough to play at the World Champs.

• After having watched videos of the Russian NT in the recently concluded Montreux Volley Masters, here are my observations:

1. Malykh is shaping up to be a really good OPP - though she is considerably less tall than Obmochaeva (187 vs 194 cm) - she has a certain fluidity in her spikes that the latter lacks but I admit like Goncha's fierceness :lol: On another note, I always thought Goncha is better suited in the OH position (remember OG 2012 where she was very prolific as OH). What do you think guys?
    2. Russia has yet to find their second starring OH (assuming 1st OH will be Koshe and Sokolova does not play). Chaplina can be very erratic and last time I checked she is injured, Pasynkova really reminds me a lot to Sokolova on how she spikes but I don't think she is that consistent (a plus for me is that she is 190cm, I like my Russian girls tall :lol: ), the biggest surprise to me was Kutyukova as she really played well albeit only 184cm if I'm not mistaken? Russia being Russia I think should capitalise on their height, and I think with Marichev's reintroduction of the triple block it makes sense to get at least 187cm player and above.
    3. Russian MBs have been the best since the Tishchenko era and I think the most obvious 1st choice would be Morozova. I watched replays of the EC 2013 and WGP and I must admit this girl is a really fantastic blocker :obey: Add to that, she has a mean slide attack that reminds me a lot of another Russian player, Tishchenko. I really think she is a potent arsenal for this young Russian team (Best Blocker in WGP 2011 & WGCC). For the other MB starter, I have a preference to Natya S. (I always couldnt spell the girl's last name haha) over Zaryazkho (192 vs 196 cm).
    4. I'm just curious is Matienko no longer a starter? Has has she recovered from her injury? Both her and Pankova I think are really creative, and they use their MBs a lot. Startseva only good in my book because of her classic brooding, pale Russian girl look :lol:
    5. Lastly, I think Malova is an amzing defender and should be starting libero.

• Anna Matienko is not even on the wild roster. Kosianenko-Pankova, Vetorva-Ulyakina, Startseva, Uraleva and Novik are.

I agree about Malykh, Shlyakhovaya, Malova and Zaryazhko. Russia have a ton of great players, Marichev will have a hard time to think who he would take to Italy...

S : Kosianenko, Startseva
    OPPs : Obmochaeva, Malykh
    MBs : Morozova, Shlyakhovaya, Zaryazhko
    OHs : Pasynkova, Kosheleva, Chaplina (If she fully recovers), Kutyukova, Scherban
    L : Kryuchkova, Malova

This roster looks very strong IMO, not sure about Gamova and Sokolova.

• Answering for questions/statements above:
    1) I agree about opinion about Malykh, but because of Obmochaeva she'll be only backup. If Gamova comes back, then there will be no space for Malykh as OP :whistle: the chances for Malykh could be playing as OH w/o reception (then only OH and Libero would receive) or backup OP, if Gamova with Obmochaeva could be both on court (again only OH and L have to receive) - I think that they don't want to have 2 OPs together on court anyway :whistle:
    2) Kosheleva in good shape is without doubts a starting OH, IMHO this solution eliminates line-up with two OPs on court. We can find candidates for being 2nd OH among: Chaplina, Pasynkova, Kutyukova, Shcherban. I don't see Sokolova, she can be backup but definitely not a starter. If we want to secure passing, then the best option is Kutyukova, if we want to hae more offensive power we should choose Pasynkova, solutions between solid passing and strong spiking seem to be both Chaplina and Shcherban.
    3) Morozova, Shlyakhovaya and Zaryazhko are the best MBs right now, pair Morozova - Shlyakhovaya is also for me an optimum, while Zaryazhko can be their backup ^^
    4) I don't like Matienko at all, so maybe because of it I'm happy not to see her in roster :lol: Ekaterina Kosianenko (Pankova) proved in last season that she can be a starter, she's different that many ordinary setters such as Akulova or Babeshina :D Startseva is ok setter, so she can be backup. I don't think that Uraleva, Vetrova (Ulyakina) or Novik will be chosen instead of one from Kosianenko/Startseva, only because of injury.
    5) System with Kryuchkova as receiver and Malova as defender worked properly so they can keep it that way ^^

S: Kosianenko (Pankova), Startseva
    OP: Gamova* (if she wants to be back), Obmochaeva, Malykh** (if Gmova doesn't play)
    OH: Kosheleva, Pasynkova, Chaplina, Kutyukova, Shcherban
    MB: Morozova, Shlyakhovaya, Zaryazhko
    L: Kryuchkova, Malova

Emil, your roster is the same :D

• Russian NT for FIVB WGP.

Setters : Kosianenko(10) Matienko(2) Startseva(13)
    OPPs : Obmocheva( 8 ) Malykh(17) Alisheva(12)
    MBs : Morozova(11) Shlyakhovaya(20) Zaryazhko(4) Podskalnaya(16) Fetisova(14)
    OHs : Pasynkova(5) Bavykina(3) Shcherban(1) Kutiukova(6) Markova(9) Kosheleva(15)
    Liberos : Kruychkova(7) Malova(19) Chernova(18) Guskova(21)

Apparently Chaplina is definitely out of WGP due to her recovery. Great to see Podskalnaya here on the roster :roll: She's a good player who deserves a chance.
    The oldest player on the roster is Anna Matienko(born in 1981) and the youngest one is new libero Natasha Guskova(born in 1996).

• I like this roster, though I prefer other Setters than Matienko ^^ and finally we have Podskalnaya instead of Orlova :thumbup:

• Yeah, I don't know why she's there on the roster. But I think Marichev will choose Startseva as 2nd setter.

It's funny that they have 3 Natasha (Obmocheva, Malykh and Guskova) 3 Anastasias (Markova, Bavykina and Shlyakhovaya) and 3 Yulias (Morozova, Podskalnaya and Kutiukova) :thumbsup:

• Based on Marichev's interview in russianvolley, we might have Scherban as the second starring OH as he was impressed by the latter's performance after Montreux.. And I'm not so sure if Morozova will play in the WGP.. Is that an official roster Emil? I hope she plays tho :super:

• Based on Marichev's interview in russianvolley, we might have Scherban as the second starring OH as he was impressed by the latter's performance after Montreux.. And I'm not so sure if Morozova will play in the WGP.. Is that an official roster Emil? I hope she plays tho :super:

This roster is definitely official, because it has appeared on FIVB ^^

• It is the 1st time seeing a Russian player speaking english. Probably Malykh is the only russian who could speak english :white: Not very good, but she anyway can communicate!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLKiHSnI8pw

Doesn't Sokolova speak English too? She has played in many foreign countries she must know English. I am surprised because these girls are young and in many countries English is one of the foreign languages that are learned at school.. also lack of will to learn a foreign language.. It may be due to their strong league and not many Russians playing abroad but look at Americans they play in many different countries and almost every coach and other players know English but they still learn the language.. Kristin knows very different languages, she even learned Portuguese for a few months that she stayed in Brazil... Logan also speaks many languages, Sykora did too.. Destinee was learning Portuguese in Brazil too..

• Sokolova also could speak it, but not really good english.

Malykh is young and she might have learned english at school and she seems to have many friends from overseas, u know russian girls from young generation are very different just like you saw last european championship.

I agree about the amercians, but I think Lloyd is an exception. Carli has played in Italy for many years and she even has an italian girl friend but her italian is very poor...I was very surprised when she spoke english during her interview with Imoco's volleyball manager. Her foreign mates Nikolova and Kauffbelt gave an interview in italian...

• Sokolova also could speak it, but not really good english.

Malykh is young and she might have learned english at school and she seems to have many friends from overseas, u know russian girls from young generation are very different just like you saw last european championship.

I agree about the amercians but not Lloyd. Carli has played in Italy many years but her italian is very poor...despite having an italian girl friend and so on.

Well yeah.. but she might not be a 'language type' of person.. Larson has been playing in Russia for how long now? 5 years right? And she still says she has problems with the language, on the other hand I watched an interview with Del Core and she spoke Russian pretty good..