2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• Dutch always plays China tough, I think this time won’t be different. USA probably missed their best chance to win Olympic gold medal in Rio. They have an old team and USA coach doesn’t seem to be a good teacher to develop young players. Coach Lang Ping and GUI are probably two of the best teachers now, young players are always getting better under them.

Unless bujis and maret miraculously play like sylla and bosetti all of sudden, don't see how they'll beat China. And this Chinese team did overachieve under lang, to her credit. But outside of China, Lang's record was good but not that brilliant.

• Unless bujis and maret miraculously play like sylla and bosetti all of sudden, don't see how they'll beat China. And this Chinese team did overachieve under lang, to her credit. But outside of China, Lang's record was good but not that brilliant.

Lang ping was silver medal at olympic with USA . How she was not brilliant outside China?

What I love about her is her imprevisibility, she can read the other team really well and do the necessary changes. Ze is trying to understand what she did in Rio yet

• Lang ping was silver medal at olympic with USA . How she was not brilliant outside China?

What I love about her is her imprevisibility, she can read the other team really well and do the necessary changes. Ze is trying to understand what she did in Rio yet

silver medal for the USA wasn't a breakthrough for the US, kinda expected i'd say. to each their own i guess.

• silver medal for the USA wasn't a breakthrough for the US, kinda expected i'd say. to each their own i guess.

before 2008,how many years usa didnt get a silver medal in OG?how is the situation when Jenny began to train team US? is it easy to get a silver medal for a team or coach?

• silver medal for the USA wasn't a breakthrough for the US, kinda expected i'd say. to each their own i guess.

I don't know what happened to you atm, but in 2008 USA wasn't the favorite for medal, it was China (host), Brazil, Cuba, and Russia. Come on don't be so arrogant. Lang Ping did a great things, and I still remember how Lang Ping scouted Akin from freshman year which is rare case in USWNT. Not only Akin was really a talented young player, but Lang Ping had an intention to build young players by giving them a lot of experiences in international stage. And this is what Kiraly lacks on. He didn't give a f*** on NCAA talented players.

• im back...i was out of the city .thats why i wasnt on-line (poor internet connection) .i checked the results at best (from the second round on)

i was able to watch a few matches from first round (from trt spor).i couldnt watch any of second round matches

by the way, im disapponted by the Turkish team performance..

i watched the first round matches and...many mistakes,poor reception ,etc..especialy the experienced players couldnt play well enough

e.g. i didnt expect a 3-0 defeat against that Russian team ! that shouldnt have happened that way

anyway.i hope they can play better in the next tournaments

• i like the Italian team and if they keep playing their good game (if Sylla keeps playing that way) then they can achieve the unexpected ..the Italian team especially Sylla has been another player at this tournament .Italian block is pretty effective..generally i didnt use to like MB Chiricella's offensive game (this could have been the insufficient sets she was having) but she is having a good tournament together with Danesi..Bosetti and De gennaro are doing a very good job on the back court..Egonu is the most "dangerous" OPP in the world atm..Malinov is a good setter and good at blocking. that is a good ad.v for her team just ike Naz Aydemir's blocking skills being an adv. to her team and the NT.

Chinese team isnt having a superb tournament but they are doing well as well...i like MB Yan Ni's performance in the both part of this game..it seems to me the Chinese team lacks another realiable attacker other than Zhu Ting..i believe still they can play better

i havent watched The Serbian and American teams..

i like that the Japenese team is in the final 6 ..good job:thumbup: they can play extra well at home and they can suprise us at the third round who knows!

i support the Serbian and Italian teams..i want a new champion at this tournament:drink:

im guessing one of these three teams could win the gold : Italy,Serbia and China..

• Bujis can not pass at a high level during a whole game usually, so as long as they target her from the service line they can take her out of the game... Plak comes in and it is the same thing if not worst. Maret can not score against high block. And they don't have the mentality to win a tournament ...they simply does not have what it takes to beat teams like China and USA.

I don't agree with this. Of course Anne Buijs is not world best receiver BUT:

She has the image that her pass is not good and every opponent knows it, so in total they tried to serve on her for 157 times this tournament. Only Bricio got more serves to handle (163). Buijs' is still ranked 38th, all according to FIVB statistics. (http://japan2018.fivb.com/en/competition/statistics)

Besides the Anne Buijs thing, NED is missing De Kruijf and Daalderop really but I still believe they can surprise us.. we will see :)

• im back..

Welcome back! You missed all the fun :cheesy:

• I don't agree with this. Of course Anne Buijs is not world best receiver BUT:

She has the image that her pass is not good and every opponent knows it, so in total they tried to serve on her for 157 times this tournament. Only Bricio got more serves to handle (163). Buijs' is still ranked 38th, all according to FIVB statistics. (http://japan2018.fivb.com/en/competition/statistics)

The FIVB stats only rank players who have received a high % of serves. Buijs is actually 38th out of 39 players officially ranked (only higher than Gong). As you can see, no player below Gong in this list even has a number in the efficiency % column, that’s because they haven’t received enough serves. If you look at the numbers, you can see Balkestein for example has better numbers than Buijs even though she is lower in the list.

• Brazil - 30.39%

Thanks. I didn't realize I was asking you to do math :) I missed this first time through in the avalanche of posts from people enjoying the tournament. Glad I searched your profile for it.

• Thanks. I didn't realize I was asking you to do math :) I missed this first time through in the avalanche of posts from people enjoying the tournament. Glad I searched your profile for it.

Ah, it’s OK. I like playing around with numbers anyway.

• i know nobody cares now that we are in the final 6 phase, but here's the exciting match between GER x PUR.

interesting that when receiving serve and the setter is in front row, vanyak (MB) moves over to 2 and attacks like an OPP. like rachel sanchez or other cubans...