Men's World Championship 2018

• The primary objective of FIVB is monetization, not the overall quality of the tournament. Volleyball is not a sport attracting widespread attention worldwide, so they need to attract as many audience as possible. The easiest way to guarantee success in this department is to get the host nation alive till the final part of the tournament. A knockout stage starting with QF makes the best sense for a tournament with 24 teams, but the uncertainty in determining the fate of the host nation in one game makes this an unfavorable format from the organizer's perspective. A round robin system in the 2nd and even 3rd phase would allow for the host nation to continue to take advantage of: (i) the victories they collected in previous phases when facing the weaker opponents; (ii) a manipulated draw of lots in pool distribution.

Money, money and just money. That's why we have THREE world championships held in Japan in 20 years, all of them played in empty halls, save for the Japan matches. But no, we need to play tournaments in Georgia, Azerbaijan, Japan and here are the results.

Funny thing is that Italy would have had far better success with a real formula of quarterfinals, like when now with the men and back 4 years ago when the women beated the gold medallists USA 3:0 in another useless third phase.

• http://www.volleywood.net/voll…to-denies-any-wrongdoing/

"In the last points, taken by a huge surge of adrenaline, at the height of the tension of the final stretch of the game, I ended up releasing a ball, unintentionally, that went towards the court"

Which leads us to the question...if it was the adrenaline that made the ball go out of his hands, what substance made the ball get into his hands in first place? :roll:

Lol, worse excuse ever.

I really hope Brasil will lose badly at the semis because of this stupid guy

• Does anyone know who saw and denounced Renan/how the suspect about his action was born? (during the Italian comments they just thought a ball slipped away, it seemed an accident)

I just read that a boy (I guess the one that clean the balls in that corner) was initially accused of it, but I didn't understand by who (his 'superior', Renan, the players...?)

• I think Anzani could be a really dangerous weapon of this Italian team, but Gianelli doesn’t use his middles a lot.

About Lanza: he’s just not for that level of volleyball.

• Poland is off to a good start. And Italy is making all sorts of errors

• is Lanza still injured? Why does Blengini keeps starting with him?

I think that he has already shown he is the weakest link in the team. Giannelli is off too. I cant blame him, it is a very important match.

• Lanza won't even make it in NCAA Division 2. :gone:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Semi-final

Poland-USA

Serbia-Brazil

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Semi-final

Poland-USA

Serbia-Brazil

it is already defined? Poland cant surpass Serbia even if they defeat Italy 3-0 tonight?

• So the VNL finalists Russia and France + the hosts Italy never reached the Semifinals. If we were all told earlier we would not believe them but look where we are now :wavy: