2015 World Cup - Japan - 8/22

• Well the link exactly confirms it!!!

Although the way they write it here is indeed a bit strange. But it clearly says number of victories is the first criteria and only when this is the same the points will count.

I don't think the link confirms it. For me, it cleary says the exact opposite. It says the first criteria is number of points. The second criteria (if number of points is the same) would be number of victories.

• "In case of equality of ranking points gained by two or more teams, they will be classified in descending order by the number of matches won."

For me, it is so clear that number of victories will ONLY be used if number of points is the same for two or more teams...

• Are we seeing the same link??? The one you posted says:

1. Number of victories

2. Ranking Points

3. Set ratio

4. Points ratio

The text is a bit confusing indeed, probably they did copy and paste it from the previous tournaments when points came before number of victories, but for me the order of the headlines is very clear.

• I don't know, but I don't think the text a bit confusing. It its actually a lot confusing. Let's see...you're probably right, but the text is strange

• Yeah well, as I said probably they simply copy and pasted it from the previous regulations but put the headlines in the correct order. In all recent tournaments number of victories came first so I don't see why it would be different now.

• Does anyone know why Japan kept serving on Malova? I don't think she was that horrible, well, technically she was struggling in the 1st set but after a while her reception had gotten much better. It was so weird because even Scherban didn't pass almost at all.

Because Malova covered a much wider zone than Scherban'.

• Russian MBs is such a joke :what: without healthy Samoylenko (Shlyakhovaya) and Zaryazhko they have problems both with spiking and blocking :thumbdown:
    Idea with passing by only 2 players (Malova and Shcherban) was just insane, but they dealt with it against Nippon. On the other hand how long can they do like that ?( Orlova and Lyubushkina were just cheerleaders indeed :whistle:

I'm so happy with Serbian victory even with weakness on OH spot (Nikolic didn't exist as hitter) :thumbup: Hill's and Lowe's shine suddenly disappeared, US needs Hooker :call:

Only China with full set after 2 games, but it's just after start. We will see after 6-8 games who is on top and has a chance to qualify to OG, hope it will be Russia and Serbia :roll:

Dominicans barely won with Kenya... and I wonder where is Nizetich in Argentina, is she injured ?(

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Because Malova covered a much wider zone than Scherban'.

Malovas reception is also not the best. As you know Russia plays actually with 2 liberos, one for receiving one for digging. The libero (i forgot her name) who is playing for D. Krasnodar was always the receiving libero for Russia and Malova was the digging libero.

• Malovas reception is also not the best. As you know Russia plays actually with 2 liberos, one for receiving one for digging. The libero (i forgot her name) who is playing for D. Krasnodar was always the receiving libero for Russia and Malova was the digging libero.

She's Svetlana Kryuchkova ^^ NT's Libero for many years :wavy:

• 4 block points total in 5 sets from all Russian MBs is downright horrible. Orlova's block is only effective against slower, taller teams, but against fast teams like Japan, she is useless. Fetisova should have been starting MB for this match.

Re Goncharova, I do not think she minds if another player shares the same "spotlight" with her. You can see she and Kosheleva have such amazing chemistry on and off the court. Of course with Gamova's case it's different :lol:

that is the problem of middles who are tall and not fast enough...Kübra Akman is already a good blocker but against fast team she is simply slow...but when she is on right place then a good possibility that she can make a block..

• that is the problem of middles who are tall and not fast enough...Kübra Akman is already a good blocker but against fast team she is simply slow...but when she is on right place then a good possibility that she can make a block..

it's common problem for such tall players - Gabriela Polańska (200 cm) has the same, Yulia Merkulova also (btw. did she reitre ?()

• about african teams:

ALG: really sad to see the score against CHN. i'd have expected them to improve after going to london but it doesn't seem to be the case. i haven't watched any of ALG's matches (except a few moments against GBR then) but even CMR would have done better here. at the WCh, CMR had some exciting players and gave BRA, BUL and SRB some trouble.

KEN: i think they have improved. from the score x DOM, i am guessing that both: DOM is playing badly (they showed that against RUS) and KEN is improving. they gave CUB quite a scare, i think. DOM is missing bethania a lot, i watched a bit of match x RUS, kwiek started with moreno as OH and she was soon replaced by b. martinez. but RUS block was just too good, stopping most of DOM attacks.

about US x SRB:

woke up too early this morning so i watched the end of it. SRB was just amazing, specially their blocking, and with boskovic, mihailovic and rasic attacking well. even ognjenovic was blocking well against US spikers (lowe and larson). if they keep it up, they can certainly beat RUS and JPN.

• Yeah well, as I said probably they simply copy and pasted it from the previous regulations but put the headlines in the correct order. In all recent tournaments number of victories came first so I don't see why it would be different now.

matthias, that is not correct. in all recent tournaments (WCh and WCup) that i can remember, it is always the points that determine ranking, and if tied, then wins. we have had this discussion here many times, because many of us find that unfair. a team that is 4-1 should not be behind a team that is 3-2, but it does happen in this new points system (NORCECA uses a more graduated system, which is more fair, i think).

• matthias, that is not correct. in all recent tournaments (WCh and WCup) that i can remember, it is always the points that determine ranking, and if tied, then wins. we have had this discussion here many times, because many of us find that unfair. a team that is 4-1 should not be behind a team that is 3-2, but it does happen in this new points system (NORCECA uses a more graduated system, which is more fair, i think).

I think Matthias was referring to more recent times, for example the WGP, where won/lost matches were the first discriminant.

• I think Matthias was referring to more recent times, for example the WGP, where won/lost matches were the first discriminant.

Correct. CEV is using number of victories since last season for Champions League and FIVB has adopted it now as well, they used it in WGP and I think they're using it now for WC. It's still not fully clear because in the standing the first column is points and the second is W/L, but it will come clear when more matches are played and when there will be teams that have more points than others despite having less wins, then we'll see what is the actual rule.

• My opinion on USA setters

Alisha - I like her more than Molly. She is a better defender, much stronger blocker, very quick and gets her body in position to set every ball. Pity she had an injury and had to be off court for so long and lost some connection with her players. As someone said this current system needs perfect connection between setter-hitter.. She may had a off day today and I think she deserves another chance as starter. What I don't like is, her not setting the middles, especially in front of her.. she loves to set slides, but it's so rare to see a simple middle attack. Also her sets although very quick, can be very low and many of the hitters struggle to hit that. It has been a problem since this system was implemented, not only now..

Molly - I think she does very well with this fast tempo and what I like is, although she is setting fast, balls are high enough for the hitters.. She has a much better connection with Lowe.. I've noticed when she sets Lowe, the set is higher and Lowe rips that ball down the line.. When she got balls from Glass, they were too low so no time to change direction and were hit into the block.. Also Lowe is much better hitter down the line than cross court. I also love Kreklow for setting the middles in front and not being afraid to do that. And that brings a lot of points for the US since both Akinradewo and Harmotto are better in front IMO. Her serve is also better than Glass

• Just a couple of hours away from CHNxUSA match.. China winning would almost guarantee them a ticket to Rio, on the other hand if USA wins, it will complicate things further.. Serbia should win against Russia for them to have a chance of qualifying..

• I know Russia's system very well, but 71 is some big number, I remember that Krychkova and Sokolova used to pass, but yesterday Scherban who's supposed to be a defensive OH didnt help Malova at all in reception, which is really rare to see.

I think Malova's passing is not the best, who can handle this amount of reception anyway? She did well I think.