2015 FIVB World League

• My dear, wishing is so easy and that's all. Such terrorist groups feel like they are unpunished. What their goverment did? They did what these bastards want.
    Anyway, it's not my business... But i really worry because who knows what will happen in next week when next NT will come there. I hope it will be ok and this situation will not grow.

Hi,
    My dear friend Username 100,
    Thanks for your concerns. I do appreciate it.
    That is one totally domestic matter.
    It's not the Iranian way to disrespect our guests. Review Team USA interviews please.
    Besides all our disagreements, one common thing among all Iranians is that we disgrace those who don't treat their guests in the best possible ways.

• Hi,
    Moreover, it's not just because Team USA was in Iran. Had it been any other team, the same would've happened.

We are all doing our best to stop such actions. It'll all be over soon, I hope.

Hi,
    My dear friend Username 100,
    Thanks for your concerns. I do appreciate it.
    That is one totally domestic matter.
    It's not the Iranian way to disrespect our guests. Review Team USA interviews please.
    Besides all our disagreements, one common thing among all Iranians is that we disgrace those who don't treat their guests in the best possible ways.

All what you saying is plastic courtesy from one or several citizens. You let these people rule your country. And who are you trying to convince that your guests after such situation feel well-welcomed? What would you feel when you wake up at match day and before game you found out about these threats? Would you play as you can? Would you be fully concentrated? It's not justification, it's normal defensive reaction who wants to focuse only on match and want to live in peace but must play with such thoughts. In normal countries such threating causes prison but will Iranian goverment catch this group? Well, i doubt if they listened them and do what they want. Really don't want to argue with you because single person can not overthrow this regime. But i can worry if my national team will come after such situation and it's easier to ignore this for supporters whose national team doesn't need to come there in near future.

• Today Velasco started a team with better players (Gauna in Crer out, Filardi in Zornetta out, Closter in Garrocq out) and as a result Argentina sweeped Bulgaria! (25-19, -19, -16) :white:

Now I'm getting really hopeful about the future. This team, when Conte and Quiroga play, will make everyone talk about us again, you'll see 8)

• All what you saying is plastic courtesy from one or several citizens. You let these people rule your country. And who are you trying to convince that your guests after such situation feel well-welcomed? What would you feel when you wake up at match day and before game you found out about these threats? Would you play as you can? Would you be fully concentrated? It's not justification, it's normal defensive reaction who wants to focuse only on match and want to live in peace but must play with such thoughts. In normal countries such threating causes prison but will Iranian goverment catch this group? Well, i doubt if they listened them and do what they want. Really don't want to argue with you because single person can not overthrow this regime. But i can worry if my national team will come after such situation and it's easier to ignore this for supporters whose national team doesn't need to come there in near future.

These reported threats that concern you are all media bulls**ts and are extremely exaggerated by western media who like these reports about Iran.It's not the first time the Polish team or any other foreign country are coming to Iran for sports events and never anything disturbing has happened to them.You should know that Iran is the safest country in the region of middle east and is a place like any other place on earth just with minor differences.So please stop acting like some single-minded US Republican politician who envision Iran as a frightening terrorist country!

• Pool B seems to be very interesting after 2 wins of Iran. Iran still has their chance for a ticket to final.

Are there 6 spots in final including 3 spots in pool A, 2 in pool B and 1 for champoin of Divion 2 (I hope France) ?

• Today Velasco started a team with better players (Gauna in Crer out, Filardi in Zornetta out, Closter in Garrocq out) and as a result Argentina sweeped Bulgaria! (25-19, -19, -16) :white:

Now I'm getting really hopeful about the future. This team, when Conte and Quiroga play, will make everyone talk about us again, you'll see 8)

This time you completely deserved the victory, full destruction in 2nd and 3rd set! In the first we made all time record with 14 unforced errors. I watch every match of our NT since 2006 and I can assure you that with Prandi and Stoychev we did 5 errors per set, not 10. This is not risky game, it is unprofessional. The first match and the first set of the second showed that we are not progressing towards any goal, therefore we do not have a system. Only Skrimov played yesterday, the only world class spiker in the abscence of Aleksiev, Kaziyski and Sokolov.

• This time you completely deserved the victory, full destruction in 2nd and 3rd set! In the first we made all time record with 14 unforced errors. I watch every match of our NT since 2006 and I can assure you that with Prandi and Stoychev we did 5 errors per set, not 10. This is not risky game, it is unprofessional. The first match and the first set of the second showed that we are not progressing towards any goal, therefore we do not have a system. Only Skrimov played yesterday, the only world class spiker in the abscence of Aleksiev, Kaziyski and Sokolov.

Btw, I thought N. Penchev has improved this year, but his performance at WL has been awful so far. It's very common for him to have 30% attack efficiency in a match.

• Hey, I'm here after a year...
    I think that Iran will go far with regarding the next 4 matches which will be played at the home with such huge participation of Iranian fans.
    Although Iran haven't had any championship or any other color medal, the Polish sensibly feel danger of being not qualified enough to be chosen for the next round...
    Let me express my prognostication...
    If Iran defeat Poland(which would be happened if they played as same as what they showed against USA), Polish have to win over USA which will be a tough job! because American will be required to be the winner over Poland in order to be the Leader of the group and having a free feel of being qualified enough for the next round...
    In the other side, USA will have a tough job in Russia as well since Russian have to gather more and more score in order not to be left from the first class groups for the next year.

• All what you saying is plastic courtesy from one or several citizens. You let these people rule your country. And who are you trying to convince that your guests after such situation feel well-welcomed? What would you feel when you wake up at match day and before game you found out about these threats? Would you play as you can? Would you be fully concentrated? It's not justification, it's normal defensive reaction who wants to focuse only on match and want to live in peace but must play with such thoughts. In normal countries such threating causes prison but will Iranian goverment catch this group? Well, i doubt if they listened them and do what they want. Really don't want to argue with you because single person can not overthrow this regime. But i can worry if my national team will come after such situation and it's easier to ignore this for supporters whose national team doesn't need to come there in near future.

I know what you are thinking about which is affected by Media shows, but you should try to think about us fairly.
    Iran is the safest country in the region, as safe as our neighbor Turkey....Iran is well-developed but with such problems which have been happened by some ridiculous rules or decisions.
    On the other side, it also have been happened for the US figure in the majority of Iranian medias as well. But Iranian are aware of what is the fact since they can feel what is being happened for them(sanctions, inflation,...) but in the US side, I think that the majority of people don't care about politic.
    Yeah, I'm one of those who are really mad at some rules that is being regarded in my country but I do not have any power to change these measures...
    Iranians are not as same as some Arab countries to be done some unreasonable wars or murders as they do!... we are such more peaceful than what you think...We do not want to attain something with rage...
    Again, I can imagine what's your feeling, but you do not familiar with all the situations or facts. Please come here once at least, I'm pretty sure that your mind will be changed...As it did for everyone who came here.

The last comment of Spraw on Iran as one of those:
    Speraw on Iran and his message to Americans: "My first impression was that everyone here has been incredibly hospitable. Everyone has been very nice. They have gone out of their way to make sure that we had really nice experience here. I think we have enjoyed it tremendously. We had the opportunity to get out into the city one day. We went to the [Milad Tower] and learning a little more about Tehran, and I think that is good for us. We went to a nice lunch on the hills. I think we wanted to do those things because I think we are all aware that the portrait of the relationship between Iran and the United States is inaccurate in the media. Probably on both sides, my guess. I think, what I know and have known from spending time with Iran and the United States both last year and this year is that the relationship between the people is not reflective of the relationship between our governments and that the Iranian people are wonderful people and have treated us kindly. I think we have shown the same because America is a wonderful country with wonderful people too. Yes, it a great place, so the message we would bring back is this: it was a great trip and we look forward to coming here again. And I think we have much better understanding of what the environment is both inside the arena and outside."
    Ref: FIVB world league website.

• Do not forget that Spraw has been told both by USA Volleyball and the US government prior to this trip, "Do Not Say Anything Negative About Your Time in Iran, while in the country."
    It is a common thing to remind people when traveling abroad, the cultural norms are different than those of our own. Just observe and take mental notes. (I traveled in China and felt very uncomfortable when not with friends to talk about things that looked strange)
    Additionally, some countries promote open and free discussions (does not mean people agree). Additionally freedom of the press and broadcasting enables people to criticize their governments and officials to be a watchdog for when things are done wrong.
    If Spraw or any American player said something negative about the trip, the Iranian government could have throw them in jail. It is much easier to complain, when you know you will not go to jail.
    I am glad that I live in a free country, where I can state my opinion without government retribution.

If Spiridonov was talking then it may be a different story.

During the cold war between the USA and USSR, often the political challenges did not turn out well. The political rivalry was then promoted into sports, USA vs. USSR in basketball, ice hockey, track, etc. Do not forget about India and Pakistan in cricket.
    The 1998 World Cup match between USA and Iran was built as a political battle, but it was just a sports battle. The volleyball matches again, just a sports battle.

On this site and in my studies (lived in Japan for 1 year, graduate school with Chinese, Thai, Taiwanese students) and travels (UK, India, China, Singapore, Brazil), I have learned that there are many cultural differences, but you need to observe what commonalities we as humans have and try to work with those to make connections to people with different backgrounds than my own.

The reason we come to this site is that we love the sport of volleyball. We may complain about our team (which ever team you follow) or players. Some of this is based on truth (the results of matches or statistics) and some of this is on personal bias (Growing up in the states, I am a USA fan and after living in Japan, I am a Japanese fan). This site is open for discussion, which is a good thing for all of us. :win:

• Flavio Gulinelli is already leaving his mark in Slovakia. They had six games in preparation for the Group III finals at home and yet they dropped a 2-0 advantage 4 (!!!) times. Twice against China and twice against Greece. OK, they will host the finals anyway and results won't matter much now, but I am really curious what their confidence will be when they face the likes of China, Montenegro, and Egypt in two weeks' time. It is detrimental to not take actions when your team has experienced the same scenario four times in a week.

• Whats wrong with Russia NT. Why Granking and Musser still in holiday? They had a lot of free time after season. I know that World League in this season isn't priority but other teams don't have this problem and playing full roster.

• Does anyone have more information about the Cuban Federation's decision regarding Javier Jimenez? He became a champion of Greece with PAOK and is now competing at the World League for Cuba. I thought players, and more importantly "foreigners", can only return and represent Cuba if they leave their respective foreign clubs for good. The same deal was offered to Juantorena and many other Cubans.

• Do not forget that Spraw has been told both by USA Volleyball and the US government prior to this trip, "Do Not Say Anything Negative About Your Time in Iran, while in the country."
    It is a common thing to remind people when traveling abroad, the cultural norms are different than those of our own. Just observe and take mental notes. (I traveled in China and felt very uncomfortable when not with friends to talk about things that looked strange)
    Additionally, some countries promote open and free discussions (does not mean people agree). Additionally freedom of the press and broadcasting enables people to criticize their governments and officials to be a watchdog for when things are done wrong.
    If Spraw or any American player said something negative about the trip, the Iranian government could have throw them in jail. It is much easier to complain, when you know you will not go to jail.
    I am glad that I live in a free country, where I can state my opinion without government retribution.

But they have not been told to "tell something positive about Iran". right? Spraw talk about Iranian more than the game...Do you think that Iranian are comfortable in attending in the USA. I have to wait around 8 to 10 months for getting an American Visa . It is a both sided problem...
    The American players would not have been arrested even they told something bad about Iran... it's a big exaggeration. I do not know why you think in this way :-)

The reason we come to this site is that we love the sport of volleyball. We may complain about our team (which ever team you follow) or players. Some of this is based on truth (the results of matches or statistics) and some of this is on personal bias (Growing up in the states, I am a USA fan and after living in Japan, I am a Japanese fan). This site is open for discussion, which is a good thing for all of us. :win:

As you told, this is a sport forum...though I have a lot of reasons and stories to express about all have been written by you, I do not want to discuss out of the topic areas... I also think that everybody has the right to have a presumption about everything...
    Just for mentioning, I'm one of those who agree with the idea of banning my national team in order to change the rules for woman...
    I also suggest you to have a trip to Iran to sense the facts and evaluate your information here experimentally. :)

• Btw, I thought N. Penchev has improved this year, but his performance at WL has been awful so far. It's very common for him to have 30% attack efficiency in a match.

I wouldn't blame him, he alone covers reception area for two, sometimes for three people. You can't spike after so much reception if you are not NBA material :bump:

• Does anyone have more information about the Cuban Federation's decision regarding Javier Jimenez? He became a champion of Greece with PAOK and is now competing at the World League for Cuba. I thought players, and more importantly "foreigners", can only return and represent Cuba if they leave their respective foreign clubs for good. The same deal was offered to Juantorena and many other Cubans.

I remember myself reading somewhere that, from this year, Cuban federation allowed some players to play in foreign leagues. Of course they picked these countries and leagues and controlled the whole process. I would assume that the players didn't have much to say and probably the federation cashed in for them as well.

I just couldn't find the source for it but i will check it again later and post a link if i find one.

• I remember myself reading somewhere that, from this year, Cuban federation allowed some players to play in foreign leagues. Of course they picked these countries and leagues and controlled the whole process. I would assume that the players didn't have much to say and probably the federation cashed in for them as well.

I just couldn't find the source for it but i will check it again later and post a link if i find one.

It sounds plausible enough already, no need to delve the archives, thanks a lot :) It seems Cepeda's future in the NT is also secure in case he has really chosen the "allowed" country Greece.

• https://twitter.com/Mielewski/status/613729361305411585

Kurek will not play vs Iran in Game1, doubtful for game2.

I do wish he makes it. We're gonna make up for our two defeats and beating them without Kurek won't be as delightful. Besides, with him in the court the match is more fun to watch.