Men's World Championship 2018

• What a poor performance by Canada! They made just so many errors. Maybe over 30. I havent checked the stats yet.

Wallace just shone in this match :super: Douglas, once again, was the second top scorer. I really dont know why he received so many critics from the brazilian fans. He isnt a Giba, Dante and even, not a Lucarelli, but so far, he has been playing quite solid and has always between the top 2 scorers from Brazil.

• I wouldn't say it's a matter of a Brazilian attitude. It's no coincidence the players I talked about a couple of days ago are the same over fighting across the net. Also Lipe is a garbage human being and should be far from any sports court.

Sorry, I should have said some of Brazilian 'team' - I didn't mean to imply that its something to do with Brazilians as a whole.

I think the coach feels he is in a difficult position, because I think it might be worth replacing that team (or' those players') with the bench players, at least to get some discipline into them. The thing is these guys will play full matches, and they know it. Lipe can troll around the court as he is doing because he knows there is no-one on the bench to replace him, and he is still living off his hero status from the France match.

This attitude is not new either - I watched the team virtually give up against Serbia in the world league final in 2016 under Rezende and in Lille this year in the finals and other tournaments where they play with some kind of entitlement attitude, like they should win on their own terms. When other teams are playing better, they don't often seem prepared to put in the hard work to make it , unless of course they 'feel like it'. It's frustrating as a fan who often travels around the worked to see them play.

I have to say this year I have begun hoping they don't make it to the finals in Turin - I paid a lot of money for my tickets and travel I don't want to have to deal with their depressive attitude on court at times! You can never guarantee what mental state they show up in!

• What a poor performance by Canada! They made just so many errors. Maybe over 30. I havent checked the stats yet.

Wallace just shone in this match :super: Douglas, once again, was the second top scorer. I really dont know why he received so many critics from the brazilian fans. He isnt a Giba, Dante and even, not a Lucarelli, but so far, he has been playing quite solid and has always between the top 2 scorers from Brazil.

It's mostly homophobia. He's having a great tournament so far and I'm really glad for him.

By the way, Bruno and Lipe had a big argument on court after the second set and weren't even looking at each other for the remainder of the game. It's honestly hilarious to see how much of a mess this team is these days.

• Is Slovenia's block really good or Argentina is just bad at attack? It's taking them too many balls to get a single kill.:white:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Group B remains interesting for the implications for the next round. For France it might be a better idea to remain 4th and go to Sofia than to Varna... although they have played well against Poland generally..

For Brazil winning the group potentially puts them up potentially against Slovenia and maybe Belgium?.. the European teams are playing very well at the moment, that could be tricky as well, but being second and going to face potentially Italy, and Serbia could also be a nightmare..

World cup is surely delivering so far, makes for a very interesting second week.

Still hoping to see USA, Russ, and Italy in the finals - not sure about that 4th ticket yet... but even that's unpredictable.

• It's okay! I completely agree with you in everything. I don't necessarily know what's wrong, but this team is old, just as this attitude. It's like they don't even care to put in the effort. There are times where it's clear they seem to want to be anywhere else but on court. Lucão in particular looks dead in the eyes half the time. It'd be great to have some new blood in the team and get rid of most (if not all) the older guys, but that's just wishful thinking. It's gonna be a bloodbath against them if they make it to Turin.

• France will have to drop 3 games to play in a USA, Iran, Bulgaria pool. Is that good?

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• What a pity for Argentina! It was just amazing the come back in the last point of the third set. There were so many good rallies :super:

And it is true, Argentina attackers have to spike at least twice in order to make a point. If they arent blocked, they are defended. Cavanna just doesnt know where else to set :sos:

• France will have to drop 3 games to play in a USA, Iran, Bulgaria pool. Is that good?

LOL I wasnt suggesting they actually do that - just expressing some of the permutations and issues. My point was that I thought they had a better chance in Sofia. Of course I'm sure they wont be fearing anyone and will want to beat everyone. And of course the tighter the matches and match ups, the better for fans!

• LOL I wasnt suggesting they actually do that - just expressing some of the permutations and issues. My point was that I thought they had a better chance in Sofia. Of course I'm sure they wont be fearing anyone and will want to beat everyone. And of course the tighter the matches and match ups, the better for fans!

Yeah but the extra points secured is still very important.

Even USA is not as assured because of their dropped points from Serbia and Australia.

If i'm correct Iran will be only behind a point from USA if they win both of their final matches in the first round while taking the full points.

If France loses to Canada, they'd be behind the leaders by 4-5 points in Pool G.

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains ().

• World cup is surely delivering so far, makes for a very interesting second week.

Still hoping to see USA, Russ, and Italy in the finals - not sure about that 4th ticket yet... but even that's unpredictable.

I have the same wish lol Hoping to see USA, Russia, Italy and I think France can still book that last spot.

• I hope USA doesn't make a mess against Iran or Bulgaria. They need to play better than in the first round.

#FreeBritney

• Ofcourse! yes I'd forgotten about that too. Thanks:-)

• Great start for Argentina in the tiebreak.

#FreeBritney

• That's very unlucky for Argentina. Pajenk serve is only millimeters in.

#FreeBritney

• Useless win for Argentina as they needed 3-0 or 3-1 to avoid 4th place and a "death group" with POL, RUS and maybe FRA in next round.

MVP was Poglajen, maybe he was motivated to play the country of his ancestors? who knows.

Conte and De Cecco are now bench warmers somehow, that sad part is that it's deserved...

• Great win for Argentina, they fought back after falling behind.

They're still not out of the woods but this almost assures them a berth in the second round. Japan will need to take the full points if they want to advance instead of Argentina which only needs two sets.

#FreeBritney

• POL, RUS and maybe FRA in next round.

RUS still have to beat Serbia to be second... Now is third (one point less, if I recall well).

If I did the math well, with Argentina victory, Italy will advance as first even if they'll lose 3-0 vs Slovenia.

Of course we still need as many points as we can get (especially considering the potential pool waiting for us...).

• about CHN:

i guess the improvement the team made this year under lozano got people expecting more from this team (including beating ARG and FRA in the VNL -- although it was a B french team). i was astounded when someone wrote that they were the leading team in blocks at these WCh... from the little i saw, i thought their blocking, defense and service reception were pretty bad... when the pass is good, the middle attack is pretty efficient and of course, jiang chuan is excellent as OPP when out of system. in some ways, they are like the DOM women, a very tall team but lacking in some basic skills and prone to stupid mistakes...

one could also say CHN drew a very tough group, and had they faced teams like CMR, TUN, CUB, PUR or DOM, they might not have gone winless. OTOH, who knows, they might have lost to them too!

it's also disappointing because, unlike JPN, they do not lack in height to face the top teams (CHN women's team is one of the tallest in the world). the starting setter (mao) is 200 cm tall, and the MBs are also quite tall, and jiang chuan is 205. i guess lozano might not last long in this job. i noticed in the TOs, the players don't seem to be paying much attention to what he has to say (again, in contrast with JPN and blain, who seem to have a much better rapport).

btw, at the recent asian games, CHN B team finished 9th! even worse, KAZ (which finished 2nd at the last asian ch.) finished 17th!!!!!!