Men's World Championship 2018

• Watching 2 matches at the same time is exhausting.||

Try watching 4 at the same time, then we'll talk :D

Russia and France's level dropped since VNL, or has the other teams' simply improved?

There is something else that I want to point out. I mentioned at the tournament's start that it is common sometimes to start a bit "slower". It is a long event after all and you can't expose all your weapons and strength at the very beginning. That being said, I think France's level in general dropped a bit after 2017. They did fine at the VNL this year, but didn't have to travel much at all and suffered a heavy defeat in the final against Russia, probably the heaviest defeat they have suffered in a long while. Also, even during the greatest wins of 2015 and 2017, they played with an almost non-rotated, very well brought-together squad. Now they suffered some injuries, a normal drop of form, and opponents finding ways to beat them at times. So yes, it is normal for them not to be really dominating like they used to be in the past 2-3 seasons. However, they are very much alive and still have chances in this tournament, the real question is, obviously, whether Ngapeth and Boyer will endure the load.

I didn't watch SRB-RUS and I can't say anything about the match or how both teams played. I am 100% sure Serbia did everything possible to beat Russia, a team they have often prevailed against, and gather points for the next round. I can't really say the same about Russia. Once again, this is just my opinion. I would also fancy the prospect of facing the Netherlands and Finland, and even the hosts Italy, the latter they can surely beat. I can't say Russia's level dropped since the VNL, what changed is that the starting setter is now gone, which might play a minor role (minor because they still have Butko) and that there's a 2-month gap between the two tournaments. I am sure we should see the real Russian team, the one from the VNL, in the final round. I get the feeling they didn't really need to win vs. Serbia 100%. How would you explain Grankin's appearance otherwise? 2 sets against Serbia did them just fine :) Sure, they didn't mean to lose against USA, but they might get a rematch soon.

Exactly my thoughts! 3 wins for Russia and they will be through. I won't make a fuss about their defeat to Serbia.

-----

Vital Heynen might not be the most likeable person or coach in the world, even from a neutral persepective, but one can't help but appreciate his values as a coach. All his teams, and I really mean all I have watched in recent years, club and NT, are known for great game organization, transition, tactical preparation, and then eventually overall performance. He can't always win, of course, but he manages to get pretty close even with some unbalanced or limited teams/players. Honestly, I haven't been impressed with the Polish team since 2014, but it is a joy to watch them now. I am not saying they will become World champions or they will now humiliate Serbia and France, Iran and Bulgaria didn't quite match their level in the first round, to be fair, but you can recognize Heynen's signature and their overall improvement when you watch them. They can make a small mistake in Pool H and still qualify, I am eager to find out how far they can go. And especially what Heynen will prepare against France.

Take even Kurek's rejuvenation, if I may. To me, an overall overestimated player, Kurek seems different and fits Heynen's team well. He probably will be one of the reasons they won't become World champions, but at least he seems back to volleyball life and doesn't make stupid mistakes. For which we should again give credit to Heynen.

• There is something else that I want to point out. I mentioned at the tournament's start that it is common sometimes to start a bit "slower". It is a long event after all and you can't expose all your weapons and strength at the very beginning.

That's true in general and still might be this year, but – because of the formula – starting slow in this WCh can cost a lot (unlike in the OG, for example, where you can change everything in the quarterfinal).

I mean, you can still managed to correct your mistakes, but it's a dangerous game ;)

Still, I agree with you that Russia has very good chances to get to Turin, even with a loss (which I obviously hope will happen vs Italy :P)

Anyway, I read on Dal15al25 that apparently they changed the rule: the best 2 second in general will go to Turin, not the best second "Italian" and the best second "Bulgarian".

• What a coincidence, it's the same reason we don't exactly like him in Italy :P

Cannot blame you. :lol:

I am actually excited for the second leg of the tournament. There are lots of games which could be played as small finals due to their importance, most importantly Italy v. Russia and the duels between Poland, France and Serbia, which are arguably the most interesting. I believe the second best teams might come from both these groups, but depending on the results from pool H, Iran might have a fairly good chance too if they beat everyone but the USA at least.

• Anyway, I read on Dal15al25 that apparently they changed the rule: the best 2 second in general will go to Turin, not the best second "Italian" and the best second "Bulgarian".

Yes so this means for Russia they have to win all their games and wait for the result of other teams in order to qualify but to be honest I think they have a slim chance of qualifying and in particular the match with Italy is nowhere an easy win if at all.

• Someone thinks that only in Italy we knew the other rule (best "italian/bulgarian" second), while FIVB always said the same and it wasn't changed, what do you say about it?

@incognito

I didn't do the math myself, but it seems that as 'better italian second' Italy only needed to win vs Finland to go to Turin, while now it's not (unless lucky results in others pools).

• this format is so stupid. teams that already played each other end up in same group and will play each other again? so strange.

So true, I really wonder what the FIVB is doing sometimes. The "6 team finals" is also ridiculous

• Finally round 2 starts today :super:So many good matches and I don't know how I will watch all of the games I want to watch. Two wins should 100% qualify us for the final 6 too, but I think if we lose today against Argentina, it will be hard to bouce back against France and Serbia.

And maybe Polish (Polsat TV) commentators will finally stop complaining about everything, too :wall:Because this year I am seriously tired of their attitude. Evertything about this tournament sucks to them... the level is awful (Apparently, we should keep some teams from participating in the qualifications), the refereeing is abysmall, the competition system is stupid (Although it's basically the same system used in 2014 World Championship, with some small alterations), the schedule is dumb...basically they think volleyball would be better if there would be 12-16 teams participating in the World Championships, and obviously hosted by Poland, because some gut from the FIVB said after the previous WC told them that "all future events should be hosted with such a grace as in poland"

Well, but that's generally a problem with our experts in volleyball...year after year Polish fans hear that "this sport is dying and needs drastic reforms", and said reforms usually involve replacing most of the people in CEV or FIVB with people from "more appropiate countries (read: Poland)" ,Somehow I never got the answer when I asked why do more teams like Canada, Slovenia, Germany or Iran keep showing up lately, if the level of the sport is so awful worldwide and why (not counting Football, as it's obvious) did Volleyball become the 2nd biggest team sport after basketball in the planet,according to data from Google Trends.
    (link for the interested: https://trends.google.pl/trend…%2Fm%2F0crlz,%2Fm%2F03tmr )

• USA is serving well.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Maar replaces Hoag. It should've been done 10 pts ago.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Nothing is going right for Canada.

#FreeBritney

• What happened with Canada? After the match against the Netherlands, they have been playing quite poorly.

What happened with Bann? He played an outstanding VNL. I know TJ abscence is a big loss for them, but also the OHs are underperfoming.

As expected, Serbia cant find a way to compete againts France quick play. However, France would need more from Ngapeth if they want to close this match quickly. So fa, he has been quite.

• USA helping Canada to score with their service faults.

#FreeBritney

• Oh france, what at terrible way to throw a set away......

Not the first time i see serbia winning a set like this in this tournament. Of course, luck is involved, but they play till the end, knowing they can turn things around, even when they don't play perfect volleyball.

• Any livestream for russia-netherlands?