2016 FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix

• russian middles are invisible today

Which is entirely Pankova's fault, she should set them a lot more. But Russia is doing a great job in block :!:

Bonitta to Malinov in time-out: "Watch out, Kosheleva and the setter will change positions in block". So it happens, and what does Malinov do? Set Sylla in front of Kosheleva when Diouf would be facing Pankova :aww:
    But then, I guess even a triple block of Kosheleva-Zaryazhko-Goncharova wouldn't stop Sylla at the moment :super:

• I'm so mad about this final till now. Such a big chance dropped... Wołosz should be our leader but she was today catastrophic... I can stand her attitude on the court, how she couldn't precise pass from 2nd meter (she did 2nd to damn 5th...) lack of middles and... She is the one to blame, but unfortunately has positon like Travica had...

• The refferee finally call the "screening" violation fro the Russian after Giudetti complained about it. Interesting.

• It is so easy to spike when you have Ilchenko in front of you. She has so tiny arms and she gathered her arms instead of spreading them when she is blocking.

Many Russian players block like that, and overall with a good success. It avoids the ball going through the arms because that is death for defense. Ilchenko's problem is that many times she isn't straight in the air but reaching sideways which opens the door for the hitter.

• Which is entirely Pankova's fault, she should set them a lot more. But Russia is doing a great job in block :!:

Bonitta to Malinov in time-out: "Watch out, Kosheleva and the setter will change positions in block". So it happens, and what does Malinov do? Set Sylla in front of Kosheleva when Diouf would be facing Pankova :aww:
    But then, I guess even a triple block of Kosheleva-Zaryazhko-Goncharova wouldn't stop Sylla at the moment :super:

as if pankova were setting to her middles more before now she prefers to play in a easy way..one to goncha one to kosha

byw...kosheleva is coming back little by little

• Goncharova and Kosheleva with 24 and 23 pts, each over 50% in attack. Russia may not play the most attractive volleyball, but they're very efficient and they do what they need to do to win matches. That's why I would never count them out of the contenders for a medal in OG.

• Goncharova and Kosheleva with 24 and 23 pts, each over 50% in attack. Russia may not play the most attractive volleyball, but they're very efficient and they do what they need to do to win matches. That's why I would never count them out of the contenders for a medal in OG.

Agreed. You gotta do what you gotta do to win. These 2 are undebiable scoring machine. If I were the setter, I'll set the ball to the hot hands as much as I could to win.

The only problem is when you face a brilliant tactical team that will take you out of your system like Serbia and Brazil did towards Zhu Ting. If one of these hitters (Goncha or Koshe) is dysfunctional, the other one will carry a heavy load. I believe only Kim Yeonkyung can do that.

• Agreed. You gotta do what you gotta do to win. These 2 are undebiable scoring machine. If I were the setter, I'll set the ball to the hot hands as much as I could to win.

The only problem is when you face a brilliant tactical team that will take you out of your system like Serbia and Brazil did towards Zhu Ting. If one of these hitters (Goncha or Koshe) is dysfunctional, the other one will carry a heavy load. I believe only Kim Yeonkyung can do that.

We saw it that KYK can't do that in final round Turskih league and CL. They stop her.

• Going into the last weekend (plus final matches from USA tonight and Italy-Thailand tomorrow)

Team, Record, Points, Max Record, Max Points
    1. China 6-0, 17 pts, 9-0, 26 pts
    2. Russia 6-0, 16 pts, 9-0, 25 pts
    3. Brazil 4-2, 13 pts, 7-2, 22 pts
    4. USA 4-1, 12 pts, 8-1, 24 pts
    5. Netherlands 4-2, 12 pts, 7-2, 21 pts
    6. Turkey 3-2, 9 pts, 7-2, 21 pts
    7. Italy 2-3, 6 pts, 6-3, 18 pts
    8. Serbia 2-4, 5 pts, 5-4, 14 pts
    9. Japan 1-4, 5 pts, 5-4, 17 pts
    10. Thailand 1-4, 3 pts, 5-4, 15 pts (Hosting GP Finals)
    11. Belgium 0-6, 1 pt, 3-6, 10 pts
    12. Germany 0-5, 0 pts, 4-5, 12 pts

1. China with two wins would clinch a spot in the Finals, 8 wins and too many teams at 7
    2. Russia also with two wins would clinch a spot in the Finals, 8 wins
    3. If Brazil gets to 7 wins, they will have beaten Turkey (could only get to 6 wins) and would clinch a spot in the Finals
    4. USA would clinch a spot by winning all of their remaining matches, 8 wins. More than likely worst finish at 7-2 (losing to China again)
    5. Netherlands will need to win two matches just to have a chance, but playing China and USA in final weekend, they'll need some help
    6. Turkey playing the USA tonight and if they lose they will be at 3-3 and probably behind Italy on sets ratio, must beat Belgium and Italy, but I don't think that they'll beat Brazil, so 5-4 could get them in
    7. Italy should beat Thailand tomorrow and get to 3-3, they will need to beat Turkey and Belgium to get to 5 wins, but can they beat Brazil for their 6th win, which would get them to the Finals?
    8. Serbia must beat Japan and Thailand, but then also Russia too? I think that they get to 4-5, leaves them out
    9. Japan needs to win out, but with Serbia and Russia in front of them, 3 wins is as high as they can go.
    10. Thailand is hosting the Finals, so no analysis needed
    11. Belgium is dead
    12. Germany will be dead with one more loss

• What is Marichev trying to do with Ilchenko? She is young talented and her mother is one of the famous volleyball stars in Russia.
    Does he want to adapt her into the NT? Has she realistic chances to play in Rio?
    What is there behind his mind, leaving Scherban at home and taking Ilchenko to Italy?

I like her but she has to improve a lot, her passing is different than others, she receives the ball low and high very high instead of fast and not that high.. same when she digs, everytime it is a very high ball.
    Russias new future star?

• OMG poor Alessia
    Wish her could recover for Olympic game

• What is Marichev trying to do with Ilchenko? She is young talented and her mother is one of the famous volleyball stars in Russia.
    Does he want to adapt her into the NT? Has she realistic chances to play in Rio?
    What is there behind his mind, leaving Scherban at home and taking Ilchenko to Italy?

I like her but she has to improve a lot, her passing is different than others, she receives the ball low and high very high instead of fast and not that high.. same when she digs, everytime it is a very high ball.
    Russias new future star?

Maybe he's testing her for their 2 woman receiving system and/or improve her skills. With the current available OH (except Shcherban and Kosheleva) that Russia has, she has better chances in going to Rio.

Scherban travelled with them to Italy. She just wasn't included in the line up. She's there wearing the staff's uniform. And Marichev also said in an interview that he would be resting her in Italy.

• about the language issue in belgium, this article says that football players in the men's NT do not speak each others' language, which surprised me a lot:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11…nite-on-soccer-field.html

also, i remember watching some matches of the SUI women's team, and their coach speaks 90% in german but once in a while, he spoke to a player in french.

of course, the worst linguistic offender is vercesi, nobody knows what language he's speaking to his players...

btw, isn't serbian written in cyrillic? i thought it was odd that shirtnames in the SER team have diacritics (like in djerisilo, which is spelled derisilo with a diacritcal on the d).

Yes these two main scorers are a reliable weapon and together with the world-leading blocking performance this Russian team is a major threat for every opponent.

• Orro must recover from her sprained ankle.

i cant imagine the result of italian team in olympic games playing with Malinov and Cambi.

Will Bonitta invite Ferretti, Rondon, Signorile or even Lo Bianco?