Russian NT 2016

• I agree and I said it before, as long as Fetisova and Zaryazhko are alright Marichev will get away with any choice for back-ups, but as soon as someone else needs to enter the court for whatever reason his choice could backfire. And I don't understand all the hate towards Lyubushkina, I think she's a good player. Surely not a Thaisa or a Foluke, but for Russian MB standards she is good.

If Kosheleva really needs to sit out or play handicapped, it means Goncharova will have to attack around 50 balls in every game, and in a tournament with 5 matches in 6 days she will have to be in her best shape to do that efficiently until the end. If I were Marichev I would probably try to rest her whenever possible in the preliminaries...but then, all this is hypothetical until we know any details about Kosheleva's health.

• I read on a Russian website that Marichev said that he was going to play the 2nd match with the bench players, and that the team was having problems with reception in the 1st match. No word about the injuries...

Oh, and he said that Orlova and Podskalnaya played very well in the 1st match because they were motivated to show what they're capable of because of being out of NT for now :D About Efimova he says that she is young and has little experience but he expects her to be very good in the future...how contradictory to take on the one hand a player who is not good yet and on the other hand one who isn't good anymore :roll:

• Any link? Stats, photos?

I read on a Russian website that Marichev said that he was going to play the 2nd match with the bench players, and that the team was having problems with reception in the 1st match. No word about the injuries...

• About de 2nd match :D

This is the article about reception: http://rsport.ru/volleyball/20151228/887490056.html

And this the one about Orlova and Podskalnaya: http://rsport.ru/volleyball/20151228/887488468.html

• If Kosheleva cannot help the team, the starting spikers will be

1. Shcherban-Shashkova/Ilchenko OHs and Obmochaeva as OPP
    2. Obmochaeva-Shcherban OHs and Malykh as OPP

Compared to the 2nd choice, the 1st one is safe and stable but Obmochaeva has to attack too many balls with this line-up.
    The 2nd one means they try 2 receivers system again. Malykh can help Obmochaeva on attacking but it's risky on reception and digging.

About Lyubushkina, I also like her style and she deserves 12 spots IMO.

• I agree and I said it before, as long as Fetisova and Zaryazhko are alright Marichev will get away with any choice for back-ups, but as soon as someone else needs to enter the court for whatever reason his choice could backfire. And I don't understand all the hate towards Lyubushkina, I think she's a good player. Surely not a Thaisa or a Foluke, but for Russian MB standards she is good.

She's not a bad player by any means. But IMO she really doesn't fit Russia's current system of utilizing strong blockers (and in a way, this can help reception) and Lyubushkina is terrible with blocking we all know that. And besides, both Fetisova and Zaryazkho are much better attacking in front of the setter and they haven't been so prolific with the slide since 2013 back when they had Morozova.

If Kosheleva really needs to sit out or play handicapped, it means Goncharova will have to attack around 50 balls in every game, and in a tournament with 5 matches in 6 days she will have to be in her best shape to do that efficiently until the end. If I were Marichev I would probably try to rest her whenever possible in the preliminaries...but then, all this is hypothetical until we know any details about Kosheleva's health.

If indeed Russia is playing without Kosheleva, they cannot afford not to have Goncharova on court at all times as Malykh is not really someone who can pile up the points consistently. I'm thinking maybe Goncharova can play as OH2 and Malykh as OPP? But again this is all speculation at this point..

• The problem with Goncharova as OH is that due to her goofy footwork she attacks much better from 2 than from 4, you can see for example in Moscow that they usually try a combination play with her when she has to attack from 4 in rotation 1. But since we don't hear anything about the injuries in press (yet?) I assume they are not too serious...

• The problem with Goncharova as OH is that due to her goofy footwork she attacks much better from 2 than from 4, you can see for example in Moscow that they usually try a combination play with her when she has to attack from 4 in rotation 1. But since we don't hear anything about the injuries in press (yet?) I assume they are not too serious...

I agree it almost seems "unnatural" when Goncharova attacks in position 4.. even in backrow she rarely hits outside 1. Hoping the injuries are not too serious, they still have almost a week to recover. With that said, the tournament gets more interesting if Russia plays without their full strength roster (just w/o Kosheleva really lol), anything can happen..

• I totally agree with Mattias, what's so wrong with Lyubushkina? She's been talked as if she was a terrible player after all. I think she's a solid team player. Simply better choice than an unhealthy Samoylenko or Orlova who's as slow as a turtle.

I wish a fast recovery for Tanya and Katya :rose:

• http://www.worldofvolley.com/N…-fine-with-kosheleva.html
    Kosheleva was playing, so looks like she's recovered. But the score of this friendly is really worrying.
    But talking about Russia without Kosheleva - they've played in WGP finals without her and did really well I think. But Goncharova had a form of her carier so far back then.

• Ah I see, regarding Efimova. What do you call decent for Orlova. It is also the Swiss League, how good and competitive is it?

The team that won the European Championship could be the ones that were called, providing they are all in good form.

Unfortunately there's no real competition for Volero in the Swiss league. Behind them there seem to be 4-5 clubs on a quite similar level battling for 2nd place, But you also have to keep in mind the financial side, with Volero operating maybe with 5-6?? times as much money as these other clubs. Results in the ongoing CEV and Challenge Cup have been really decent so far. I would guess that they are maybe comparable to clubs in the bottom third of the German Bundesliga, but it's hard to say.

• Ekaterina Efimova is OUT: http://rsport.ru/volleyball/20151230/887624030.html

Rússia 14 players

S: Kosianenko - Startseva
    OPP: Obmochaeva - Malykh
    OH: Scherban - Sokolova - Kosheleva - Hodunova - Ilchenko
    MB: Zaryazhko - Lyubushkina - Fetisova
    L: Malova - Yezhova

Ilchenko, the future Sokolova :super:

• Look how much fun some Russian players had in the 2nd match :D

Lyubushkina did not suit up yesterday, she was rested completely but should be OK for next week. Still, quite risky to take only 3 MBs under these circumstances. I wonder what's the purpose of having Hodunova in the roster...