2015 CEV DenizBank Champions League

• don't hate me...but can some one give me a link also for today's final?? I can't find anyone working!

You could try these ones:

https://www.1xbet.com/en/live/…an-Asseco-Resovia-Rzeszw/

http://www.stopstream.me/a-2/4/80/a-248138.html

It is strange. I am not in Germany nor Austria, but I can watch Laola1.

• I don't know but both yesterday and today my laola said that due to existing rights in my country I can't watch the matches...it sounded strange also to me! anyway, thanks for the links!

• Apalikov remember Adenizia from Osasco and BRA NT
    never does nothing but is always shouting at the net :whistle: :whistle:

• I think there are two different Laola streams, one with German comment that is available only in Germany and Austria and one with English comment for the rest of the world.

Thanks Matthias! It looks like I managed to find the one for the rest of the world... sorry but I'm a bit a disaster with technology :gone:

• Most boring final of the CL in years.

Berlin belonged to the final much more than the stripy squad of A. Kowal, not saying about Halkbank...
    The final of Russian Superleague should be good now. Belgorod needs to win but Zenit is not getting less confident at all. And I guess the Skra fans are feeling better now.

Now, did Berlin manage to recycle Freddie Mercury? Looks weird but... not wrong.

• Because of CEV's draw best three teams were on the same side of the draw:(
    This year only Belgorod and Halkbank could have stopped Zenit and Zenit was very lucky in this matchups.
    Belgorod got eliminated and Halkbank was without Juantorena . :down:
    By the way ,Leon only needs to play in national competitions to become the greatest player of all time.

• Penchev really disappointed today. I am unimpressed by his lack of heart.

• Because of CEV's draw best three teams were on the same side of the draw:(
    This year only Belgorod and Halkbank could have stopped Zenit and Zenit was very lucky in this matchups.
    Belgorod got eliminated and Halkbank was without Juantorena . :down:
    By the way ,Leon only needs to play in national competitions to become the greatest player of all time.

The draw was made to avoid the situation whereby three teams from the same country could qualify for F4. Whilst everybody knows that Belgorod is much stronger than Loko Novosibirsk, the stats are not that good for Belgorod. They won the bronze of the national championship last year, Novosibirsk won the silver - yes, largely by virtue of chance. Now believe it or not, Belgorod had to beg for a wild-card to play this CL - this is the typical Europe for you.

There can be lots of "what-if" ideas now, regarding as to who could have stopped Zenit. There is no doubt that Berlin gave them much more trouble than Rzeszow today, the tie-break being fairly realistic. Somehow yesterday Zenit looked shaky and less confident than today serving only 10 aces in four sets - that's nothing, eh? Now, Halkbank at home indeed was close and Juantorena might have added some decisive points but sometimes it works the other way round - the leader comes but the points go. Plus, let us not forget that very unfortunately for all games in Turkey the key "player" is a ref. If you have doubts about this, please just re-watch the tie-break between Halkbank and Zenit and think which team would have won it had that been played say in Berlin. No offense to Halkbank: excellent players and smart coaching but the real strength of this club is unclear to me as yet. Yes, it is the game in Kazan and several sets in Belgorod that make me slightly doubtful here.

In my view, the decisive factors were: (i) poor concentration of Belgorod in the game they played in Turkey - had they grabbed another set, Zenit may have not been able to come to Berlin at all and (ii) weird condition of Skra and Lokomotiv Novosibirsk - Kazan is stronger than any of these outfits but on a one-off occasion can be beaten. Rzeszow was simply destroyed physically today, mainly from the service line (25% of positive reception, 12 faults in three sets) but from the other two lines two.

• Penchev really disappointed today. I am unimpressed by his lack of heart.

Do not forget he twisted his ankle in a very bad way yesterday. So he wasn't in his top shape.

On the other side Kazan had a good day on service and that made the difference. Talking about volleyball played by a whole team, Sovia was better.

When you have Leon, Anderson and Mikhailov all together and they can pass decently, you are going to win always and forever.

Sovia was better on the middles. Zenit was stronger on the sides. And I liked Igla more than Salparov. Keeping their young players (Penchev, Ivovic...) Sovia will stay at this level for a long while. Kazan is already losing Anderson.

• Sovia was better on the middles. Zenit was stronger on the sides. And I liked Igla more than Salparov. Keeping their young players (Penchev, Ivovic...) Sovia will stay at this level for a long while. Kazan is already losing Anderson.

Actually, no - same seven points scored by the middles of both teams from ten (Zenit) and eleven (Rzeszow) attempts in attack. Zenit has narrowly outblocked Rzeszow, with the credit going mainly to Mikhailov but you know how it is with two-blocks.

• Zenit were very close to lose the elimination vs Halkbank even without Juantorena, so I wouldn't call them invincible.

• Yavor is there, curious in which form is His heart right now.

How looks points from 21-21?

8) My heart was OK, after all I was just a neutral spectator, I didn't have a favourite team there. And from a neutral point of view the game was very entertaining and dramatic. Good that Berlin won to hear their fans scream in the end, they weren't as noisy as I had thought.

I am a bit surprised that only raylight and I correctly guessed who will reach the final. I guess you guys expected more from Skra, but it was well-known that their form isn't impressive these days. Also, usually around this time of the year and with the F4 approaching there are some trolls who appear here, no exception this time either, spreading their "wisdom", "knowledge" and qualifications. At least you guys have had a nice conversation about the tournament :thumbup:

The organization was top-notch, they had done an incredible job. Most of the games and both ceremonies (opening and closing ones) were spectacular. Of course, they didn't miss the chance to "germanize" the whole thing by speaking only German most of the time. I think it is acceptable to use English as well for the opening ceremony or at least when two Polish teams are on the field and 1/3 of the German audience is gone. I guess this is just Ze German way :D Jokes aside, it was impressive overall.

Kudos to Berlin Recycling Volleys. I wouldn't go as far as Kaziyski to praise Mark Lebedew that much. He is a great personality and a smart coach indeed who can read the game, but he should've definitely gathered a more complete roster this season. It seems illogical to me to have 3 opposites and 3 OHs in your squad. And they have inscribed Aleksandar Spirovski as a libero for the weekend, so that he can get his medal if they ever get there, which they eventually did. I had my doubts if Berlin could drastically change their performance for a month as they started the campaign rather slow and not without problems. But they had done a great preparation and felt very confident in their home event even if they would have not reached it, had they not been selected as hosts.

To be honest, I was rooting for Resovia in the final. Wilfredo Leon is a monster athlete, it was a pleasure to watch him live, he won the trophy almost alone for Zenit, but I think he makes them less of a team. It doesn't take a world-class coach like Alekno to get you the title when pretty much the only purpose of the team is to get the ball to Leon. Unlike the case in 2012 when Alekno was one of the reasons why Zenit won their second title. I got really frustrated in the semifinal when Leon was set 4 or 5 times consecutively, like Zenit don't have other star or reliable players, or like they didn't have the best squad in Berlin. No matter how good Leon is, to me this is school volleyball. Wins matter in the end and it is true, but I just wanted to see Belogorie or Halkbank in the last stage compete with Zenit, so that they didn't have to rely on Leon only. Marouf disappointed, totally forgot his middles, used them only twice maybe for his entire court time in both days. His fast ball to Mikhaylov is great to watch live, but he didn't show anything else.

The only thing Resovia did that I hadn't expected was beat Skra in straight sets in the semi. Just to rekindle briefly the discussion about a setter's choice for a set/match point, I don't think Drzyzga made a mistake, took some huge risks or that he was irrational. As a matter of fact, I find his game quite reasonable. He grabbed the Best Setter award quite deservedly, he performed better than all other setters in Berlin, his sets are equally good regardless of his body position's relativity to the net. He can play all combinations with an ease and in such case a fast ball could be equally lethal. Also, since Grozer's departure, Resovia no longer have a killer scorer, they are a very technical team with a relatively balanced ball distribution between attackers, so I find it quite normal to use even a primo tempo to close a set. As for the final, Resovia couldn't put up a decent fight against the Russians. Neither could they withhold when they were 4-0 ahead in the third set, nor when Ivovic's serve run neutralized Zenit's 4-point advantage in the opener. Reception, one of their key elements, was torn into pieces and they just don't have the attackers to compensate for such inconsistencies. On a side not, it seems I have forgotten how interesting Jochen Schops' attack technique is. But the only other time when I have watched him live he was a sub for Grozer, so perhaps I didn't have much chance to see it back then. He doesn't expect a long ball near the antenna from the setter, where a powerful opposite like Mikhaylov or Wlazly can play the line, for example. He rather takes it somewhere around the blockers and has an interesting technique of playing with their hands.

Skra were definitely the disappointment of the Final Four. As much as you praised Facundo Conte, I don't think he enjoyed such a splendid weekend and I am sure he himself expected more, both from himself and from his teammates. His father Hugo, sitting in the sector next to mine, surely agrees with me, based on his reactions in the bronze medal game. Conte might've had a good attack percentage versus Resovia (probably the reason he was given the Second Best OH in the weekend's Dream Team, although to me it was just a consolation award for Skra), but couldn't help Belchatow win at least a set and made way too many mistakes against Berlin. Too many serve errors in that game indeed. Too many by Uriarte, in my opinion, in crucial moments, too. I can criticize the setter a bit for the unnecessarily many attempts to play with Conte even if he was visibly struggling and well read by Berlin, but in Uriarte's defense I should say that he had almost no reliable options. Klos was especially disappointing at this Final Four. You can bring in all the excuses in the world here, but Skra should've been in a better shape at this stage of the season. Unfortunately, it can get even worse should they fail to beat Trefl Gdansk twice now. But who knows, maybe they can still finish the PlusLiga playoffs in style.

• Of course, they didn't miss the chance to "germanize" the whole thing by speaking only German most of the time. I think it is acceptable to use English as well for the opening ceremony or at least when two Polish teams are on the field and 1/3 of the German audience is gone. I guess this is just Ze German way :D Jokes aside, it was impressive overall.

From my experience, "normal" Germans would always prefer to communicate in Deutsch and the organisers always cater to that normal category. You may change your views of the use of English after the UK elections in May :). As for the case of two Polish teams playing... well, to put it diplomatically, I bet Robert Kromm and Felix Fischer are the only German employees of Berlin Recycling - and still it is "Gebt Alles".

To be honest, I was rooting for Resovia in the final. Wilfredo Leon is a monster athlete, it was a pleasure to watch him live, he won the trophy almost alone for Zenit, but I think he makes them less of a team. It doesn't take a world-class coach like Alekno to get you the title when pretty much the only purpose of the team is to get the ball to Leon. Unlike the case in 2012 when Alekno was one of the reasons why Zenit won their second title. I got really frustrated in the semifinal when Leon was set 4 or 5 times consecutively, like Zenit don't have other star or reliable players, or like they didn't have the best squad in Berlin. No matter how good Leon is, to me this is school volleyball. Wins matter in the end and it is true, but I just wanted to see Belogorie or Halkbank in the last stage compete with Zenit, so that they didn't have to rely on Leon only. Marouf disappointed, totally forgot his middles, used them only twice maybe for his entire court time in both days. His fast ball to Mikhaylov is great to watch live, but he didn't show anything else.

I told you that that Leon business is somewhat like Dutch disease Gamova disease! Well, there are two interesting excuses here.

Firstly, Zenit had a very unusual pre-season and hence a shaky season. They had three people from the starting line-up having fairly serious surgery over the summer, issues with OHs (when Leon and Spir got injured in autumn), then there was the setter's saga and that of Anderson's. Five people from their starting line-up captained national teams at major events, so no question about the quality here. But it's more like an all-star game really as they didn't have much time to play together. The big risk was that the whole super-team just falls into pieces like a luxury car that hit the lamp post. And this didn't look very unrealistic given their performance vs Berlin and Halkbank. As you said, wins matter. The cash for Zenit comes from the people who think they're supporting a basketball(!) team but at the same time know well the difference between gold and silver so the options are indeed very limited: just play it simple and make sure the job is done otherwise.... In a way, it is just like Russian NT played the last three sets at London Olympics.

Secondly, having Leon on your roster guarantees the indisputable benefit of not having him on the other side of the net. Had Zenit failed their mega-transfer, Rzeszow or Lokomotiv Novosibirsk could have made some better progress in the CL this year :).

• Juantorena, Leon or Kaziyski, that is the question, and the answer is: both :D