2016 FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix

• Nursevil is the 2nd setter from Galatasaray, Ezgi is the 2nd setter from Fenerbahce.

Epic fail from Ezgi there :aww:

And none of them played regularly during the season. I think Nursevil never started in starting six, except when she played as OPP against Eczacibasi.

SYDNEY, I think you were talking about Gamze. Ferhat seems to have a personal problem with her, some claimed he kicked her out off a training once and since then never invited back. Naz seems to refuse to play in such a team, same for Eda.

Lets hope Ferhat gets (finally) fired after this. It will be good for both Turkey and volleyball fans who likes to watch volleyball, not him :lol:

• People in this forum are so racist. It is really awful that we are talking about worldwide sports and there is so much racism and haterism against especially South American nations. I would invite everyone to come to Brazil and meet us, and meet the girls. But well, you don't want to be with such bad people, right?
    This is so sad and pathetic.

Not so fast: there is such a thing as the Corruption Perception Index of the famous NGO Transparency International. And regarding continents, it shows some sad truths: all African countries are nearly totally corrupt, as most latin American countries are too (the only exceptions are Chile and Uruguay, which are nearly as good as Germany for example in corruption prevention). And also in Europe there are really largely corrupt countries like Greece, Romania, Russia,...

And it is known, that corruption and doping are somewhat related and there is also a correlation to ethics in general. To make it rather clear: the poor state in Brazil for example with a lot of corruption is generally nothing, which increases ethical behavior in sports. But this has nothing to do with the humans living there or from where they come, but with the society and it's major income sources. For example, countries with much oil or other valuable resources tend to be much more corrupt than others, despite there are also exceptions (for example Norway). And because you are from Brazil, you should know well about your countries huge corruption problem.

• Turkish girls must play in Turkish top clubs (Fenerbahche, Galatasaray, Eczacibashi and Fenerbahche). They always sit on bench and they cant improve their games. I think it is big mistake, turkish girls can play high level game because there are a lot of strong foreigner players and strong league. Unfortunately Turkish clubs always think about play in Final Four. And for it, they dont let play turkish girls in main team, mostly they follow game from bench. If they think about national team, they must let turkish girls play in main team and keep them on court. I am sure they will improve their game as possible as they can

• [Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd67dPgkK44
    Between 49:30-49:40, I think she says: Nursevil, fu+k you. That is a terrible swear in Turkish though :wall:

Same link, starting at 19:40, Sheilla's challenge embarassment.

Turkey hits out, but 2nd referee calls net touch and 1st referee doesn't signal anything else. Sheilla wildly signals that she never in her whole life touched any net, so Brazil challenges (no) net touch as the big screen tells. It takes a while, and then they show it from an angle that usually is there to show block touches, but even there it is absolutely obvious that Sheilla's left arm is on the top of the net, but Brazil continues to complain :wall: :wall: :wall:

• So..... The group stage of WGP 2016 has officially ended.

JPN,TUR,THA,BEL and GER have been showing really unimpressive performance throughout last three weeks.

As much as I wanted SRB and ITA to play in the finals, they could not make it.
    ITA has been playing since WOQT, I think the team needs some rest and regroup for Rio, Orro is a game changer, hope she recovers asap.
    Terzic has his own plan for SRB, I am really looking forward for their performance in Rio, I hope they won't play as the same level similar to London 2012.

I found it boring to see USA, NED and CHN play again in the same group.
    But don't underestimate NED, they might end up in top 4.

I think RUS will be a strong contender at the finals in Bangkok.
    Zaryazhko is having a good tournament so far and the setters have been using her more often.
    RUS has the strongest blocking MB pair this year, while USA has the best setter and OH combos.
    Goncharova is still the best opposite right now.

My guess that the grand final of WGP will be between RUS and USA.

• Turkish girls must play in Turkish top clubs (Fenerbahche, Galatasaray, Eczacibashi and Fenerbahche). They always sit on bench and they cant improve their games. I think it is big mistake, turkish girls can play high level game because there are a lot of strong foreigner players and strong league. Unfortunately Turkish clubs always think about play in Final Four. And for it, they dont let play turkish girls in main team, mostly they follow game from bench. If they think about national team, they must let turkish girls play in main team and keep them on court. I am sure they will improve their game as possible as they can

Some smart girls with better intentions do that actually. Fatma Yildirim signed with Bursa so that she can play regularly. I'm sure she got offers from top 4 teams. Guldeniz moved to GS for the same reason. Melis Durul, Özgenur and Asli have been playing regularly in their clubs. Same with Hande, Örge and Kubra but I'm not sure how it will work next season for them. The problem is not girls, problem is Ferhat and his choices. We had many setters who played regularly in their clubs and did a fine job in Turkey, but for some unknown reasons, he decided to pick up the ones who spent all their time on the bench.

• Terzic has his own plan for SRB, I am really looking forward for their performance in Rio, I hope they won't play as the same level similar to London 2012.

2012 was a nightmare year, literally everyone was either injured or recovering from injuries. In all honestly they shouldn't have even qualified for London.
    At this point it sounds almost hilarious that Maja originally intended to retire after that tournament. 8o

Rio '16 will be the third Olympic tournament for Ognjenović, Brakočević, Veljković and Ćebić, if she makes it there. Stefana will become a three-time Olympic participant at the age of 26!

• Not so fast: there is such a thing as the Corruption Perception Index of the famous NGO Transparency International. And regarding continents, it shows some sad truths: all African countries are nearly totally corrupt, as most latin American countries are too (the only exceptions are Chile and Uruguay, which are nearly as good as Germany for example in corruption prevention). And also in Europe there are really largely corrupt countries like Greece, Romania, Russia,...

And it is known, that corruption and doping are somewhat related and there is also a correlation to ethics in general. To make it rather clear: the poor state in Brazil for example with a lot of corruption is generally nothing, which increases ethical behavior in sports. But this has nothing to do with the humans living there or from where they come, but with the society and it's major income sources. For example, countries with much oil or other valuable resources tend to be much more corrupt than others, despite there are also exceptions (for example Norway). And because you are from Brazil, you should know well about your countries huge corruption problem.

Look, I agree with what you said. But I really wish people would have some respect with us. It makes us sad that our country does really have a lot of corruption going on and many many other problems that are very embarrassing. But we are a nice people. We have respect for other countries, other volleyball NTs, other players. Foreign players are always so welcomed here when they play in our Superleague. Most of them make friends with Brazilian players and make it clear they love playing here and miss Brazil when they leave (Cate Bosetti, Lise, Brankica, Sarah Pavan and so many from the 90s and 00s).

During the matches, we really are very emotional and celebrate and complain in a different manner if comparing to other nations, but that's how we are. We are latin Americans, it is our essence to do so. It's not meant to be disrespectful with anyone. I love some of American players, some of Italian players...
    This is a forum with people from the entire world. We should be careful with our words. Talking about players and coaches are okay and it is part of this forum but talking about Brazilians in a general context is not nice as our NT does not represent our entire nation.

Sorry for the off topic.

• Btw, where is Nana in Brazil? Isn't she a better choice than Roberta? I really liked her setting in Montreux.

She is in the wide roster and traveled to Turkey but has not been in the group of 14 players. Same for Mari.
    I dont know if Naiane will join the team in Thailand, but my guess is that she will be cut before that.
    I also think she is better than Roberta, but ROberta has been the official back up setter since last year, so she is fighting for the spot with Fabiola.

• She is in the wide roster and traveled to Turkey but has not been in the group of 14 players. Same for Mari.
    I dont know if Naiane will join the team in Thailand, but my guess is that she will be cut before that.
    I also think she is better than Roberta, but ROberta has been the official back up setter since last year, so she is fighting for the spot with Fabiola.

Wait, do you mean Mari Steinbrecher or Mari Praiba?

• I am sorry but Russian MBs are far from the best. They are tall, yes, and they can block. But they are not athletic, excluding Fetisova. With fast-tempo playing teams, they will be shredded to pieces. I still think Thaisa & Fabiana are the best MBs duos. Akinradewo ans even Juciely are much better than the Russian MBs.

• Some smart girls with better intentions do that actually. Fatma Yildirim signed with Bursa so that she can play regularly. I'm sure she got offers from top 4 teams. Guldeniz moved to GS for the same reason. Melis Durul, Özgenur and Asli have been playing regularly in their clubs. Same with Hande, Örge and Kubra but I'm not sure how it will work next season for them. The problem is not girls, problem is Ferhat and his choices. We had many setters who played regularly in their clubs and did a fine job in Turkey, but for some unknown reasons, he decided to pick up the ones who spent all their time on the bench.

Yes, Ferhad is not a good coach. Why Neslihan was a iron lady? Because she played in main team and she never stayed on beach. But Polen stayed on beach and she couldn't improve her game in Champions league. Also Kubra plays in main team in Turkish league not Champions League. Also Nursevil was bench player too. Turkish girls are very hero players but they always need improve their game not only Turkish League, also Champions League too. Unfortunately Ozgenur signed with Vakifbank. Kubra or Ozgenur will stay on bench. Polen never played a lot of high level games but Neslihan and Gozde did it. Ferhad is a weak coach but i think turkish top clubs let turkish girls play high level games not only Turkish league, also Champions league too. If they play a lot of high level games, i think they will be strong team in the world. I always think turkish girls have hero character and for it, they must improve their game.

• Yes, Ferhad is not a good coach. Why Neslihan was a iron lady? Because she played in main team and she never stayed on beach. But Polen stayed on beach and she couldn't improve her game in Champions league. Also Kubra plays in main team in Turkish league not Champions League. Also Nursevil was bench player too. Turkish girls are very hero players but they always need improve their game not only Turkish League, also Champions League too. Unfortunately Ozgenur signed with Vakifbank. Kubra or Ozgenur will stay on bench. Polen never played a lot of high level games but Neslihan and Gozde did it. Ferhad is a weak coach but i think turkish top clubs let turkish girls play high level games not only Turkish league, also Champions league too. If they play a lot of high level games, i think they will be strong team in the world. I always think turkish girls have hero character and for it, they must improve their game.

That's a very nice analysis. You are right, most of them don't play at high levels, they only play in the local league. GS used Guldeniz-Gamze and Asli in Cev cup. I think FB will play with Polen this year, I hope they will give more chances to Seyma (OH). Vakif will most likely play with Özgenur instead of Kubra and Gizem Örge/Naz will play in champions league. I think Eczacibasi won't give many chances to their local players this year though.

• if FIVB awards best players from Group Stages, then it would look like this:

S: Kanami Tashiro
    OP: Natalya Goncharova/Lonneke Sloetjes (one is better scorer, while the other one has the highest spiking % among OPs)
    OHs: Paola Egonu, Kimberly Hill
    MBs: Irina Zaryazhko, Yunli Xu
    L: Anna Malova

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• if FIVB awards best players from Group Stages, then it would look like this:

S: Kanami Tashiro
    OP: Natalya Goncharova/Lonneke Sloetjes (one is better scorer, while the other one has the highest spiking % among OPs)
    OHs: Paola Egonu, Kimberly Hill
    MBs: Irina Zaryazhko, Yunli Xu
    L: Anna Malova

OMG that would be a horrible starting line up if you had to have that as a team! :lol:

• so schedule for Finals in Thailand will be like this (in CET):

Pool J
    06.07 USA - Netherlands 10:00
    07.07 China - Netherlands 10:00
    08.07 USA - China 10:00

Pool K
    06.07 Thailand - Brazil 13:00
    07.07 Russia - Brazil 13:00
    08.07 Thailand - Russia 13:00

Semifinals (09.07):
    1st J - 2nd K 10:00
    1st K - 2nd J 13:00

Finals (10.07):
    3rd J - 3rd K 07:00
    losers of Semifinlas 10:00
    winners of Semifinals 13:00

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• I am sorry but Russian MBs are far from the best. They are tall, yes, and they can block. But they are not athletic, excluding Fetisova. With fast-tempo playing teams, they will be shredded to pieces. I still think Thaisa & Fabiana are the best MBs duos. Akinradewo ans even Juciely are much better than the Russian MBs.

I think you are the missing the point here. He is not saying the Russian MBs are overall better individually, but what works better when part of the system. If you have watched Russia's games, you can definitely see that the MBs are very disciplined when it comes to the block and this pays off for them. Goncharova even is in the Top 5 blockers in the statistics. I hope both China & USA will send their A teams im Bangkok