2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• This will probably be the only match we blocked less than our opponents...

May be I spoke too soon... I'll check!

Wonderful set by Italy; even if I'm still not that sure it was worthy not resting the players, it's incredibly good to win, especially against a strong team that needed to win way more than us.

On the other hand, I'm disappointed by USA for how they went down in the most important matches... 1 set won of 7...

So, now it almost appears that we became the 'team to beat': I still don't feel like we are (feet on the ground!! We learned it the hard way in 2014...), but the results seems to say so.

• If there's a positive to take out of this situation, it would be Karch giving up on this silly super fast system, and finding ways to make this team better, actual things that work for them.

Anyways I don't think that's gonna happen.. they'll be like, we've been doing this for 5 years, not the time to stop now

• Did Rachael Adams play at all this tournament, I can't remember it? I remember Dixon and Gibbemeyer switching. I wish we'd seen more of Adams either way, I think she's more world class then other two and more experienced

• May be I spoke too soon... I'll check!

[OT: why, when I quote a topic which already includes a quote, the first quote is erased? Is there a way to do so automatically?]

Anyway, I checked the block and I was absolutely wrong!

15 for italy, 7 for USA.

Curiously enough, the two MBs together did as much block as Lucia only (3: 2 Chirichella, 1 Danesi) and less than Sylla (4) and Egonu (5).

Danesi ins't the best blocker anymore (since yesterday, I guess: the first two are Russian and haven't played yet today), and also Cristina – which was the 4th before yesterday, I read – now went down a bit. Of course none of this matters, it's just mere curiosity ^^

Egonu 33 points, now is top scorer.

Ps I also read that 9 consecutive victories is a record for Italy at the WCh ^^

• Did Rachael Adams play at all this tournament, I can't remember it? I remember Dixon and Gibbemeyer switching. I wish we'd seen more of Adams either way, I think she's more world class then other two and more experienced

Yes she did.. 2 games I think.

I like her a lot too, but her game has gone down in the last few years. In 2016 she was a monster, blocking, attacking.. one of the key players for Imoco, and did a great job for the US in Rio. However she's not at the same level she once was. Also Gibby is the best blocker out of all 4 MBs, and since USA is not using them very much in attack, it's resonable to have a better blocker on court. Dixon, I don't know.. She has been really solid prior to her injury, good attacker, good blocker, good server.. she did everything pretty good.. but she's also not the same..

• Guys I have started to watch Serbian Drama. I just finished episode 2 and was disguisting. I will vote 1.0 for IMDB. Actors were terrible as well.

• Congrats Italy! What a winning mentality! After that 2 sets lead, meaning they got the 1st place in the pool no matter what, I thought Mazzanti would rest some players, but not. Players looked bit upset after losing the third one. They were also motivated to win this.

9-0 record is just above expectations for this young team, which already surprised us when they got the silver medal in the last Grand Prix. However, despite of I like this italian team, I think they havent still got anything yet. Yes, being the last remaining unbeaten team and just losing 3 sets is a good record, but now the expectations are higher (a medal of course).

Fans are comparing them with their male side, also saying (before facing China and these last two matches), that they were just unbeaten because they faced easy teams, as well as the males. Totally not fair for the ladies.

Hope pressure wont kill them like Zaytsev and Co.