Men's World Championship 2018

• i saw on wikipedia that in the 2nd match, CHN had no trouble with KAZ. and a few weeks ago, KAZ finished 2nd at AVC and CHN, 8th. weird... also noticed KAZ has a 7-footer MB (212 cm)???? that's crazy tall... is he any good?

QAT players are all from balkans, brazil and africa...

that's because of the AVC format of the competition, in second round you can lose all 3 matches and still you will have a chance in quarterfinal. Kazahstan was lucky to face Chinese Taipei in QF and they had one great match vs Korea in SF. if we had all top 10 teams playing in a round robin, China probably would finish 3rd or 4th, Kazakhstan 7th or something like that.

• mosi, but what you say also applies to the olympics.

the AVC had some weird results. TPE beat both CHN and AUS in first round... then all 4 teams in pool E beat all teams in pool F to make the semis (that happened in the olympics too, in the women's tournament). also INA eliminated IRN... etc.

CHN and AUS didn't do well in that tournament... also QAT eliminated in first round by KAZ and INA.

i see on wikipedia IRN beat KOR 3-0 and CHN beat QAT 3-0. seems like these two teams will qualify to WCh.

• I*****h eagle eye, it's "a good job".
    In the first day, it's a video.
    In the third day, it becomes a photo.
    So cool!!!
    :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• The final south american qualifier started already between Argentina, Chile and Venezuela.

in the first game ARG 3-1 CHI. Then yesterday there was upset and Chile defeated Venezuela 3-0! Venezuela is already out with this result.

In the final match ARG-VEN, ARG will qualify just by winning 2 sets. If VEN wins 3-0 or 3-1, then CHI qualifies.

• The main qualifiers in North America are through. Source FIVB

The tournament didn't go without surprises. The Dominican Republic haven't been a factor even in NORCECA, so their straight-set win against Mexico in the semis and eventual WCH berth can be considered a surprise. They also have a few experienced players but not all played in the qualifier these past days. I don't even know if Batista and Contreras, for instance, are still NT players. Or active players, for that matter.

Which brings us to the more interesting question. We had no Puerto Rico and Cuba in the States. Mexico finished fourth, so they have to appear in the additional qualifiers. There are two more spots to grab and one of the alleged favourites (there were 5 vacancies, after all) will have to stay at home. Does anyone have more information about Puerto Rico's absence at least and whether they will try to qualify? Cuba, I presumre, is a big question mark to everyone. No information is set about the venue, host, formula, and date of the second qualifier. Mexico, based on the fact that they didnt''t qualify now, seems as a decent choice to host it, though.

• ^ Apparently there's been quite the drama regarding this latest NORCECA tournament. Brazilian media is reporting that president (and FIVB vice-president) Cristóbal Marte changed semifinals at the last minute in order to benefit DOM (it seems it was supposed to be USA - MEX and CAN - DOM instead of DOM - MEX), leaving the teams with barely hours in order to prepare.

• Puerto Rico and Cuba did not make to the States because of the hurricane Maria.

I`m surprised you guys have not heard about it, the Hurricane almost destroyed the whole Island of Puerto Rico. And the whole Caribbean has been dealing with Hurricanes.

I guess it is unknown the dates and location for the next phase, they gotta wait and see when Puerto Rico and Cuba will be ready to play.

• Puerto Rico and Cuba did not make to the States because of the hurricane Maria.

I`m surprised you guys have not heard about it, the Hurricane almost destroyed the whole Island of Puerto Rico. And the whole Caribbean has been dealing with Hurricanes.

I guess it is unknown the dates and location for the next phase, they gotta wait and see when Puerto Rico and Cuba will be ready to play.

We know about the hurricane, of course. I would never imagine they would still allow the qualifiers when, in this case, two of the teams could not travel 8| How did the Dom. Rep. fly then? Their island is placed just between the two.

• ^ Apparently there's been quite the drama regarding this latest NORCECA tournament. Brazilian media is reporting that president (and FIVB vice-president) Cristóbal Marte changed semifinals at the last minute in order to benefit DOM (it seems it was supposed to be USA - MEX and CAN - DOM instead of DOM - MEX), leaving the teams with barely hours in order to prepare.

That is not TRUE - UOL is absolutely wrong.

The schedule was changed but before the tournament even started with the absence of P.Rico and Cuba, everyone in Pool A and B played 1 game less, while Pool C with Mexico everyone played 3 games.

And the proof that this article is wrong, on teamusa website on the night before the quaterfinal btw USA and Costa Rica, the article already mention the winner of this game will face Canada in the semi-final.

here`s the article with date and time ( as everyone can see everyone knew Canada would face USA in the semis days before and not hours before)

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Vol…ill-Play-in-Quarterfinals

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado, September 28, 2017 11 P.M. (ET)
    The U.S. Men’s National Team won a slugfest against the Dominican Republic, 25-17, 25-21, 25-10 on Thursday
    The victory wasn’t enough to get the United States into the semifinals. Even though the U.S. Men won their pool, they had the lowest point differential of any of the three pool winners. The Americans will play Costa Rica in the quarterfinals on Friday at 7 p.m. Dominican Republic (1-1), which finished pool play in second place, will play Trinidad & Tobago.
    The winner of the match between the United States and Costa Rica will play Canada in the semifinals.

• We know about the hurricane, of course. I would never imagine they would still allow the qualifiers when, in this case, two of the teams could not travel 8| How did the Dom. Rep. fly then? Their island is placed just between the two.

I don`t know, but my guess is that it was too late to cancel the event once everything was ready and set to go. And I don`t know how D. Republic got there, but I think all the hurricane was gone by that time and R.Republic did not get affected by the hurricane.

• Puerto Rico couldn’t go to USA because of hurricane maria. The hurricane didn’t hit whole Dominican Republic. And, I think it became depression after hit Puerto Rico. Cuba didn’t compete the tournament because of closure US embassy in Cuba. The Cuba women team qualified in Canada last weekend.

• horrible what has happened to PUR and the caribbean islands. but what a joke FIVB is to give NORCECA 5 spots at the WCh... what a total joke.

so now USA, CAN and DOM are qualified. the remaining 2 spots will probably go to MEX and CUB since PUR will probably not even contest.

• Today official presentation. On November the 30th the pool sorting (so no serpentina system? or the sorting is for the location?).

4 phases, the first two in Ita and Bul, the latter two in Italy (actually I'm not sure since it's not specified, but the last one is in Italy for sure so I guess both are, if it's specified that Bulgaria will held the first two as well).

Formula:

First phase: 4 pools of 6 teams. The first 4 of each pool are qualified.
    Second phase: 4 pools of 4 teams. The first of each pool is qualified, plus the best second in the Italian pools and the best second in the Bulgarian pools (a thing I don't like)
    Third phase: 2 pool of 3 teams, the first two of each pool will play the semifinal. It's not specified if first of one pool vs second of the other and viceversa, or if it will be sorted out randomly (I prefer the first option).
    Fourth phase: Final 4

Italy: first Italian match on September the 9th in Foro Italico, Rome (open air, in case of rain Palalottomatica, Rome as well). I didn't understand if it will be held there only the first match (like with the stadium in Poland) or all the Italian matches of the first phase... (I think the first one).
    In general: Bari and Florence (first fase), then Bologna and Milan and finally Turin (it's not clear if the first two will held the second phase and Turin the third and the 4th, or if Turin will host only the final4).*
    Anyway it's practically impossible to follow all the italian matches live unless you have free train tickets or a lot of money :lol:

Bulgaria: Sofia, Varna, Ruse. I've no idea in which order.

*it's a pity Modena isn't involved, I guess the arena isn't big enough? But I though it was ok being 5000 (unlike Trento and I think Perugia). All the chosen one are bigger, anyway.
    It would have been an perfect arena for the pool without Italy in the first phase. I mean, think they would more gladly follow France (Ngapeth) or Brazil (Bruno-Lucas) or even Serbia (Petric, Kovacevic) than Italy :lol:
    [Kidding, but it's true it's a place that can be crowded eve without Italy, having at least one-two good team].

• I hate this formula, absolutely BORING....phase after phase after another phase. This does not attract fans.

It should be just like Soccer World Cup and the youth tournaments, with Round of 16. This makes it very exciting even if you have a Brazil vs Korea game.

And teams carrying points from the previous rounds makes it even worst, the teams ranked in #3 and #4 already starts the 2nd rounds with basically no "chances" in qualifying once they already have less points. And once the the Top ranked 2 teams in each pools win their first and second game in 2nd round they are already qualified for round #3, and they play the 2 remaining games with their bench. That is what happened with Brazil and USA (women`s). And this bring us back to the "fixing" games, another example Brazil vs D.Republic, Brazil choose to play with their starters and play to win, but in this case other teams especially in the men`s side could easily use their bench, and with that China would have been eliminated. ( If this happened or happens with the men`s of course teams like Brazil,Italy,Bulgaria would rest players)

Absolutely no sense format.

I watched almost every knock out game from the U18 because when it is a knock out game it is always interesting. But the U20 was boring because they have only the semis as a knock out game.

I`m not a soccer fan, but in the World Cup it is easy to watch when you turn the TV and you have a bunch of knock out games, but if you would turn the tv and they were playing group stages, phases rounds would not be so interesting.

at the least they should use the formula from 2002 with the quaterfinals.

:mad: :wacko:

• And teams carrying points from the previous rounds makes it even worst,

Uh, I totally forgot that.
    In fact I even thought that somehow the 2nd phase was even more complicated than a eight final (for a good team, at least), since in a eight final you have a theoretical 50% chance of going forward, while in a 4 team pool you have only the 25% chance of being the first and pass (something more if you think that also two 'best second' will pass).

• Third phase: 2 pool of 3 teams, the first two of each pool will play the semifinal. It's not specified if first of one pool vs second of the other and viceversa, or if it will be sorted out randomly (I prefer the first option).

And in fact they picked the first option :lol:
    But I realize now that it's ok to avoid calculation for the crossing. I don't know if the sorting will respect 'second vs first', though.

Anyway I hate the 3 teams-pools (like WL F6) because the teams that plays the last match can 'decide' on the third team destiny, unless this third team hasn't won/lost both matches.