Bulgarian NT 2015

• So, let's open a new thread for the Bulgarian NT. The wide roster for the World League has been released. I will post it also here even if you can find it in other sections, too.

Setters

Andrey Zhekov (Tomis Constanta, Romania)
    Georgi Bratoev (Montana)
    Georgi Manchev (Dobrudzha 07)
    Georgi Seganov (CSKA)
    Lyubomir Agontsev (Montana)

Outside attackers

Todor Aleksiev (Gazprom-Ugra Surgut, Russia)
    Valentin Bratoev (Ajaccio, France)
    Miroslav Gradinarov (Toulouse, France)
    Nikolay Penchev (Asseco Resovia Rzeszow, Poland)
    Todor Skrimov (TopVolley Latina, Italy)
    Stanislav Petkov (Tomis Constanta, Romania)

Opposites

Tsvetan Sokolov (Halkbank Ankara, Turkey)
    Vladimir Nikolov (ASUL Lyon, France)
    Danail Milushev (FC Tokyo, Japan)
    Venelin Kadankov (Torul Genclik, Turkey, 2nd division)

Middle blockers

Viktor Yosifov (Guberniya Nizhny Novgorod, Russia)
    Nikolay Nikolov (Urmia, Iran)
    Teodor Todorov (Gazprom-Ugra Surgut, Russia)
    Svetoslav Gotsev (Vero Volley Monza, Italy)
    Krasimir Georgiev (CSKA)
    Borislav Apostolov (Marek Union-Ivkoni)
    Martin Paliyski (Pirin Razlog)

Liberos

Teodor Salparov (Zenit Kazan, Russia)
    Vladislav Ivanov (ASUL Lyon, France)
    Martin Bozhilov (Marek Union-Ivkoni)

• I would also like to see the whole group of players Plamen Konstantinov is going to call up. Recently he mentioned that, given the change of ranking points, he will give the WL a higher priority than the European Games in Baku. It had been stated otherwise a month ago. Obviously, FIVB have changed the validity of points for these two tournaments and it turned out the points gathered at the Games won't matter as much as these in the WL. Bulgaria will host the finals in second division, meaning that we will have an experimental group travelling around the world (Canada, Argentina, Cuba) before the important Final Four in Sofia, and Konstantinov plans to earn back our lost first-level WL spot.

To participate in all those tournaments, the NT will need probably 3 groups of players, this is why I am still waiting for his decision regarding the absolute full roster.

About the WL picks. He did mention that there had been 1 refusal other than Matey Kaziyski's. He didn't say who that was. We will not see Nikolay Uchikov (UPCN, Argentina) and Boyan Yordanov (Olympiacos Piraeus, Greece) in the NT. The latter has been recovering from an injury, whereas Uchikov's case has been widely discussed here. Pity, because with all these tournaments this year and all these chances for a B or even C national teams Yordanov and Uchikov would've made a difference. Besides, Boyan is already playing for Olympiacos, I see no reason why he won't play in, let's say, two months' time. I still think there is something hidden and unsaid in this story. Also, Dobromir Dimitrov is missing, I don't know why, but it was about time that happened.

There is no need to comment on Kadankov's call-up, he has no business in the NT. I would also question Seganov's place there. We are also probably the team with the smallest number of opposites, which is apparent thanks to the absence of the above two. Konstantinov will again use Sokolov relentlessly all summer long. Two major surprises. Two newcomers - Montana's setter Lyubomir Agontsev and Pirin's young MB Martin Paliyski. I appreciate that a new setter would get some serious training over the summer. The rest of the names are familiar to all, we don't have alternatives or some sparkling new heroes.

As for me, I would certainly love to see the following players in the wide roster. Perhaps they could gain some play time in Baku, could've been used in the WL as well, and even during the European League, as Konstantinov had planned in January. Of course, we won't take part in the EL. So, the names, in my opinion, are: Rozalin Penchev (OH), Zlatan Yordanov (OH), Stefan Ivanov (OH, U19 NT), Radoslav Parapunov (OPP, U19 NT), Ivan Stanev (S), Chono Penchev (S), Ventsislav Ragin (MB), Iliya Petkov (MB), Velizar Chernokozhev (OPP), Simeon Aleksandrov (OH), Alexander Simeonov (OH), maybe even Mincho Minchev (OPP), Trifon Lapkov (OH) and Yavor Genov (OH). Most of these guys are young and a month or two of practice will do them good. It would be also beneficial for the NT once the saga with the Macedonian-born setter Gjorgi Gjorgiev has been resolved, so that he can gain some more confidence with our NT.

• I'm surprised there is no Dobri Dimitrov. If you'll know something about why he is not there, let us know too, Yavor. This is wide roster so I'm pretty much disappointed Plamen didn't call Rozalin... Though on the other hand I have no idea how this Petkov is doing. About Yordanov the case is quite misterious, I can't really remember when was the last time I saw him in NT jersey, really. There is always something, if not an injury then he's resting and stuff... So I rather doesn't have any hope in his case. What about Metodi Ananiev? How is he doing? He disappeared somewhere. I mean I know he plays in Iranian league but I have no more info about him.

• I'm surprised there is no Dobri Dimitrov. If you'll know something about why he is not there, let us know too, Yavor. This is wide roster so I'm pretty much disappointed Plamen didn't call Rozalin... Though on the other hand I have no idea how this Petkov is doing. About Yordanov the case is quite misterious, I can't really remember when was the last time I saw him in NT jersey, really. There is always something, if not an injury then he's resting and stuff... So I rather doesn't have any hope in his case. What about Metodi Ananiev? How is he doing? He disappeared somewhere. I mean I know he plays in Iranian league but I have no more info about him.

I don't have a straight answer as to why he is not in the list. There has been no official information regarding Dobri this year. All we know is he chose to play for a club in Bucharest, but as of then there has been no update. We don't even know whether he has competed there at all. He is probably not in a good shape, Konstantinov must've been informed about that. However, there is something else, this is why I said it was about time that happened. I am not specifically a big fan of his setting skills. He is a very modest and likeable guy, this is why I enjoyed watching him in the NT, even as a back-up. But truth be told, he has shown little to no progress since he earned that NT spot. He was good for the Bulgarian championship, a move abroad was quite logical, but I guess he didn't find the right team. The Romanian League is a bit better than the Bulgarian, but he could've been selected elsewhere, or at least in a more competitive club. His professional development wasn't an easy process either. He started as an attacker, had a good size even as a youngster and it took him quite some time to become a setter. The problem is I never really saw him as a bright setter and only on few occasions could he persuade me he deserves to keep his NT spot. Last, with Zhekov and Bratoev in the group I think it's high time we closed the drama, they should be the two choices.

I don't have information about Ananiev either. Likewise, no media updates about where he is and how he is doing. A player with potential who has health problems that prevented pretty much most of his career.

• Ananiev was in Turkey, in Palandoken but he left Turkish team on 15.11. Where did he go I've no idea.

Regarding Petkov he was one of the best Tomis players in CL, 2nd scorer behind Simeonov. I expected him in NT, his performances were really good both in CL and Romanian league. Due financial problems in Tomis (again) players haven't been played for 4 months Simeonov and Petkov left Romanian team a week ago.

• Ananiev was in Turkey, in Palandoken but he left Turkish team on 15.11. Where did he go I've no idea.

Regarding Petkov he was one of the best Tomis players in CL, 2nd scorer behind Simeonov. I expected him in NT, his performances were really good both in CL and Romanian league. Due financial problems in Tomis (again) players haven't been played for 4 months Simeonov and Petkov left Romanian team a week ago.

Ananiev then joined a team in Iraq called South Gaz (or maybe Gas, I don't know).

In other news, Nikolay Zhelyazkov, the current head coach of Neftochimik 2010 Burgas and the one to lead the Bulgarian juniors to silver medals at the Euro in Belarus 3-4 years ago, has been named head coach of the team that will participate in Baku at the European Games. He is surely not the best choice for the position and I hope he won't choose the squad himself, rather with Konstantinov or only by Konstantinov, but we can live with his assignment.

• Guys, what happened to Tsetso Sokolov? I can see Bulgarian media screaming "injury" and "out of game until January" but my time is dramatically limited by duties and can't translate everything from bulgarian.

• Guys, what happened to Tsetso Sokolov? I can see Bulgarian media screaming "injury" and "out of game until January" but my time is dramatically limited by duties and can't translate everything from bulgarian.

Well, this is pretty much a translated short story of everything that came up in Bulgarian sports media today. It's all we know as well. There is nothing 100% definite. Konstantinov wanted to wait for the diagnosis of the Italian physicians. Both of them seem to have agreed that a should surgery is necessary. Whether Sokolov will undergo one, whether he will wait or consult yet another physician is uncertain. Yes, this is bad news for sure, but as much as I wanted this next clause not to be true, Bulgaria cannot rely on a single player. Which is actually valid for all top teams without exception. Vladimir Nikolov, who had an excellent season in France, should be fit for the World League finals and the ECH. Journalists asked Konstantinov about Nikolay Uchikov. Obviously his absence has nothing to do with the head coach (meaning a probable suspension by our lovely federation members).

• Thanks, guys!

Ofc, you have a point, Yavor. Bulgaria can't rely on just one player. Honestly, Sokolov's situation, considering the expactations toward him, reminds me Kurek's situation in our team few years ago - can understand why sports media are in panic. Yeah, maybe Nikolov can pull this of, maybe the team generally will do just fine without Tsetso, but one is sure - the team will miss something. Like taking off an important element from a collective. Won't collapse but won't be the same as before. Pity. I will cheer for Tsetso to come back to volleyball asap if he decides now to undergo the surgery. Still I will be waiting for the first match of Bulgarians but simply will miss him there.

Anyways, some video with Nikolov "wanting Kaziyski back in team" passed before my eyes today, didn't watch this and can't really remember where the hell was it...

• Shiiiiiiiiit! And I forgot that in addition Bulgaria is actually the host this year! Don't know really on which planet do I exist :huh: Now I feel even more hopelessly about it

• The Bulgarian team for the European Games:

Setters: Georgi Bratoev, Dobromir Dimitrov
    Opposites: Velizar Chernokozhev, Zhani Zhelyazkov
    Outside attackers: Todor Aleksiev, Valentin Bratoev, Rozalin Penchev, Branimir Grozdanov
    Middle blockers: Svetoslav Gotsev, Nikolay Nikolov, Ventsislav Ragin, Borislav Apostolov
    Liberos: Martin Bozhilov, Petar Karakashev

The presence of Zhani Zhelyazkov, Nikolay Zhelyazkov's son in the roster, says pretty much all. Nikolay Zhelyazkov will be the head coach in Baku, whereas Plamen Konstantinov will lead the A NT in the World League Group 2 finals in Varna. Which means the following players should be available for the World League's decisive tournament:

Setters: Andrey Zhekov, Georgi Manchev
    Opposites: Vladimir Nikolov, Venelin Kadankov, Danail Milushev
    Outside attackers: Nikolay Penchev, Todor Skrimov, Miroslav Gradinarov, Stanislav Petkov
    Middle blockers: Teodor Todorov, Viktor Yosifov, Krasimir Georgiev
    Liberos: Teodor Salparov, Vladislav Ivanov

• The federation split the NT into two pretty even squad. Are the European Games and the WL Group 2 Finals going to take place in the same week?

• The federation split the NT into two pretty even squad. Are the European Games and the WL Group 2 Finals going to take place in the same week?

Actually no. The European Games finish at the very end of June, whereas the World League Group 2 finals will take place on the weekend of 11-12 July. There is theoretically enough time for the EG squad to join the A team, but I guess they will have a totally different game plan preparation, so maybe changes will occur only in case of injuries.

• This squad is good, in fact really good, and IMO Bulgaria is one of the favs for gold along Germany..

• I wouldn't underestimate Russia's B team.

This squad could form a decent starting six, but Milushev has to step up. His performance in the past two years has been disappointing. Hopefully, with a chance to become a starting player with the possible absence of Sokolov, he could reach closer to his prime.

• I seem to be the only one noticing Aleksiev is in the team for the European games, which makes it almost certain Bulgaria will play without him in the WL and that makes me ecstatic. Finally a coach grows some and decides it's time younger guys to show what they're capable of as starters.

And it's evident the Bratoev twins were indeed troublesome, seeing as they're also in the European games list, especially given the Konstantinov said the WL will be a priority