2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• Did Rai2 really cut the tranmission? It was quite unrespectful for the girls and the team in general! How come?

Only at the very end, and the transmission started at 9am (with almost half an hour of 'in studio' commentary), and before it also Set-Ned was broadcasted. The video on youtube only have a couple of minutes more.

So, for once I've really nothing to complain about! Also after the other matches the interviews weren't transmitted. Actually, I think Rai never made interviews after the match, it's Pasini who is making the interviews (Colantoni does that in the 'free' time). Rai uses the international images, I don't think they have a real cameraman there...

• According to stats, Italy-China had an attendance of 7500...while Japan-Usa over 11500. No words are required.

The match of the home team must be concerned more except other teams are much and much stronger than the home team.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• According to stats, Italy-China had an attendance of 7500...while Japan-Usa over 11500. No words are required.

Still, for the first time – except vs Japan – from the TV I got the impression of a pretty full and cheery audience (even if mostly pro-China ^^)

Anyway, with her 45 points, Egonu got the record as 'Best scorer in a single match at WCh'!

• Sylla has really good stats. 24points and 21/41 in attack.

She should won award for best OH... Her performance is on high level literally every match.

I just want to say poor Turkey. I mean they faced two one of the strongest teams in pool stage. Their confident went so down. Maybe it would be diffrent story if they were in other pools...

• Yeah I thought about it, and I just don't think anyone from the Dutch team is deserving, other than Sloetjes. And there just isn't any room for her, because Bošković and Egonu are there (altho personally I prefer Sloetjes)
    Serbia came 4th in the men's WCH and got no individual awards either.

Also, won't be surprised if a Japanese player turns up. Because Japan. :roll:

• Japan has the best Libero. Because Japan

• Anyone remember the conversation about collectivism and individualism in the WGP 2017 thread? :lol:

its kinda interesting the Usa were the fav. of the most users here to win the the tournament (including me) before the WCH but now they takes the fifth place beating the Japanese team

USA was quite close to the F4 though. Some things just doesn't work quite as intended. They'll probably bounce back. Having top class middle blockers every generation will always get you somewhere.

They just really need a player that could bail them out in out of system phases.

The difference really were Zhu, Boskovic and Egonu for this world championship.

Collectivism is nice but Larson, Hill and Murphy or Lowe just aren't elite hitters who could score at will for USA.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Prediction for the individual awards:
    Setter: Ognjenović

MB: Danesi, Yuan
    OH: Sylla, Zhu

Libero: Popović

OP: Egonu/Bošković

MVP: Egonu/Bošković - depends on which team wins the final

Hmm no. Best libero is clearly De Gennaro. Ni Yan is having a much better tournament than Yuan so second MB should go to her. I hope no awards to Japan, because USA would have to get one too

• Japan has the best Libero. Because Japan

Gennaro deserves this. She killed Zhu's confidence. I still can't believe my eyes with her impossible saves. Japan should just give the best setter to Tashiro because that's not very objective role.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Agree but they do it by numbers. And Kobata is better receiver than ‘moki

• Libero is not only receiving.

De Gennaro is the third best defense and third best receiver. And if we add that De Gennaro usually (in an almost perfect way)sets to the spikers when the pass is broken...well we have the combo for the best libero award.

Popovic did an amazing job today against the Netherlands, but De Gennaro has been more regular along all the WCH.

But I wouldnt be surprised if Japan gets an award. I still remember the MVP of Takeshita in 2006. When the absolute MVP was Sokolova.

Maybe they would make up an award for them. As "most creative coach,", "Miss Congeniality", "Fair Play" and so on like it has happened in the past.

• IMO Popović had a sick tournament and deserves it more than De Gennaro. And four individual awards for Italy would be excessive, especially if they lose the final.
    Agree that Yan deserves it more than Yuan tho. But Yuan is just such a big presence in the Chinese team and is probably the more "well known" player, so I kinda think they just give it to her by default.

• freaking bejeezus, fivb you couldn’t schedule a day’s rest between semi and final? what stupidity to schedule a meaningless 3rd round instead.

i feel that ITA x CHN might have been the “real” final. no slight to SRB, but i’m still upset at their last two matches in 2nd round (knocking BRA out and helping JPN). now SRB has a big advantage tomorrow. actually had ITA beaten SRB in the previous round, the semis would have been different. oh well...

i had a hard time staying awake for the whole match, but it was crazy. i had the impression throughout it that egonu was going to win or lose this for ITA. too many hitting/ serving errors when it really mattered, including when ITA was up 14-12 in 5th. but she came through at the end. agree too that many times sylla might had been a better option but setter went to paoletta instead.

zhu to me has such a weird arm swing, but she’s so fast and can hit in so many directions and places. yan ni is such a strong attacker & blocker. her feint attack is so amazing and effective.

anyway hoping for a great final tomorrow.