2015 World Cup - Japan - 8/22

• Phenomenal win for Russia! Congrats! :flower:

I hope Russia will join Serbia in qualifying in this WC because it'll be tough if they don't. They've already been through a very long and tiring summer and I'm not sure they have the energy left to play their best at the European qualifiers. Plus, the players could succumb to injuries.

About Serbia, I think they're like a combined Russia-USA team. They have tall and powerful spikers plus a creative setter who can make life easier for them. Ognjenovic is such a gem!

• Well Terzic is often an idiot, but I can't complain about his performance this year (he will probably now find a way to lose against Kenya :lol: ). His decision to tank that WGP match against GER has proven to be the right one.

Nikolic is basically done as a player, her passing and attacking are very bad these days, Malesevic has been a big improvement on her and Tijana has simply been solid, not spectacular.

I don't really understand the comments about Antonijevic being better than Ognjenovic. Ana is a solid setter (obviously better than Zivkovic), but Maja just has an extra something special, making her one of the world's elite setters. From the matches I've seen, Maja has been without doubt the best setter in the tournament, with both her technique and creativity.

• Finally watched the replay of the RUSxUSA match. Goncharova was stopped more than the usual, she was clearly getting irked about it and affected her confidence especially in the second set where she get blocked a couple of times. Good thing Kosheleva was playing steady. Tanya and Natasha really have great chemistry, when one player is not really playing her best, one picks up on the other. But the stars of the match for Russia were Shcherban and Fetisova. The former was just good and reliable in attack, Shcherban has vastly improved her game from the WCH last year where she couldn't kill a ball to save her life. Lastly, Fetisova I think was the real "game changer". Her blocks were made at crucial moments. I remember in the second set where USA were up 24-22, she made a block that enabled Russia to catch up and earn the set. Surpisingly, on the few sets she was given, she converted most of her spikes. Definitely USA did not expect Russia to use their middles on this game. Overall, I don't think Russia played their best game. Goncharova needs to step up on her game in order for them to beat China.

On the other hand, I don't think USA played that bad as well. Russia were simply better in almost all aspects of the game. Foluke were there brightest player on the USA side. Whenever Lyubushkinha were in front, it was almost a sure point whenever USA runs their B quick. The only other player I like is Fawcett. She makes thing looks easy for the USA, and she plays so consistent. IMO, after her performance in the third set, she has basically punched her spot in Rio. When USA is in system, they are probably the best team in the world, along with Brazil, but Brazil of course has Sheilla eho can terminate and win the big points, Russia would agree :lol: But when the system collapses, as other of you have pointed out, they seem to not have a backup plan. This loss is a big blow for the USA. Not only will they not win Gold, they can kiss their ticket goodbye to Rio in this WC. Whether that is a sign for Karch to take Hooker back, my guess is as good as anyone's.

• Well Terzic is often an idiot, but I can't complain about his performance this year (he will probably now find a way to lose against Kenya :lol: ). His decision to tank that WGP match against GER has proven to be the right one.

Nikolic is basically done as a player, her passing and attacking are very bad these days, Malesevic has been a big improvement on her and Tijana has simply been solid, not spectacular.

I don't really understand the comments about Antonijevic being better than Ognjenovic. Ana is a solid setter (obviously better than Zivkovic), but Maja just has an extra something special, making her one of the world's elite setters. From the matches I've seen, Maja has been without doubt the best setter in the tournament, with both her technique and creativity.

Terzic has always been criticized by being stubborn about his player choice. However, he was brave enough to cut a starter player such as Brakoçeviç in WCh and let an 18-year-old girl play, which is something most of the real-stubborn coaches would not make. The last time I remember such a dramatic change before an important tournament was replacement of Mesude Kuyan with Neslihan thanks to coach Deniz Esinduy. Any other case come to your minds?

As we are talking about young stars, what is wrong with Vargas? She hasn't played in any game, is she injured? :white:

• I agree about everything with you apart from Nikolic, It's kinda painful to see her playing so bad, I think even she feels useless herself, especially we consider how great she used to be in the past, before being a mother and all the injuries.

Antonijevic is a great setter and I like her over Bojana Zivkovic by miles but Ognjenovic is just another story, "elegant" is the perfect description for her, definitely. Her block-free sets, outstanding one handed sets and besides she's an amazing blocker, against fast volleyball like USA's. I'm so content to see her best shape back with great motivations. Mihajlovic-Rasic and Boskovic trio were definitely the thrillers of the serbian court but don't forget that Maja has adjusted everything first. Such a honor seeing her play after the big level drops of many setters.

I don't understand people saying Boskovic is too young and not sufficiently experienced, okay, she's young, so? :roll: Especially now with Brakocevic out of the team, who could replace her? Bjelica? No way :D She's only 18 years old this year and she still has infinite potentials to be a world-classed player, even better than now.

With Malesevic being decent I think she could possibly replace Nikolic and I guess their only weakness can be the libero spot.

• Terzic has always been criticized by being stubborn about his player choice. However, he was brave enough to cut a starter player such as Brakoçeviç in WCh and let an 18-year-old girl play, which is something most of the real-stubborn coaches would not make. The last time I remember such a dramatic change before an important tournament was replacement of Mesude Kuyan with Neslihan thanks to coach Deniz Esinduy. Any other case come to your minds?

As we are talking about young stars, what is wrong with Vargas? She hasn't played in any game, is she injured? :white:

Yeah, you are right. Jovana had been injured and though she said she was ready, Terzic thought she was unprepared and Boskovic played great. Terzic has his good qualities, but he is too stubborn about some things. Molnar as a starter in 2013 and 2014 was just ridiculous, but he wouldn't change it for some reason. Nikolic also is still taking up a space sometimes. There is new blood is Serbia that can replace these worn out players.

• Finally watched the replay of the RUSxUSA match. Goncharova was stopped more than the usual, she was clearly getting irked about it and affected her confidence especially in the second set where she get blocked a couple of times. Good thing Kosheleva was playing steady. Tanya and Natasha really have great chemistry, when one player is not really playing her best, one picks up on the other. But the stars of the match for Russia were Shcherban and Fetisova. The former was just good and reliable in attack, Shcherban has vastly improved her game from the WCH last year where she couldn't kill a ball to save her life. Lastly, Fetisova I think was the real "game changer". Her blocks were made at crucial moments. I remember in the second set where USA were up 24-22, she made a block that enabled Russia to catch up and earn the set. Surpisingly, on the few sets she was given, she converted most of her spikes. Definitely USA did not expect Russia to use their middles on this game. Overall, I don't think Russia played their best game. Goncharova needs to step up on her game in order for them to beat China.

On the other hand, I don't think USA played that bad as well. Russia were simply better in almost all aspects of the game. Foluke were there brightest player on the USA side. Whenever Lyubushkinha were in front, it was almost a sure point whenever USA runs their B quick. The only other player I like is Fawcett. She makes thing looks easy for the USA, and she plays so consistent. IMO, after her performance in the third set, she has basically punched her spot in Rio. When USA is in system, they are probably the best team in the world, along with Brazil, but Brazil of course has Sheilla eho can terminate and win the big points, Russia would agree :lol: But when the system collapses, as other of you have pointed out, they seem to not have a backup plan. This loss is a big blow for the USA. Not only will they not win Gold, they can kiss their ticket goodbye to Rio in this WC. Whether that is a sign for Karch to take Hooker back, my guess is as good as anyone's.

Agreed. Natasha had lost all of her confidence after getting blocked several times, but that's not her fault, American blockers are strong but as you mentioned thank god Kosheleva was brave enough to cover Natasha. And Scherban-Fetisova were just :drink: Seriously I never expected anything big from Yana and she's proving I was totally wrong, she definitely wants keep her starter spot.

Fetisova really saved her team by her super blocks, I hope she will rock against China today. Great blocks in critical moments and also some nice attacks from her in front of her setter, IMO she prefers attacking quicks rather than slides.

And let's not forget that Anya Malova also defended american attacks very well, she may be unstable in terms of reception but I see she's improving.

Did you see Kosianenko's splendid dig? I laughed as my ass off actually since I didn't expect she would try to dig it, go girls, they really wanted to win it seemed like. Now, Davai Rossiya, fingers crossed!!

• Head-to-head
    · Russia and China have met on five previous occasions in the World Cup (including Soviet Union).
    ..China have won three times and Russia twice including the most recent meeting in 1999 (1-3).
    · China won both 2015 meetings with Russia in the World Grand Prix, including 3-0 in the Final Round.
    · Russia's last victory against China was in last year's World Grand Prix, beating China 3-2 in the Final Round after trailing 2-0.
    · Russia (including Soviet Union) have the upper hand at the World Championship against China (W6-L5), while China have the upper hand at the Olympic Games (W4-L2).

More at: Leaders Russia and China face off in Nagoya - Women's World Cup 2015

Now who will improve their stats? :drink:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited once, last by samsara ().

• Oh my Russia what a disaster in the 1st set, Chinese great wall right now :white:

• It seems Goncharova hasn't got her game back. Her body language is different, I hope she regains her confidence in G2. China takes 1st set 25-23