2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• i don't know, people, i would not count the US out yet. they had no answers for superior teams like ITA and CHN, but if they can figure out their issues (as to why bartsch couldn't get a kill against ITA), they might still be in the mix. i still think the final will be ITA x CHN , but the US can get a bronze.

i certainly don't want either JPN or SRB to get a medal...

• i know nobody cares now that we are in the final 6 phase, but here's the exciting match between GER x PUR.

interesting that when receiving serve and the setter is in front row, vanyak (MB) moves over to 2 and attacks like an OPP. like rachel sanchez or other cubans...

That's because Vanjak actually is an outside hitter in her club and has also played as OPP at times. She just played MB in her NCAA team for a few months some years ago and Koslowski put her to MB position because our "real" MBs are too weak plus Schölzel got injured before WCH, and Vanjak is a too weak receiver to play as OH on international level and at OPP she'd be 3rd choice in NT right now. She'll be back to playing OH in her club because her club coach thinks that this is where she belongs and it's also what she likes the most, but I'm really not sure if this is the best career choice for her...

• I'd like to think that this NED team can still be better too. I know De Krujif is out because of injury. What happened to Pietersen and Daalderop though? And Pilon-Stam did she retire?

• I don't know what happened to you atm, but in 2008 USA wasn't the favorite for medal, it was China (host), Brazil, Cuba, and Russia.

actually in 2008, BRA was the heavy favorite, followed by ITA (ranked #2 in the world at the time), USA, etc.

CUB of course impressed everybody in group stage by beating both CHN and USA, whereas ITA got humiliated by BRA in their group (remember how many times aguero was blocked? the BRA basically put a roof on her...). ITA might have reached final 4, but fivb did a draw for the 2nd and 3rd places, so ITA had to face USA (2 x 2, instead of 2 x 3). and of course CUB disintegrated in the semis and bronze medal match. 2008 was the last time CUB had a top team, i think.

in 2012, the USA were the favorites but they disintegrated in the final against BRA.

• actually in 2008, BRA was the heavy favorite, followed by ITA (ranked #2 in the world at the time), USA, etc.

CUB of course impressed everybody in group stage by beating both CHN and USA, whereas ITA got humiliated by BRA in their group (remember how many times aguero was blocked? the BRA basically put a roof on her...). ITA might have reached final 4, but fivb did a draw for the 2nd and 3rd places, so ITA had to face USA (2 x 2, instead of 2 x 3). and of course CUB disintegrated in the semis and bronze medal match. 2008 was the last time CUB had a top team, i think.

in 2012, the USA were the favorites but they disintegrated in the final against BRA.

and I think that year was one of two of their best teams they had taken to the Olympics.

• China came to win the championship. Zhu being Zhu, the libero and the 201 cm player doing amazing (i will learn the names, i promise)