2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• I feel sorry for Brazil and Russia. They were determined and fought at their best. I can’t help but think that the Japanese team was quite lucky to get a light draw in the first round. And with the tactic of Serbia that allows them to be in the third while Brazil and Russia were eliminated is kind of annoying me.

Root for China and Italy this time. 😎

It's not only luck, this is the host advantage both in setting before draw and public support by the spectators.

• FIVB is corrupted and Japan pays them money for this so they are corrupted as well. I wish they wouldn’t even made it to even second group. They are just so disgusting. I want them to be smashed!

We actually cannot blame Serbia since there is no evidence but we all know them wel and what they did was disgusting. All they do care is money and they got it.

I would have said I want to be champion but to be fair, It is so boring to watch their all balls to Boskovic and Mihaijlovic games. Disrespectful to their amazing MBs and setter Maja. After this Japan incident, I won’t be cheering up for them.

I didn’t like Russia throughout the summer and in this WCH they played really well. Would have been happier if they would made it to final 6 which they deserved. They even performed very good after Goncharova got injured which was such a pity. Most of the teams cannot recover after loosing such important player in the middle of the tournament.

I hate Karch as most people do and I wish them the worst as well. Taking Lowe just shows how he lives in his own head. You cannot take a girl who stopped volleyball and didn’t play in a pro league for the last two years. Lowe said she still practice volleyball in her school but this is WCH, you cannot take her. It is just disrespectful to other girls who worked so hard all year and then just because this precious girl decides to be back with NT, he takes her to Japan. This is just so another stupid of him. You cannot build up a team out of friendship. This is a big BS, dude. He took Cortney Thompson to OG in 2016 just because she was a good friend and everyone loved her in that team who was going to retire after OG. He should go back to his son’s high school where he started choaching and make this stupid calls.

Italy and China are playing really good games and I want either of them to be champion. I want to see them in final anyway. Italy plays really well most of the time it is like everyone is participating on the other hand China struggles a lot in receiving and setter area.

Not sure what to say about Turkey. Expected them to be the underdog and they played very poorly. Hope they will be better in the future but we all know that is not going to happen as long as they stay on bench.

• I hate Karch as most people do and I wish them the worst as well. Taking Lowe just shows how he lives in his own head. You cannot take a girl who stopped volleyball and didn’t play in a pro league for the last two years. Lowe said she still practice volleyball in her school but this is WCH, you cannot take her. It is just disrespectful to other girls who worked so hard all year and then just because this precious girl decides to be back with NT, he takes her to Japan. This is just so another stupid of him. You cannot build up a team out of friendship. This is a big BS, dude. He took Cortney Thompson to OG in 2016 just because she was a good friend and everyone loved her in that team who was going to retire after OG. He should go back to his son’s high school where he started choaching and make this stupid calls.

You talk about the same person that dismissed Logan Tom with an email. :down::down:

Btw Lowe is doing a decent job, better than Murphy, which tells averything about Kelly's current level. :whistle:

• FIVB is corrupted and Japan pays them money for this so they are corrupted as well. I wish they wouldn’t even made it to even second group. They are just so disgusting. I want them to be smashed!

Japan know that they have zero chance to get into final 4 anyway, so they put themselves in the hardest pool, simply to make themselves look more fair. What a noble robber......

Also, they created a match called 5-th place in the final round, just to have one more game to play. They probably think that they can win that last match since the other team has no fighting spirit left after the marathon. How vain......

• Can someone give me an opinion about the Ned?

I haven't watch them but I'm curious, mostly because it seems to me that - if it's true that Japan has an easy path so far - then it has to be true for Ned as well, since they played in the same pools, and with similar results: if you think about it, they won vs Japan but at the 5th so it was a close match, then they lost vs Brazil at the tie break as Japan (who was already qualified, though), then won vs an already qualified and not with all the titulars Serbia as Japan did (well, more clearly, but still with a 3 points victory)...

Of course in their case the (supposed) easier path was luck and not 'host advantages', but do they really show such more than Japan?

I haven't watch them but I'm curious, mostly because it seems to me that - if it's true that Japan has an easy path so far - then it has to be true for Ned as well, since they played in the same pools, and with similar results: if you think about it, they won vs Japan but at the 5th so it was a close match, then they lost vs Brazil at the tie break as Japan (who was already qualified, though), then won vs an already qualified and not with all the titulars Serbia as Japan did (well, more clearly, but still with a 3 points victory)...

Of course in their case the (supposed) easier path was luck and not 'host advantages', but do they really show such more than Japan?

NED had an easy path for sure. They need to proof they belong in final 6 now in the next pool stage. All the girls talk about is that they're here for a medal. I'm ready for them to show it.

This should have been the breakout tournament for Nika Daalderdop. I hope she can reach her potential the upcoming club season because Anne Buijs is not reliable or consistent throughout a match at all. The team needs an OH that can score like Sloetjes. When opponent focus block on Sloetjes the matches tend to turn really ugly now.

Thank god Morrison finally realised that Lohuis needs to be starter over Koolhaas at least.

If you need a scorer at OPP I still think Lowe is better option than Murphy or MBH in that position.

in my opinion, they haven’t shown much more than Japan. They beat Japan, but were very lucky to do so as Japan generally we’re playing better and won way more points. They were also lucky to take Brazil to 5 sets, as BRA really threw away set 3. Germany as well had a chance to take it to 5 sets.

Having said all of that, this shows that they can keep fighting and get good results even when not playing that well, which is a great ability to have. They definitely have a chance to qualify.

they are basically the same team as in Rio both in terms of personel and strength. robin is not here because of injury who could really help here. they still can't beat top teams and still take 5 sets to beat japan just as in the Rio cycle. it's gonna take a miracle for them to beat olympic champions china, just as in rio. they will have a better chance against the usa because the usa got a lot worse since rio but i still think the us would take it in 5.

• they are basically the same team as in Rio both in terms of personel and strength. robin is not here because of injury who could really help here.

That is not entirely true. In Rio they had Stam as a stable libero, Steenbergen as a good replacement in the middle and Pietersen who could play as a outside and as a opposite. In my opinion, the team lacks this experience during this tournament.

• I think the Dutch would have a better chance against Italy and Serbia....because of their terrible ball control and weak mentality they are a easy prey for China and USA...I`m pretty sure China/USA are already studying Italy/Serbia rather than wasting time studying the Dutch as they know they will win easily.

• Better chance against Italy than against CH and USA, teams that Italy crushed both USA and CHN(not so easy). Interesting.

• That is not entirely true. In Rio they had Stam as a stable libero, Steenbergen as a good replacement in the middle and Pietersen who could play as a outside and as a opposite. In my opinion, the team lacks this experience during this tournament.

Im aware of two retired vets and I forgot about pietersen but while they would certainly help this Dutch team, imo they are not difference makers for them, at this level anyway.

• I think the Dutch would have a better chance against Italy and Serbia....because of their terrible ball control and weak mentality they are a easy prey for China and USA...I`m pretty sure China/USA are already studying Italy/Serbia rather than wasting time studying the Dutch as they know they will win easily.

I'm not sure for the USA. Don't forget USA will clash with China first and then next day with the Dutch team. So regardless the outcome with the Chinese team, the USA will be mentally and physically exhausted. This can give a huge advantage to the Dutch team. Furthermore, if Morrison has little ambition to become the next US coach, he will do lot of overtimes and homeworks in order to show who's the boss between the Dutch team and the US team.

How do the Dutch have "terrible ball control and weak mentality"? :aww:

Sure, they're not Japan or Thailand in terms of ball handling, but they're not worse than most other non-Asian teams, Italy being the big exception there. Grothues and Knip have provided a fairly solid reception in the most matches, and Dijkema does not have a "beautiful" technique but that doesn't mean that her ball control is bad. I won't even go into the mentality thing because I have no idea what's supposed to be your evidence for this :gone:

I think in F6 almost all results are possible, so of course they can lose both matches, but my guess is that they'll beat USA and put China into trouble at least. Might be wrong, but I'd be very surprised if they indeed turned out to be "easy prey".

• Better chance against Italy than against CH and USA, teams that Italy crushed both USA and CHN(not so easy). Interesting.

Can you please stop.. you're acting like any spectator with zero volleyball knowledge, which at the end you might as well be. Comparing teams at this level is silly.. Italy beating CHN and USA doesn't mean they will beat theam again, that has been proven time and again in big competitions. Same goes for any team

• I think the Dutch had the easiest route to f6 for sure, they still have not beaten a top team and barely beat Japan, I think they would have more problem making it in the other group however with that said I also think they have a mental and physical advantage now. They won a lot of their matches, they don't seem tired. And in the end, the Dutch team is a very strong team that is one of the top teams at the moment with all coincidental advantages this Wch for them I see them in a good place, I also expect them to beat the USA. I'm not sure about China, maybe a set.

Also anything could happen really, it will be a very close F6 in which all teams will have some chances imo. Italy is the dark horse, which is less of a dark horse now. USA might or might not regroup, time will tell. Serbia has some trouble missing Milenkovic, and we don't know about Tijana. China is looking most likely to win to me but I hope for surprises. Japan can win game(s) too if they give their all.

• Bujis can not pass at a high level during a whole game usually, so as long as they target her from the service line they can take her out of the game... Plak comes in and it is the same thing if not worst. Maret can not score against high block. And they don't have the mentality to win a tournament ...they simply does not have what it takes to beat teams like China and USA.

• well the Dutch lost that tournament they hosted this summer for Russia as they were leading 14-12 in the tie break... This is mental weakness for me.

The same team made three remarkable comebacks in this tournament.

Winning the third set against Brazil from 2-9 and 20-23 to 27-25.

Winning the fourth set against Germany from 21-24 to 32-30.

Winning the first set against Japan from 16-21 to 27-25.

So, i don't see why would anyone call the Netherlands a mentally weak team.

• Dutch always plays China tough, I think this time won’t be different. USA probably missed their best chance to win Olympic gold medal in Rio. They have an old team and USA coach doesn’t seem to be a good teacher to develop young players. Coach Lang Ping and GUI are probably two of the best teachers now, young players are always getting better under them.