2015 World Cup - Japan - 9/8

• I hope that Gregor Łomacz will be totally fine. He was playing solid when this awful injury happened.

I missed situation with Lomacz, what happened? :white:

Regarding the match... Antiga showed he is brilliant tactician :obey: he was ready for Dima as OPP but also when Alekno returned Dima to MB position. Russia still isn't in the best shape, WL scars are still bothering them

• I missed situation with Lomacz, what happened? :white:

Regarding the match... Antiga showed he is brilliant tactician :obey: he was ready for Dima as OPP but also when Alekno returned Dima to MB position. Russia still isn't in the best shape, WL scars are still bothering them

Well, he sliped two times. Once it was in the second set and ref stopped the game but nothing happened. And the second time it was in the middle of the action also, he sliped again and didn't stand up but was helped off the court and substituted. Commentator said about slip but it looked in both situation more like wrong standing and foot twisting.

• Well, he sliped two times. Once it was in the second set and ref stopped the game but nothing happened. And the second time it was in the middle of the action also, he sliped again and didn't stand up but was helped off the court and substituted. Commentator said about slip but it looked in both situation more like wrong standing and foot twisting.

Thanks for the clarification, I missed the second slip, the stream wasn't always going well for me. The first one I saw, but it looked just like an ordinary slip, nothing that serious.

A weird match overall. It surely wasn't the best volleyball we've seen from both teams, but I agree the match was entertaining. I have to agree with Tim that I do not like this non-standard rotation and I do not see it work in the long run. In my opinion, it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to change the course of a very, very important game and adrenaline, apart from the tactical surprise, helped a lot then. Both Muserskiy and Mikhaylov are extraordinary and versatile players, no question about that, but I think this system is doomed to fail. Sure, they would once in a while take a win or so in an important moment, but nothing more, surely not winning tournaments like this. Surprisingly, Tetyukhin was targeted more than Mikhaylov, it should've been the other way around. Also, Muserskiy plays with very high balls in attacks. His spikes are lethal, sure, but these high balls will be well read by a good tactician. And sometimes you would face a good and tall blocker, such as Kurek, who will make you reconsider your strategy. I was very also surprised to see Muserskiy help Obmochaev, Tetyukhin, and Mikhaylov receive Kurek's serves at the beginning of the game. I am afraid the rotation didn't go well for Russia and might've even cost them the win, although I have to agree that Russia is still another team from what we saw in 2013 and 2014. Perhaps they were losing it anyway today. Individually, I am very happy Butko is back. He was, in my opinion, the best Russian player on court. My stream stopped and I don't know why Alekno changed him with Grankin, perhaps it was tactical. Tetyukhin, as great a player as he has always been, suffers in reception despite the good attacks and serves he still performs. It's very sad to know none of the other (younger) OHs can't really step in. It's not like they don't have class or anything. It's very early to judge Vlasov's place in the senior team yet, let's give him some chance. Vovlich's serve isn't spectacular either, I don't think it's a huge problem, it's normal to have floaters in the starting line-up. However, my criticism towards Vlasov goes in direction blocking. His attacks are still that great, but he seems really lost in terms of blocking. Sure, it's just one game, but his movements didn't seem right, so I am a bit sceptical. About their chances, on theory Russia needed wins versus Poland and USA to practically qualify for Rio. They lost to Poland and with such a performance they would suffer against USA and Italy, most probably against Iran and/or Argentina as well.

Poland played better than I had expected. I am surprised by both Kurek's serves and attack consistency. He would usually break at some point, which he didn't today. Also, he seems to have returned to his old service style, it was devastating against Russia. I was pleasantly surprised by Buszek's game as well, very solid performance. I don't know if Drzyzga is in a good shape or not, but I find it a different team with Lomacz as a playmaker. They won today, it's all that matters, but I would still take Drzyzga in a slightly worse shape than Lomacz. The latter I find a bit too predictable, although his sets were good. Too bad he got injured, it would be nice if he can continue, it would make the competition with Drzyzga more challenging.

The Italian team remains a mystey to me. I wouldn't rush and put them among the favourites, but they are surely going to grab points. And come on, guys, you can't say Juantorena looks overweight, he is a relatively skinny and slim player ;)

Overall, the level might not be really high, but there is still time for drama and some super games. Iran and Canada seem well off track indeed. And even if there is a difference between the first half and the second half of the ranking, it's nice from a neutral perspective to see Tunisia, Australia, Egypt, Venezuela, and Japan steal sets and even points.

• I said it before, I still believe it, Kurek is going to be huge as opposite, even if he fails all next matches at this world cup. He seems reborn on this new position, more suitable for his physique.

• Alekno still is in experimental mood. He stays with Muserskiy as OP and Mikhailovas as OH. When they are together in backrow, Mikhailov stays on pos.1 and muserskiy goes to pos. 6. He just hit an impressive pipe..... :white:

• Till now i could just watch Argentina x Iran and most part of the game of Russia x Poland, so i don't have much to say, but is nice to see teams like Venezuela, Egypt and Tunisia putting pressure on big ones

Even better is the decision of Alekno to let Muserskiy play as OPP, even tough he is not that ready, but the time will enable him to rock at this position. Mikhailov is not as strong as in the past, but he can very useful, specially because he is the best server at the moment ( more regular ) and his commitment to do his best is really nice.

Butko is so poor, he barely used Vlasov against Poland and was always so predictable. Kovalev could help more with his great float serves and nice blocking skills

• I think Italy-USA match will determine the fate of the tournament. If USA wins this match , even two defeats will be enough for them to qualify.

can I ask why? Even if we assume that they won't loose any points with theoretically weaker teams, it's still at least possible that they will loose to Poland and Russia, while Italy and Poland win everything (aside from the looser of Pol/It)...

there are four candidates for two spots here: USA, Italy, Poland and Russia ( If Argentine or Iran qualifies, it would be a surprise, IMHO), and winning one of three matches with favorites will probably not be enough.

• Butko is so poor, he barely used Vlasov against Poland and was always so predictable. Kovalev could help more with his great float serves and nice blocking skills

This proves that either you have not watched most of the game or that you have watched a totally different game :) Butko was actually great. He did use his middles when he could, Poland's strong serves didn't allow him to do more on several occasions. I am not saying he was superb because the entire level of volleyball so far has been just normal, but I found nothing wrong with his sets or his distribution. Besides, his jump serves were decisive at the end of the first and the second set. He had a huge role in the Russian comeback in the opener. And they were even very close to the 2-0 lead.

• It is because so far Russian isn't as good as we expect.
    My prediction is Poland will win all of their matches.Russia will lose to one of USA and Italy.
    So it will be Poland 11-0 , Russia 9-2 , USA 10-1 or 9-2 , Italy 9-2 or 8-3 , USA is winning without giving many sets against other 8 teams so they will have better set ratio.
    But this is just prediction of course there are many things that can change the score like great individual plays, choke factor etc.

• It is because so far Russian isn't as good as we expect.
    My prediction is Poland will win all of their matches.Russia will lose one of the USA and Italy.
    So it will be Poland 11-0 , Russia 9-2 , USA 10-1 or 9-2 , Italy 9-2 or 8-3 , USA is winning without giving many sets against other 8 teams so they will have better set ratio.
    But this is just prediction of course there are many things that can change the score like great individual plays, choke factor etc.

that's quite a prediction for Poland. While I would love it happened, USA is the favorite of the match with us.

The Poland situation right now seems to be the best though, we started great, I hope it will last till the end :drink:

I still think two of three wins in "big four" will probably be "a must" for qualification

and remember it's almost impossible that Iran or Argentine won't make some surprises with the favorites

BTW, as I remember we play the last match with Italy. I can be a funny one. If one of the team was already out of the game, they won't fight that much, will they? :lol:

• Italy started with three wins but that doesn't really mean anything. The opponents we faced are all of lower level, they won't compete for the title nor they can be considered as dark horses. Anyway I'm satisfied with the team, it looks like the hard times of this summer are passed! The match with USA will tell what we can do, I don't expect or pretend a win but I'd like some good game to show us and to themselves that they can still play against the strongest NTs.

Poland looked great also today, with a good come back in the third and then controlled the match in the fourth. They need one more win...

Italy will face three tough opponents in the last turn, let's see how we'll arrive there!

• Poland looked great also today, with a good come back in the third and then controlled the match in the fourth. They need one more win...

Italy will face three tough opponents in the last turn, let's see how we'll arrive there!

I agree with you - we'll know much more on Saturday after USA-ITA, POL-IRI and RUS-ARG.
    I think there will be the same as for women WC 10-1 enough to qualify. Last three days of competition are crucial (ITA-RUS, POL-USA, USA-RUS and POL-ITA) however do not forget Argentina and ... Iran. Both teams are able to grab some points (or even win) from favourites.
    So far I'm surprised how bad play Australia.

• I agree with you - we'll know much more on Saturday after USA-ITA, POL-IRI and RUS-ARG.
    I think there will be the same as for women WC 10-1 enough to qualify. Last three days of competition are crucial (ITA-RUS, POL-USA, USA-RUS and POL-ITA) however do not forget Argentina and ... Iran. Both teams are able to grab some points (or even win) from favourites.
    So far I'm surprised how bad play Australia.

And Canada. No sign of their 2013, 2014, or even 2015 form. They started the summer with some great volleyball, they looked like a solid team against Bulgaria and USA. I have no idea why they underperform in Japan, they had a month or so of free time for preparation after the World League. Today Hoag played with Steven Marshall as an opposite, I don't even know why Schmitt didn't enter the field. However, it is a long tournament and Canada should be able to step up and make a couple of good games. We'll see whose plans they could ruin.

• AUS finished 5th at the recent ACh., so no surprise here. at times, they looked amateurish, with easy balls dropping because of miscommunication. JPN should have taken that match in 3.

EGY is proving to be a tough one to beat.

what happened to travica?

• Pay attention to coach Blengini from 1:12:00 to 1:15:10.
    Is it me or is he praying at 1:14:55-1:15:05 :lol: ?
    In one of the time-outs , Sottile whispered something to his ear and he nodded(I found it at 1:00:05-1:00:10) :P
    So far he looks so stressed, in full panic mode. I wonder how he will react against top teams like USA.

• Italy is using neutralized Cuban players in other sports, too. Frank Chamizo is an Italian (former Cuban) Wrestler who became world champion last night. This was their first ever freestyle wrestling gold medal. (and their second gold total) :lol:

• Italy is using neutralized Cuban players in other sports, too. Frank Chamizo is an Italian (former Cuban) Wrestler who became world champion last night. This was their first ever freestyle wrestling gold medal. (and their second gold total) :lol:

Sounds a bit tough to me. Are you sure it's Italy not Germany?