Serbian NT 2015

• They are on more or less the same level if we count their peaks. Mihajlović more powerful and decisive in attack, Nikolić better in reception.
    But even on her best Nikolić would have an attrocious match right out of blue to the point of negating the entire team effort. Mihajlović can be bad, but not so much that she makes you pull out your hair out of despair.
    Not to mention that Jelena was probably the only player ever to make Terzić completely lose his cool. I'll never forget a game against Korea at WCh '06, he insisted on hard spikes and there she goes with a half-assed tip that even lands out. He called for a time-out immediately and screamed at her while literally shaking with fury. It was priceless. :D

• I agree that it's really hard to compare, because the level of volleyball was higher back then. USA had really strong team in the past and still could barely win some medal. And what did China play in 2003 or 2004 or Cuba, well Italy won WC in 2007 and now 9 years later tehy play almost same roster... lol.

Nikolic is certainly better passer, but maybe a little weaker in attack.

• I agree that it's really hard to compare, because the level of volleyball was higher back then. USA had really strong team in the past and still could barely win some medal. And what did China play in 2003 or 2004 or Cuba, well Italy won WC in 2007 and now 9 years later tehy play almost same roster... lol.

Nikolic is certainly better passer, but maybe a little weaker in attack.

Italy's delayed generation change makes me crazy. They have the best individual players at youth level between 1990-1998 generations but still they couldn't manage to adapt young players in starting six (maybe Chirichella) and still hope for help from old ladies :down:

• Italy's delayed generation change makes me crazy. They have the best individual players at youth level between 1990-1998 generations but still they couldn't manage to adapt young players in starting six (maybe Chirichella) and still hope for help from old ladies :down:

Welcome to the club. FIPAV is a joke. Better to call naturalized players. Who needs gold medalists from 2011 JWCH or 2015 YWCH? There is Costagrande. :lol:

You should know, some players won't give up their position into NT. I can already see some of them at the age of 90 on a wheelchair still willing to play. :aww:
    They don't hope for help from old ladies. Old ladies want to be there, no matter what.

Someone needs a walk of shame, like Cersei Lannister. :rolll:

• The same thing is with Polish team, we won U19 ECH in 2013 and only Smarzek played in senior NT and they are 21 already. No Damaske, Nowakowska, Szczygielska, Grzelak or so. Ofc the reason is they did not Play in their clubs...

• The same thing is with Polish team, we won U19 ECH in 2013 and only Smarzek played in senior NT and they are 21 already. No Damaske, Nowakowska, Szczygielska, Grzelak or so. Ofc the reason is they did not Play in their clubs...

Indeed Polish situation is different than Italian one. The generation which won U18 ECh in 2013 did not show any further success afterwards. They couldn't even manage to participate U19 ECh in 2014. Serbia and Turkey improved more in that generation. Apparently the only good prospect was only Smarzek among that group. :whistle:

• Italy's delayed generation change makes me crazy. They have the best individual players at youth level between 1990-1998 generations but still they couldn't manage to adapt young players in starting six (maybe Chirichella) and still hope for help from old ladies :down:

I partly agree with you, partly not. It is true that for many years young players were hardly introduced in the team (I remember Sirressi, Barcellini but just for some tournaments). The only young players Barbolini used in a stable way were the Bosetti sisters. Then I think with Mencarelli and Bonitta (although he called back the old ladies) the generation change is more visible. Look at the roster in WGP: Malinov, Orro, Egonu, Chirichella, Diouf, Sylla...

On the other hand I still think Del Core, Picci and Lo Bianco can still play on high level, as they all had very good seasons this year.

So yes the generation change may be delayed but recently Bonitta and the staff are improving from this point of view (considering also the good work done with Club Italia).

Indeed Polish situation is different than Italian one. The generation which won U18 ECh in 2013 did not show any further success afterwards. They couldn't even manage to participate U19 ECh in 2014. Serbia and Turkey improved more in that generation. Apparently the only good prospect was only Smarzek among that group. :whistle:

They couldn't, however
    1. they just lost 1 match in qualies
    2. they played without Damaske who kept the reception back then
    However maybe this year the girls who are 20 now (I wrote 21 before, yep) may have some success in OL or NT B... Smarzek has her place secured, Wójcik also, Damaske is 4th receiver in Sopot (who played only 1 match and she was MVP... so no comment), Łyszkiewicz will also play. Bałdyga and Nowakowska in Bydgoszcz will also play. So, let's hope they will succeed.

• Terzić confirmed that the same team will play at the ECh, with maybe one or two changes.
    I definitely would not take Nikolić, let the woman spend some time with her son, for God's sake, she's been away all summer. Plus she's already been the European champion, her presence is not absolutely necessary, let other players show what they're made of, this is a good opportunity.
    I'd also give Rašić a timeout, she's played non-stop on NT for the last 5 years. Let Veljković be in charge for once.

• Terzić confirmed that the same team will play at the ECh, with maybe one or two changes.
    I definitely would not take Nikolić, let the woman spend some time with her son, for God's sake, she's been away all summer. Plus she's already been the European champion, her presence is not absolutely necessary, let other players show what they're made of, this is a good opportunity.
    I'd also give Rašić a timeout, she's played non-stop on NT for the last 5 years. Let Veljković be in charge for once.

I agree, serbian team achieved a great result in WC so it would be time for Nikolic to rest. At least if I were her I'd prefer to pass some time with my son as you said. If the rest of the team doesn't change, the quality would be high enough as Malesevic proved she can do nice things.

• I agree, although I really like Stefana. She definitely hates slides. Rasic can be tried as slider and we all saw how strong she is when playing in front of her setter, so it's not really necessary.

Joana, any reason why Savic was cut and Mina Popovic travelled with the team? No big level difference between those two tho.

IMO Serbia's only weakness could be libero, Silvija Popovic didn't play well at the WC.

• I think I already asked that before, but I dont remember..hehehe

Is Bjelica sister of basketball player Nemanja Bjelica? Or is another basketball player? hehehe

• I was rewatching SRB vs RUS and I noticed a funny little situation. Here you can see Brankica telling Terzić "I'm going to block her now. I don't know how, but I am". And then look what happens next. :D Granted, it was Milena who got the kill block, but Brankica certainly contributed.

BTW, she admitted than she got carried away thinking about her #1 ranking among the outside hitters during the last match against Argentina and that it made her lose her focus and play poorly in that match. Hopefully it's a lesson well learned.

• No, they're not related.
    However, she's a sister of basketball players Milko and Milka Bjelica. Curiosly, they're members of Montenegrin national teams.

Why are they playing for Montenegrin NT? :)

• Milko Bjelica probably wouldn't have a place on Serbian NT. Milka definitely would, but I don't know what her motives were.
    In the end of the day it's not that strange. Serbia and Montenegro are extremely close historically, culturally and in every other way. There are more people of Montenegrin origin in Serbia than in Montenegro itself, often it's impossible to draw a line between the two. Plenty of athletes born in Montenegro (like Silvija Popović, for example) represent Serbia and vice versa.
    It's a bit funny when a family is "divided" that way, but hey. :lol: