2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• Its a must watch one, can't miss it! :D

True, this is the first time that I'll get up for the early match in this competition because it's such a big one. Whoever loses will have a hard time getting to the F6. I hope it's a good game, to me this looks like a 50/50.

• True, this is the first time that I'll get up for the early match in this competition because it's such a big one. Whoever loses will have a hard time getting to the F6. I hope it's a good game, to me this looks like a 50/50.

To keep the chances alive for both they need a 5 set match :lol:

3 of CHN, TUR, ITA, USA, RUS will go to the finals and I see RUS as the weakest link.

I see the teams (top 3) from Pool B in the advantage they could beat all 4 teams from Pool C, whereas the teams from Pool C will have tough opponents.

• Can someone post stream of Italy-Turkey so I don't wake up in 6am for nothing lmao haha

• It's my very first time to watch the Canadian women's volleyball team playing. The team was surprisingly playing good, interesting volleyball, an improved performance over its two earlier matches (which I have not yet watched), judging from both the scorelines and the match performance itself against CHN team (esp. the first two sets), as well as per the comment by the FIVB match commentator, the soft-spoken nice guy, Louis / Lewis (!?) whom? Lennox !? :roll: The team has a depressing schedule that its first three matches were all against the big teams, thus lost in 0-9 sets. Yet it may likely register the better outcome as of its 4th match, at least to earn some set.

Here's the full match replay (720P) of CHN v CAN with the Chinese commentary, and the female commentator is Wei Qiu-ye, the former famous NT setter.

I was expecting a little bit more from Canada but it's not fair to judge them based on the first three games. This team got a bad draw and the worst schedule in this pool facing the stongest three teams in row.

Canada's passing suffered a lot against Turkey and Italy, the two teams were great from the service line and targeted Alexa Gray.

Against China, Abbondanza made the decision to sacrifice his best attacker Gray for a better passer Beamish, and i can say this lineup worked well even though China is not the best team on service.

I still see Canada beating Cuba to fight for a 2nd round ticket against Bulgaria.

• Too many injuries, too early in the tournament. A lot of teams are also missing key players from previous injuries. I feel like WCH this year could've been a lot more competitive sans these injuries :( Top teams like Serbia, China and Italy are playing so well, I just hope they don't join the injury list.

• Idk actually personally I think I'd rather stay up late until 2,3 even 4 etc then wake up that early... I don't like watching matches 06-12 morning times, for me that's the worst possible time. Ofc I'm not blaming Asia for that lol, it's logical for them to do it at these times but still, just saying...

PS: guys I set my alarm an hour early lol feeling dead

• I was expecting a little bit more from Canada but it's not fair to judge them based on the first three games. This team got a bad draw and the worst schedule in this pool facing the stongest three teams in row.

Canada's passing suffered a lot against Turkey and Italy, the two teams were great from the service line and targeted Alexa Gray.

Against China, Abbondanza made the decision to sacrifice his best attacker Gray for a better passer Beamish, and i can say this lineup worked well even though China is not the best team on service.

I still see Canada beating Cuba to fight for a 2nd round ticket against Bulgaria.

I see. For someone who is not familiar with the team, it looks like as if Emily Maglio (23) or Kiera van Ryk (25) was the backbone attacker. I did see Alexa Lea Gray (09) came to court at some stage and launched some good attacks but I just thought that she's a good sub :lol:

Wonder why the CAN women's team had not played in any WGP/VNL for at least four latest editions...

From the FIVB page on the Team Profile of CAN:

Canada have competed eight times at the FIVB World Championship – their best placing so far being 11th, which they have achieved twice (1974, 1982).

They have also taken part in three Olympic Games, finishing 8th at Montreal 1976 and Los Angeles 1984, and 9th at Atlanta 1996.

At regional level, Canada have won two silver and eight bronze medals at the North and Central America & Caribbean (NORCECA) Championships, but have not made the podium since 1999. In the bronze medal matches of the last two full editions of the competition, Canada lost to Puerto Rico; 3-0 in 2013 in Omaha and 3-1 in 2015 in Morelia.

Canada first appeared in the FIVB World Grand Prix in 2003 and didn’t return to the competition until eleven years later. Their best overall ranking is 11th place, achieved at their 2003 debut.

Now against Cuba, the team from the same confederation, the CAN team may have some good chance. And against BUL as well. Let's see very soon the testimony to have the clearer picture of the current team :whistle:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• TUR v ITL is 9:40pm for me! I'll sleep after that and wake up at 3:20am for JPN v CAM ||

• Turkey - Italy tomorrow on 6:40 CET :down:gosh such an important match but how could I get up so early. Hope next tournements will be in Europe :lol:

I guess you're the kind who prefer to stay very late till the dawn instead of waking up at 6 something early morning to watch the matches like we the Asians usually do when the event is hosted in other continents... nice choice.... ha ha ha :lol:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• “There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Japan 2018

Pool C

3 October 2018

Japan Standard Time (UTC/GMT + 09:00)

13:40 Azerbaijan – Trinidad and Tobago

• These Turkish digs are a blast!