2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• I'm sure Barbara Jelić would have been on that list had she ever played a WCh under the new scoring system. Her 53 points scored against Italy at ECh '99 are still mind-blowing.

Hasn't she already played in 98 WCh? By the way any, do you know what the reason was for both Jelic and Tishchenko's retirements at such early ages? I know most Chinese players do that because of injuries but it is not common among European players to retire before 30s (except German Silge)

• Yes, but in 1998 the old scoring system was still in use.

From what I remember, Tishchenko had a very serious injury. Jelić on the other hand simply lost the motivation to play after she got married and gave birth and wanted to spend her time with the family.

• Hasn't she already played in 98 WCh? By the way any, do you know what the reason was for both Jelic and Tishchenko's retirements at such early ages? I know most Chinese players do that because of injuries but it is not common among European players to retire before 30s (except German Silge)

Tishchenko retired from Russian NT when she was 29 years. But she kept playing in Germany or Switzerland if Im not wrong. Just two more seasons.

Three months before Athens 2004, she underwent an open surgery on her knees after a serious injury. It was almost a miracle she was able to play that tournment.

• Question for Italian fans, can Monica de Gennaro be compared/as good as Paula Cardullo? Or is she even better than Cardullo? Other than the obvious, I think De Gennaro really is the core of this Italian team along with Bossetti allowing Team Italia to do their counter attacks.

May be Cardullo was slightly better in reception, but De Gennaro stepped up as 'second setter' on court?

Very hard question, I love them both <3

Ps all the record above posted by Incognito are only about the WCh, and I think since the rally point system.

Don't know if some of these records are such also outside the WCh, though.

• Yes, but in 1998 the old scoring system was still in use.

From what I remember, Tishchenko had a very serious injury. Jelić on the other hand simply lost the motivation to play after she got married and gave birth and wanted to spend her time with the family.

Wasn´t she highly "pushed" by her coaching father (Ivan or something) during her career, especially initally? In such case its in line with the experience that affected the likes of some female tennis players such as Jelena Dokic. But I have just some vague recollections in my memory considering Jelic, perhaps its just "out of the blue", correct me if so.

• Thanks for the answers! I can imagine one can lose all the passion once she achieves so many trophies in such early age. I hope it won't happen to the players such as Zhu, Boskoviç and Egonu since these also are achieving so much in very early age it might be hard to find a challenge in volleyball.

• Wasn´t she highly "pushed" by her coaching father (Ivan or something) during her career, especially initally? In such case its in line with the experience that affected the likes of some female tennis players such as Jelena Dokic. But I have just some vague recollections in my memory considering Jelic, perhaps its just "out of the blue", correct me if so.

She was. Her father was the NT coach throughout the 90s, which on occasion caused considerable friction on the team, with another legendary Croatian player Nataša Leto-Osmokrović openly accusing the coach of giving his daughter the preferential treatment and neglecting the team play in favour in favour of Barbara's individual stats (which would give her extra prize money as the best scorer, the best spiker etc).

But she really was exceptionally talented and physically gifted, that can't be denied. And it is a shame she retired so soon, but it wasn't really surprising considering volleyball was literally the only thing she ever did in her life since she was a child and naturally at some point she wanted something else.

• Has anyone seen this? It got me really angry when I saw it today...

https://vaaju.com/italyeng/vol…-ad-the-company-a-chance/

• I hope that just looks worse then it actually is... Because that does look very bad :white:

Edit:

It surely doesn't seem a coincidince esp. when compared with the men's teams article... I'm sure though that the general Italian ppl are not with Uliveto and the huge backlash on social media proves that! Every country has ignorant overly conservative people, what matters most was the reaction regular people had and that seems like it was the right kind of reaction for this racist (looking) photo...

Did they respond already to the backlash?

• There is nothing incidental about that image - there are enough people involved in this that to suggest no-one noticed at any point is really to prove the point about the racism. Its interesting how quickly some white people were very shocked about the twitter image that blocks out the white girls - but couldn't really see anything wrong with the original advert. Also, Uliveto have so much volleyball advertising on their website of which none features non white people.

I also find it interesting that there is so much effort to mention Egonu and Sylla as only Italian, like their heritage suddenly doesn't count now that they are in the team.

I am just glad that this gets exposed, there is enough of this going around and it just gets swept under the carpet.

• Got to say WCH 2018 is a close one. Serbia, Italy or China all have a chance to win the champion. Congrats to Serbia! They finally got a big NT title. China performed well too. If their opposite or another wing spiker could support Zhu Ting a little bit more, the result may be different in Semi. And China NT always knew how to play against Serbia in a clutch game.

Enogu is the future of Italy NT, given that she's such a young girl and a great jumper. It's a shame that Italy did not qualify for WC 2019. Now they can only focus on Tokyo 2020.

• May I ask a question but no one needs to make a statement just a yes one no....because I live in the US and I am naive about other countries...is there racism based ethnicity or nationality in European countries?

oh yes, lots. I think racism exists everywhere sadly.

• Maxwell, in Italy there's always be a bit of racism (for the foreign in general, not just for black people), imho (of course not by everybody!), but I'm afraid that lately – with the new path of our politics – things are getting even worst... :(

So, we are in the situation that the public opinion is ready to make a fuss for a bottle in front of a black player, but at the same time there are people (I hope not that much, but there are) able to push a black person out of a bus, to beat someone because of his skin color and so on...

• Maxwell, in Italy there's always be a bit of racism (for the foreign in general, not just for black people), imho (of course not by everybody!), but I'm afraid that lately – with the new path of our politics – things are getting even worst... :(

So, we are in the situation that the public opinion is ready to make a fuss for a bottle in front of a black player, but at the same time there are people (I hope not that much, but there are) able to push a black person out of a bus, to beat someone because of his skin color and so on...

Well both situations are the same really, they are different expressions of the same sentiment. Yes the world is experiencing a rise in extremism and right wing ideal, and the minority groups unfortunately are always easy targets everywhere. This is why it is always good that these kinds of things are exposed.

I was in Turin for the men's world championship finals, and while shopping at the new outlet, I was treated in the most shameful racist ways; but made sure my friends and I posted public reviews of those places denouncing those actions. Similar things have happened to me at volleyball events in Pesaro, but also in Poland, so its not just Italy. The best thing we can do is to expose these things and put the people to account. Unfortunately people are more willing to respond when it happens to famous people rather than the ordinary person of colour on the street.

• I was in Turin for the men's world championship finals, and while shopping at the new outlet, I was treated in the most shameful racist ways;

I'm very sorry to hear that :(

Do you mean by random people or by people actually working there? It would be even worst...

• This is from Wikipedia:

According to Japan leading news paper 朝日新聞, the two Japanese local business partner were reported to lost money on hosting the competition. TBS is expected to lose nearly 1 billion yen due to bad sales at commercial advertisements. And JVA was expected to lose 600 million yen as the drop of ticket selling.

Maybe Japan really should take a break from hosting these events :/