2016 Olympic Games - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

• We are vice-champions in U21 and U19, and in 2020 De Cecco will be 32, Conte 30 and Sole 29, all still in their prime.

If the coach stays I'd bet we will only get better in the next 4 years.

• Lucarelli and Lipe didn't even train with the rest of the team today, so unless Bernardinho decides to risk Lucarelli at all costs, we could expect Douglas to make his proper debut in the tournament right in the SFs match against Russia. It's one of those situations where things, which were bad to begin with, got so much worse it's actually hilarious.

• I'm sorry but if the best Argentina of the last 15 years cannot defeat the worst Brazil of the last 15... that's a curse

Regarding us, it's the 6th olympic semifinal in a row, but if we did not win the gold medal when we was the strongest ones (1996 and 2000), I can't imagine we can do it now

Couldn't have said it better. Curses don't really exist, but mental blocks do.

If Poland always gets trashed in the QF, and not even by the best teams (lost in 2008 to the worst Italy ever), it's hardly a curse, just playing great vb in the pool and the worst match of the tournament when it truly matters.

Argentina obviously has the same inferiority complex of Italy multiplied by a hundred times. Brazil was complete crap at some stages of the match and Argentina just didn't know what to do with it.

Italy... I'm afraid we're on the way for another bronze medal match, which I would prefer to a third silver anyway. I just can't watch them lose another Olympic final and I'm sure they will find a way to help Brazil win it just like our Argentinian "nephews".

• As i see, we have a lot of variations this time in the prediction game.

Under normal circumstances, i would not bet on Russia in this match but now?
    Without Lucarelli and/or Lipe and taking into consideration high intensity of Brazil's last two matches compared to Russia`s rather smooth route to the semis? It is going to be interesting for sure.

The better quality match i expect at Italy-USA. Looks like US Boys have finally arrived and found stability on a good level. Italy impressed a lot so far but still i go with team USA in this match as i think they are the more balanced team with more more tactical options.
    At times, of course, it is only about the big boys hammering it down, which would speak for Italy. We will see :super:

• Lucarelli and Lipe didn't even train with the rest of the team today, so unless Bernardinho decides to risk Lucarelli at all costs, we could expect Douglas to make his proper debut in the tournament right in the SFs match against Russia. It's one of those situations where things, which were bad to begin with, got so much worse it's actually hilarious.

This doesn't necessarily mean Lucarelli and Fonteles are not going to play. Could have just given both some time to rest and/or recover. And confuse the opponent :).

• As i see, we have a lot of variations this time in the prediction game.

Under normal circumstances, i would not bet on Russia in this match but now?
    Without Lucarelli and/or Lipe and taking into consideration high intensity of Brazil's last two matches compared to Russia`s rather smooth route to the semis? It is going to be interesting for sure.

The better quality match i expect at Italy-USA. Looks like US Boys have finally arrived and found stability on a good level. Italy impressed a lot so far but still i go with team USA in this match as i think they are the more balanced team with more more tactical options.
    At times, of course, it is only about the big boys hammering it down, which would speak for Italy. We will see :super:

BRA-RUS game is hard to judge as I don't know what to expect. Russia has an advantage of being the bookies underdog and having a stronger roster. E.g. in any of the three remaining semifinalists, a player like Bakun won't be sitting on the bench. The potential problems are an unclear condition of the key players who are not that young, an unclear reaction of the players who are "that young" to the crowd and a lack of competitive practice. If we manage to keep the model of the game, we're in business and then I'll be curious what Rezende comes up with. If not... then on comes Dima Muserskiy who's been disguised in Rio as Artem Yermakov.

• The reason why i not wish success to Italy is that in that case all will be saing how brilliant the coach Blengini. Anyway Italy owed to us for 2 players, also Antonov shows himself only on serve :lol:

• .. in any of remaining 3 semifinalist, a player like Bakun won't be sitting on the bench.

I quickly went through Wallace's stats, as i just kept in mind his great performances against France and Argentina and yes, they did not look very impressive prior to these matches. Whether Bakun had done better, is academical question but it is clear that Wallace has to show up tonight, especially when Lucarelli is out. And russian block will probably make it more difficult for him than the Argentininan's.

Zaytsev hasn't exactly backed up his renommee during last two seasons in Moscow and regarding his general fame i do think he is a little overrated. But looking only at this tournament he did really well and there is not much to complain. His performance in the next two matches will surely influence my future opinion on him.

Regarding Bakun at team USA, you could have a point here. Anderson still is better OH than OP and somehow a true opposite who is comfortable on this position, especially in crucial moments of the game, is missing. But overall, you can say that he is getting the
    job done.

• in that case all will be saing how brilliant the coach Blengini.

As far as i can judge our italian users here, i am pretty sure that this will never ever happen. 8)

• It's called eugenics. We attract foreign talents, have them reproduce, their kids are born in Italy and voilà, bella Italia is in their hearts and they want to represent their true motherland, not some former soviet frozenland.

I'm only half kidding: such a tiny foreign population created the sons of Lasko (1976 Olympic gold for Poland), Zaytsev (1980 Moscow USSR gold and two silvers), Antonov (USSR 1988 Seoul silver).

Germany has like 10 million Russians and Poles living in Berlin alone, and the best they could make was Kaliberda.

• Mamma mia Mamma mia Mamma mia 8|

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

• That was entertaining :box:
    Zaytsev came late, but he came. :super:

Did i see it right and not a single card has been issued for italian protests? 8o