2016 Olympic Games - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

• Russia is looking very weak at the moment. An out of form Mikhaylov, an aging Tetyutkhin and a weak Middle with Volvich and Volkov. Is Aschev injured? If he isn't, I have no idea why he isn't playing. He is Russia's best blocker. The missing of Markin, Berezhko and Muserkiy is also very apparent. This is going to be a short tournament for the Russians.

On the other hand, what a tournament so far from Facundo Conte! Absolutely world class. De Cecco and Sole also very solid. Impressed with the 20yr old Bruno Lima, bright future ahead of him

• Russia is looking very weak at the moment. An out of form Mikhaylov, an aging Tetyutkhin and a weak Middle with Volvich and Volkov. Is Aschev injured? If he isn't, I have no idea why he isn't playing. He is Russia's best blocker. The missing of Markin, Berezhko and Muserkiy is also very apparent. This is going to be a short tournament for the Russians.

On the other hand, what a tournament so far from Facundo Conte! Absolutely world class. De Cecco and Sole also very solid. Impressed with the 20yr old Bruno Lima, bright future ahead of him

Could not agree more..

• Looking forward to the heavyweight clash this afternoon between Italy and USA! Would love to hear how others think it will unfold?

I must admit that I am surprised that Italy is favoured, in my opinion odds should be even. Italy looked great against France, and if Zaytsev & Juantorena are both on, they are a very tough team to stop. Then again, the Americans are going to be motivated after being embarrassed by their Canadian neighbours. I would give the USA a slight edge today.

• By the way, random thought: I'm really enjoying these matches without the two TTO. The game flows a lot better.

I thought the same thing. There are surely some scenarios where this may help a leading team (and the first match was a perfect example when Italy led by 8-0 and then the French would've cherished a TTO but instead the game now goes on and the score grew to 9-0). But these are isolated cases and the lack of the two TTOs is not bad at all. Fewer interruptions, coaches still have two TOs, challenges are also there, the game is looking smooth. I like it and I am also enjoying it :)

• Argentina made a great surprise this afternoon! I thought Russia to be the favourite, but looking at the match, they didn't impress me... On the other side good block-difense system and also good job in attack. I thought Russia would grab the first place in the pool but after todat everything is questionable, considering that they still have to face Poland and iran.

The q is whether Russia will be able to deliver anything better than this from the service line. If this is it then yes, the tourney journey will be shorter than four years ago. Volkov and Volvich are - I agree - inferior to Ashev in terms of fast blocking but they are better attackers, which worked surprisingly well today even with Kobzar as a setter. They have very little chance though against those running sets. Had there been a stable server in Rus squad, things would have been a bit brighter even today. Russia has way too many tall people on the pitch for a defensive style of play. My option of "zenitisation" of the squad is still on: Mikhaylov, Bakun, Klyuka, hit hard, die young.

Kobzar looks very raw with his sets into four and two. Bakun had several sets seriously behind his back, Klyuka couldn't find the tempo. That pipe where the ball was set at the level of Klyuka's chest didn't look good. I think Alekno should let him play a bit more. Where there is a big problem indeed is the condition of Tetyukhin and the issue of the defensive OH. Volkov D. doesn't seem to realise he needs to grow up a little bit faster now. His youthful emotions upon every successful side-out are very touching but he is expected to deliver much more. If Tetyukhin wears out (which is highly likely) and Volkov D. is still where he is now then we have the zenitisation as the only remaining option.

I wouldn't say I am a massive optimist here as the problems (service, Volkov D, condition of Grankin, Mikhaylov) are very palpable but there are still quite a few games ahead and the key aspect is the condition that the team is in by the QF. I would cautiously assume that the QF is beyond discussion.

Argentina is in a fantastic shape, both physically and mentally, as of today. Again, let us see how good they are by the QF.

• The biggest dissapointemnt is not even players but Alekno. He is not so genious coach as many think here, Just was lucky 4 years ago. Interesting which progress we had achieved if Velasco has working with our team. And win with players like Leon and Anderson will can even Blendgini. French team for example plays so many times with the same players, and we have too many changes with his "probing" new players. Divish, Markin, Vlasov etc. Need more time to play with the same players to get understanding each other.

• The biggest dissapointemnt is not even players but Alekno. He is not so genious coach as many think here, Just was lucky 4 years ago. Interesting which progress we had achieved if Velasco has working with our team. And win with players like Leon and Anderson will can even Blendgini. French team for example plays so many times with the same players, and we have too many changes with his "probing" new players. Divish, Markin, Vlasov etc. Need more time to play with the same players to get understanding each other.

:lol: :lol: Spot on :P

• Team USA should quickly learn that italians will always take the whole hand whenever they get offered the little finger. They are not playing really bad so far but somehow they lack a bit of urgency.

Regarding Italy, it is always again great to see with how much confidence a 20 year old can play. :thumbup:

• I'm going to have an heart attack during this match xD
    Nice intensity, even if with too many mistakes.

Bira :( :( I hope it's gonna be ok, even if I'm afraid is a bit serious...

scarpetta, I half agree on Giannelli: some poor sets and choices, but a lot of 'others' great stuff that keep the team moral up!
    And the referee just called him a fault xD

Ps since when Brasilians are cheering for Italy? xD I didn't expect that!
    And way so few replays? :(

• Ps since when Brasilians are cheering for Italy? xD I didn't expect that!

Probably because we lose more often to the USA than to Italy.
    The crowd tends to cheer for the "weakest" team.