2016 FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix

• I would not call the winner the favorite for RIO...Brazil,USA and NED were the only ones that played the whole GP with their full squad basically without making a lot of changes like everybody else did.....and USA lost to China, and Brazil lost to China/Serbia...In the last 2 years the winner and runner up of the GP did not finish in the TOP 2 of the WCH and World Cup...

• i just watched usa-rus match..

russian reception was terrible...

if kosheleva doenst return with full force then a hard job will await russia indeed

lets take a look at both teams game :

usa is playing so fast ,russia's setter (pankova) is so slow compared to glass
    usa is serving toughly ,russia isnt
    usa is playing with the middles a lot ,Russia isnt

its impossible this system's working well without a fully recovered kosheleva againt top teams

shortly...usa is playing a very modern volleyball on the other hand russia seems to be playing out-of-date/dated volleyball (yes it could work well in europe)

serbia has bettter game mentality than russia...at least more modern

btw...larson and hill are doing a good job

• I agree with you, but on that video that was posted with the Brazilian channel in the Russian training center, Goncharova was asked about not having Gamova/Sokolova, and she said that the team without them is different, but it is not better or worst, but with them they played a "simple" game, now without them they play a "faster" game...

here`s the video...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRnW59IDQCA

• Prediction:
    6.THA
    5. CHI
    4. NED
    3. RUS
    2. BRA
    1. USA

It will definitely be an interesting final later today. As much as I love Brazil, I think they are still a bit messy and Sheilla is no longer dependable. At this current time, USA is much more a complete team and they have been playing good through out the competition. But Brazil haven't been playing with their complete A team line-up, so who knows? It will be like 2012 all over again, USA dominating everything and Brazil came back with a magic touch during the final of Olympic. Coach Ze is definitely a very talented and smart coach.

• Plak with very embarrassing mistakes 8|
    Dijkema looks lost on the court, now Stoltenborg replaces her.

• Russian reception better today than yesterday. Fetisova is shaping up to be a really complete player for Russia now that she's more involved in attack. :super:

• Goncharova has to be the best female blocking opposite in the world right now. She has a huge advantage over Lonneke in this skill :white:

• two blocks on Bujis in a row! :aww:

• Well, in order to crush Russia, they have to pass well first off and then use the middles as much as they can which Netherlands can't even afford at the moment. As for Russia, I wish they had brought players like Bavykina, Voronkova and Petrova so that they could prove at least a little bit of themselves ;)

The good sign for the dutch is that Balkestein is at the bench and talking to her teammates, she looks fine.

• Actually, I liked how Femke was playing, at least she used Robin quite often

• The Russian double sub has been ineffective this whole tournament. I wonder if it's purely Malykh's fault or just that her connection with Startseva is not there. I would prefer Isaeva at this point

• Goncharova blocked three times! :what:

• netherlands had many free balls but their attackers just unable to kill the ball.
    give russian block credit but they are capable of better, especially sloetjes.

as for goncha vs sloetjes, goncha is definitely more powerful but sloetjes seems to have a better lift. both got stuffed plenty so far in this game though lol.

• netherlands had many free balls but their attackers just unable to kill the ball.
    give russian block credit but they are capable of better, especially sloetjes.

as for goncha vs sloetjes, goncha is definitely more powerful but sloetjes seems to have a better lift. both got stuffed plenty so far in this game though lol.

I agree Goncha doesn't have a great vertical leap, that is I think because if her goofy approach. Winner of this match should decide who wins the Best Opposite award, either Goncha or Lonneke. These two are on a different league.

• I completely agree about the meaningless double-sub. If he subs them again after giving just one point to the opponent, what's the real purpose of it? I find it absolutely useless, it rather discourages the players. Besides the connection between Startseva and Malykh is just like oil and vinegar as the attacker wants fast sets and the setter can't set that way. I generally prefer Startseva as starter over Pankova but considering Goncharova, who's the strongest weapon, Pankova should remain because Startseva's reverse sets are not so good.

Good match by Fetisova once again, I love it when she does slides!

• Apparently there are quite many players who prefer to hit at zone 2 than zone 4. Goncharova, Malykh and now Pietersen.

I don't know what happened to Malova, she's just not playing as good as she did in the last three years. Perhaps tiredness or injury? ?( Goncharova and she realistically have been playing nonstop, so I understand it if it's owing to being worn out.