Men's World Championship 2018

• We finally have a major upset at the WCH and no one is talking about it? Did anyone actually watch the Netherlands yesterday or you all preferred USA-RUS? It feels great to finally have one the world's most emblematic teams back to a WCH (NED) for the first time since 2002 and they didn't disappoint. The Netherlands played already decently against Canada and, in my opinion, didn't deserve to lose in straight sets but have improved since. The scandals in the Brazilian camp make sense and could perhaps partially explain their problems. However, yesterday it felt like Brazil entered the field overconfident, having previously beaten their toughest rivals in the group France. I don't know what the reasons were and what exactly played a role, but their display had little in common to the one against France. Nevertheless, kudos to the motivation, performance, and preparation of teh Dutch team! They blocked the Brazilians on a number of occasions, served well, seemed very composed even after they lost the opening set. Yes, that's correct, they didn't even Abdel-Aziz. Ter Maat did well, the reception improved throughout the game, but overall it was an amazing performance by the MB Parkinson and the setter van Haarlem. I am happy Pool B proves to be as interesting as expected. Now France have everything in their hands to gain the leading position, but they will face motivated Dutch and Canadian sides. And whereas I don't know if the Netherlands can again surprise today (although they did extremely well against France at the ECH last year), we are yet to see where Antiga's Canadians stand.

By the way, for th e sake of statistics, the last time the Netherlands beat Brazil at a WCH was back in 1966! Although they enjoyed some wins against Brazil in the World League over the years, something that few teams could achieve, it seemed like a different story at WCHs.

An amazing match between Belgium and Slovenia, too. I honestly doubted Slovenia could turn things around, but these subs were golden! Sket with one of the tournament's best performances, mesmerizing efficiency! And although I missed parts of the match, I didn't actually see Ropret make a (big) mistake or deliver inaccurate sets, at least in the rallies I saw. Slovenia has not been beaten at a WCH yet and although it will be difficult against a great-serving, home-playing Italian team, they have already surpassed their minimum goals in the debut, I presume.

I am quite happy (almost) all teams started collecting sets and the initial straight-set wins were replaced with longer matches, at least in the past two days. Even the poor Tunisian team played their best match yesterday against Serbia. Puerto Rico are yet to demonstrate if they can at least partially challenge Finland and fellow Cubans, having now played against all Pool D's top teams. Pity, because that's the weakest Puerto Rican team I've seen. They managed to beat Italy 4 years ago even if they were drawn into the Group of Death back then and expectedly failed to advance. The only really missing team from the tournament is Germany, in my opinion, and I would sacrifice the 5th NORCECA berth, based on their teams' performances so far, to invite the Germans. But that's me.

I am disappointed by the Chinese team. They did so much better at the VNL, I had higher hopes for their matches in Russe. I can't say whether teams scouted them well after the VNL or if they just underperform, but even the opposite Chuan Jiang seems lost and often blocked against any team. Pity, Pool B would've been even more intense with a better Chinese team.

• How are they different?

I think the women in the second phase have 2 pools of 8 teams, with the first 3 per pool advancing? And I think they bring from the first phase only the points against the teams that join them in the second phase...

Ps I may be wrong: I'm too lazy to check it properly, I just have this fade memory about it ;)

• I was eager to know more about Brazil defeat, and it's impressive the last time they lose vs Ned was in 1966!

The information was first released by FIVB yesterday. I checked it last night and it is true indeed. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it, though, because they had barely played against each other at WCH. The only encounter since 1966 was back in 2002 in Argentina, since 2002 the Netherlands didn't take part at any WCH and between 1966 and 2002 they didn't even meet.

• We finally have a major upset at the WCH and no one is talking about it? Did anyone actually watch the Netherlands yesterday or you all preferred USA-RUS?

I am disappointed by the Chinese team. They did so much better at the VNL, I had higher hopes for their matches in Russe. I can't say whether teams scouted them well after the VNL or if they just underperform, but even the opposite Chuan Jiang seems lost and often blocked against any team. Pity, Pool B would've been even more intense with a better Chinese team.

NED played fiercely yesterday, everyone looked super motivated. Brazil actually tied it up at 19:19, I remember, but then NED's serves(I don't remember who) crushed BRA.

As for the Chinese team, I really don't like this team, pretty much everyone is horrible, looks like an amateur team. No one can pass, no one can defend, weak serves, and blocking only worked yesterday against Canada.

• Thanks YavorD for sharing your interesting thoughts!

I was eager to know more about Brazil defeat, and it's impressive the last time they lose vs Ned was in 1966!

Indeed!

The Netherlands have been improving- but again it was a rather sub par, error prone game from Brazil. It was similar to some of the final stages of the VNL when Brazil just produced error after error and looked like they just didn't want to be there. when you contrast that with the USA first couple of matches were they were clearly not playing well. but they continued to have a mature team approach to win. Wallace was given too much respect -it was clear from the beginning that he was not very motivated (maybe the behind-the-scenes politics, or the very demanding previous match). He should have been rested or taken out early on, at least after the first set and Evandro given the opportunity to get into the match and play.

There is something about the chemistry of the Brazilian team which is just not right. All the younger outside players who come in never seem to settle and look nervous all the time. I read a lot of Brazilian forums blaming Douglas as usual, but sometimes he appears to be the one with most passion to play (even though he can look like like he is depressed at the same time lol). Yes me made reception errors as the set wore on, but he made 13 points and Lucas made 13... they needed an opposite, and other players to show up as well!

They also had a day of rest, and this was their only third match, so why they look so jaded who knows..

Much as I have always supported the team, I think this generation's attitude sometimes is not great. Interestingly, should Poland win their group, Russia stays second and Brazil are 4th, then they will meet Russia and Poland in the same pool. But there can be no sympathy for them , really - it appears they came to play just the one revenge match against France!

• I turned on USA-CMR match to watch the US benche but the starting six are all on court right now, I guess I will have to wait for the latter stages of the set/sets/match to watch the bench, i.e. Langlois and Patch.

In Russe, China are indeed the weakest team in the group. Egypt play as much as they can, that's just what they are capable of, demonstrate team spirit and deservedly closed the first two close sets. Unlike China which I am sure can do more, we all saw them do better this summer. I cannot explain the sudden regression. They will finish at the bottom of the group unless they turn this match around.

In Varna, Puerto Rico are still unable to grab a set in what seems like a home match for Finland. Puero Rico will have to try harder against Cuba.

• Any links for japan-belgium please? :flower:

• Another question about streaming, this time about FIVB's platform. Has anyone subscribed to the FIVB TV? How and where exactly? Their website seems empty, no matter if you try to subscribe or sign in.

I am considering it as an alternative to Sportdeutschland which seem to have problems with some streams (right now JPN-BEL is not present) and since Thursday only some games are available on demand.

• Another question about streaming, this time about FIVB's platform. Has anyone subscribed to the FIVB TV? How and where exactly? Their website seems empty, no matter if you try to subscribe or sign in.

I am considering it as an alternative to Sportdeutschland which seem to have problems with some streams (right now JPN-BEL is not present) and since Thursday only some games are available on demand.

https://www.volleyballworld.tv/home

• Thanks YavorD for sharing your interesting thoughts!

I was eager to know more about Brazil defeat, and it's impressive the last time they lose vs Ned was in 1966!

Excluding friendlies, IIRC, the last time the Netherlands beat Brazil was at Sydney Olympics 2000. Ned won 3:0 in the 5-place match, led by their legend, Gortzen.

• What a meltdown by Finland in these two last sets! Eventhought their amazing fan base, Finland has been playing quite poorly from the third set. It seems they understimated Puerto Rico :whistle:

Maurice Torres has been just superb..35 points in four sets :drink:

If Puerto Rico wins, the last spot for the recond round is wide open between them, Finland and Cuba.

• Excluding friendlies, IIRC, the last time the Netherlands beat Brazil was at Sydney Olympics 2000. Ned won 3:0 in the 5-place match, led by their legend, Gortzen.

The one in 1966 was the last win at a WCH which I and the FIVB were referring to. Otherwise, with all official international tournaments into account, the Netherlands beat Brazil last at the World League 2010, 3-0 away in Brazil. This must be the last time they beat Brazil, I believe.

• I think the women in the second phase have 2 pools of 8 teams, with the first 3 per pool advancing? And I think they bring from the first phase only the points against the teams that join them in the second phase...

Ps I may be wrong: I'm too lazy to check it properly, I just have this fade memory about it ;)

Just checked and you're right. While this formula (men's edition) makes sure that no teams can play to lose in the 1st phase, it doesn't seem to be a fair system. When determining ranking in the 2ndphase, points from the 1st phase would be brought forward. However, each team from one 2nd-phase pool comes from a different 1st-phase pool, meaning that teams coming out of a weak 1st-phase pool would have a higher chance to advance to the final six with the points they scored against the weak opponents in the 1st phase.