Russia - Суперлига 2014/15

• Interesting that Todorov usually plays his best matches against Belgorod. Obviously Muserskiy is quite the challenge.

• Belgorie has slowed down in recent weeks. Not as dominating as before. However, I am sure with rest, they will get back to form. Same with some of the others who are juggling European matches with their league play and the constant traveling. Zenit is the only one I see coping so far, and I think because it has such a deep bench it helps.

• Belgorie has slowed down in recent weeks. Not as dominating as before. However, I am sure with rest, they will get back to form. Same with some of the others who are juggling European matches with their league play and the constant traveling. Zenit is the only one I see coping so far, and I think because it has such a deep bench it helps.

Belgorod managed to rest some key players over the summer NT season, (e.g.Tetyukhin, Khtey etc) so no wonder they looked fresher from the start. Plus, secondly, don't forget that they were the only team that kept the same squad as in 13/14. (Apart from Panteleymonenko, which is a loss but not a disaster.) Their competitors in the Superleague have done quite a bit of reshuffling, Zenit being, perhaps, the best example. Even the "conservative" outfits like Ugra or Novosibirsk have changed the opposites. Thus, Belogorie was much better prepared for team volleyball at the start of the season.

Belgorod has the longest/strongest bench in the Superleague: Kosarev, Zhigalov, Ilinykh would have made good starters, even the 3rd opp Kalandadze is jolly good. At the same time, they have no back-up setter and there is no replacement for Muserskiy. Zenit has simply resolved their issues as half of the squad (Mikhaylov, Verbov, Sivozhelez) was recovering from surgeries, Leon was outside of competitive volleyball for two years and injured his ankle etc.

By the way, Kazan may get seriously stronger with the arrival of Marouf who looks very much OK judging by his first game. If things go the "right way" for the Iranian in Tatarstan, Zenit may win a trophy or two in 2015... and Igor Kobzar may have to spend the rest of the season with his trousers on :). Well, everything can happen but as it is Marouf is definitely a more gifted setter.

• Belgorod managed to rest some key players over the summer NT season, (e.g.Tetyukhin, Khtey etc) so no wonder they looked fresher from the start. Plus, secondly, don't forget that they were the only team that kept the same squad as in 13/14. (Apart from Panteleymonenko, which is a loss but not a disaster.) Their competitors in the Superleague have done quite a bit of reshuffling, Zenit being, perhaps, the best example. Even the "conservative" outfits like Ugra or Novosibirsk have changed the opposites. Thus, Belogorie was much better prepared for team volleyball at the start of the season.

Belgorod has the longest/strongest bench in the Superleague: Kosarev, Zhigalov, Ilinykh would have made good starters, even the 3rd opp Kalandadze is jolly good. At the same time, they have no back-up setter and there is no replacement for Muserskiy. Zenit has simply resolved their issues as half of the squad (Mikhaylov, Verbov, Sivozhelez) was recovering from surgeries, Leon was outside of competitive volleyball for two years and injured his ankle etc.

By the way, Kazan may get seriously stronger with the arrival of Marouf who looks very much OK judging by his first game. If things go the "right way" for the Iranian in Tatarstan, Zenit may win a trophy or two in 2015... and Igor Kobzar may have to spend the rest of the season with his trousers on :). Well, everything can happen but as it is Marouf is definitely a more gifted setter.

Didn't Panteleymonenko return? someone just returned to Belgorie recently. Tetyukhin has retired from RNT. Khtey was injured for a good part of the last 2 years, hence why he was only called once for the national team. It's nice to see him getting back his form now. I understand what you are saying though. I like when teams are aable to have their consitent rosters than changing so many players each season. Dinamo Moscow changed a few of their team for this year as well. No doubt Marouf is the better setter, maybe Kobzar can go on loan to some other team, Russia needs up and coming setters to play because they can't just rely on Grankin and Butko who both at times can be inconsistent. However, I doubt he will go on loan since Zenit got rid of their other setter.

• Didn't Panteleymonenko return? someone just returned to Belgorie recently. Tetyukhin has retired from RNT. Khtey was injured for a good part of the last 2 years, hence why he was only called once for the national team. It's nice to see him getting back his form now. I understand what you are saying though. I like when teams are aable to have their consitent rosters than changing so many players each season. Dinamo Moscow changed a few of their team for this year as well. No doubt Marouf is the better setter, maybe Kobzar can go on loan to some other team, Russia needs up and coming setters to play because they can't just rely on Grankin and Butko who both at times can be inconsistent. However, I doubt he will go on loan since Zenit got rid of their other setter.

Alexander Bogomolov returned to Belogorie due to the financial situation in Orenburg.

• In the match Belgorod - Gubernia the guests scored more points, but made 20:10 errors in serve and 13:2 in attack and gave the victory to the hosts. Muserskiy served 1/3 of all serves for his team.

• Almost at the end of regular season. Some big games coming up this week. Belgorie vs Novosibirsk and Zenit vs Dynamo Moscow. If Moscow can win 3-0 or 3-1 they will move back into 2nd place. Zenit is on fire right now though but we will see how it goes.

BTW - Anyone can tell me where Gennady Shipilin is? I haven't seen him on the bench for Belgorie the last few games

• As it turned out, Belogorie's key players had been released from the duty to travel the long distance to Novosibirsk. The second squad with a devastatingly poor performance, no player with at least decent numbers. Even Ilynikh, whom I like very much, couldn't stand out. In Moscow, Zenit with no mistakes, making the regular season's first place race more interesting in the last two rounds. There is still no stats sheet available for the game in Moscow, so I don't know if Alekno used all the starters who played in Piacenza. Bearing in mind the first leg's result, he shouldn't have worried that much, unlike Kolchin/Shipulin.

This decision by Belogorie makes it clear to me that a Golden Set is to be expected in Belgorod. I hope they don't end up empty-handed as they now only have a single-point advantage to Zenit in the standings. And while Zenit's last two games seem easier (away at Orenburg and at home versus Prikamie), Belogorie will have to work harder to keep that position (away at Kemerovo and Nizhnevartovsk).

• As it turned out, Belogorie's key players had been released from the duty to travel the long distance to Novosibirsk. The second squad with a devastatingly poor performance, no player with at least decent numbers. Even Ilynikh, whom I like very much, couldn't stand out. In Moscow, Zenit with no mistakes, making the regular season's first place race more interesting in the last two rounds. There is still no stats sheet available for the game in Moscow, so I don't know if Alekno used all the starters who played in Piacenza. Bearing in mind the first leg's result, he shouldn't have worried that much, unlike Kolchin/Shipulin.

This decision by Belogorie makes it clear to me that a Golden Set is to be expected in Belgorod. I hope they don't end up empty-handed as they now only have a single-point advantage to Zenit in the standings. And while Zenit's last two games seem easier (away at Orenburg and at home versus Prikamie), Belogorie will have to work harder to keep that position (away at Kemerovo and Nizhnevartovsk).

Yeah from the Loko-Belgorie score I realized it must have been the second team. I expected that team to at least do better esp since Loko has struggled against the top 3 teams.

Moscow-Zenit match, it was a good game and good defense. Moscow's hitters just need to not make mistakes at crucial times, but Zenit is still stronger at the moment. Yes Zenit used their starters, the only one who played that didn't play in the Champions League was Spiridonov, so everyone else played (Mikhalov, Leon, Verbov, Marouf etc)

• Expected and wise decision by Shipulin to save up the first line, considering they are on first position and topping regular season means nothing ( look last year.... ), but i don't think they expected such a terrible performance by reserves, especially Ilynikh, actually i really question his position on NT, because he can even be starter on his team, and this is not the first time, how can he bears tough moments on international level? Voronkov will have tough time choosing OHs, lots of good players but no one stands out...

Kazan is just unstoppable in the moment, they are prolly the favorites both in CL and in RS, mainly because of world class shape by Leon, and the amazing bench, the inclusion of Maroouf was just the icing on the cake, but Moscow can do better, especially Biryukov and Zayttsev

Gazpron and Fakel just lost the rithym, and now it is all about the last spot on playoff that is likely going to Gubernya over Krasnodar

PS: Do somebody know about Kiril Makeshin of Belgorod ? In the beginning of the season he delivered good perfomances but then disappeared and has not been listed even as bench player ...

• I think that the world class shape of Maksim Mikhaylov right now is as important as Leon's. I really want to watch them clash with Sokolov and Juantorena :)

• Yeah I do question Ilynikh's ability to fight. I know he was injured before season and wen he came back he played on the bench but he should be fighting harder.

Zenit is unstoppable right now, but if Leon didn't get that ace in the 3rd set and Moscow won it, it would have been interesting to see what would have happened. Moscow's serve let them down as well. Leon isn't the only one playing well, Mikahlov has really upped his game the last month or so. I am happy to see him back on form. Zenit does have the deepest bench as well. Yeah Biryukov does need to be more consistent, and Moscow needs another OH, or play Berezhko more because Markin plays badly at times against top teams. Zyatsev can definitely improve, but his injuries has made this a stop/go season so he can't find rhythm (he didn't play for the last 3 games)

Kiril Makeshin - I think he haas been sent to the B teaam, possibly to get some more expereince/playing time, because they play Musersky so often.