Brazilian NT 2016

• Brazilian team for Rio 2016
    Setters: Dani Lins, Fabíola.
    Opposites: Sheilla Castro.
    Middle Blockers: Fabiana, Thaísa, Juciely, Adenízia.
    Receivers: Natália, Fernanda Garay, Jaqueline Carvalho, Gabi.
    Liberos: Léia

Camila Brait (!) Roberta and Tandara are out.
    source: worldofvolley

• i'm very happy to see both jucy and ade in the team, since i like them both. and it's the first olympics ever for jucy, congrats to her, she's also getting old so this would be her last chance.

however, i know idiot ze will not use either one of them very much, also because both thaisa and fabi are so dominant.

• i'm very happy to see both jucy and ade in the team, since i like them both. and it's the first olympics ever for jucy, congrats to her, she's also getting old so this would be her last chance.

however, i know idiot ze will not use either one of them very much, also because both thaisa and fabi are so dominant.

unless Gabi will be used as backup OP, then both Ade and Jucy can be used in double sub with Fabiola to improve block line ^^

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Wow! Sad to see those players cut, truly. Tandara just doesn't make enough of a difference in the double sub, I guess, and wasn't in reliable shape after her maternity leave. Nonetheless, Ze needs to buckle down and get some good, young opposites into the NT. For whatever reason, the position doesn't seem to be that important for Brazil anymore, so maybe they should consider switching to a more universal system, like some of the Asian teams.

Poor Camila Brait. She's improved so much over the years, and become such a leader. Leia is the better player right now, but I'm sad to see Camila out.

Roberta, if she continues to improve, will have many more years with the team, and a definite shot at Tokyo. I'm surprised about Fabiola, though. I really didn't think she'd make it.

Well, with Dani, that arsenal of middles, Leia, and those four OH, Brazil will no doubt be formidable. I can't wait to see them play!!

• I'm still not too convinced on the whole one OPP thing. It's a shame Paula Borgo didn't start to truly shine until this last season, otherwise she could've used the experience during the entire Olympic period and then joined the team in Rio as Sheilla's backup. The rest I'm pleased with though, glad to see Léia will be the libero and not Brait - although it's heartbreaking to see her getting cut once again.

• Brazil will by far have the oldest team of the competition. 8 of 12 players are 30 or older, plus Adenizia who will be 30 later this year. That really makes you wonder what will happen to Brazil after Rio OG :S

I'm actually scared, but also kinda excited for the new names we'll be seeing after Rio. Tandara, Paula Borgo and Rosamaria are all young and can take over the OPP position. Dani Lins can still play another OG, but there are also Naiane and Roberta as possible subs. The biggest question marks are the OH and MBs positions. :huh:

As for the veterans, I'm not sure we'll be seeing Sheilla, Jaqueline, Fabiana and maybe Garay much longer in the NT...

• I would not be surprised if Sheilla retires after the OG not only from the NT team, but from volleyball in general, or at least take a break to have a child.

I would not be worried about Brazil, after 2004 and with that dramatic loss for Russia, lot of the Brazil`s legends retired from the NT like Virna, Erika,Elisangela,Venturini,Arlene, Fofoao( she came back later)..and nobody knew what was gonna happen with the Brazilian team...but then Brazil built their best generation ever and started by taking the Grand Champions Cup 2005 over the Olympic Champions China...

The difference is that in the Brazilian SuperLiga all the young new talent are actually playing the game....while in Turkey,Italy and some others the young talents are sitting on the bench and not playing the game....

• I'm kind of surprised with the roster. I only saw Leia in the GP. She was good but inexperienced. From what you all are saying Brandt had decline in play. but why would you not take two liberos in the event one of them start to tank. Instead of taking 4 middles, take the normal 3, and use one of the OHs as a double dub since you have 4 good outsides. I'm happy for Juicey she has been really good this year. I can't wait for Carol to have a chance to play in the big competitions.

• I would not be surprised if Sheilla retires after the OG not only from the NT team, but from volleyball in general, or at least take a break to have a child.

I would not be worried about Brazil, after 2004 and with that dramatic loss for Russia, lot of the Brazil`s legends retired from the NT like Virna, Erika,Elisangela,Venturini,Arlene, Fofoao( she came back later)..and nobody knew what was gonna happen with the Brazilian team...but then Brazil built their best generation ever and started by taking the Grand Champions Cup 2005 over the Olympic Champions China...

The difference is that in the Brazilian SuperLiga all the young new talent are actually playing the game....while in Turkey,Italy and some others the young talents are sitting on the bench and not playing the game....

I wouldn't be worried about Brazil but they will definitely lose more when this generation leaves than they did in 2004. This generation is much better than Erika, Elisangela, Leila, etc. There will always be talent in Brazil because of the importance of the sport in the country and the structure the game has but with the exception of Gabi, there are relatively few younger players that are either extremely physical or extremely skilled which allow them to play at the highest level. I anticipate they'll go from top 3 in the world to top 5, which is not a huge difference but a difference nonetheless. Natalia, Gabi, Dani Lins, Fernand Garay and Tandara (who still needs to demonstrate she can get back to her prior form) will all be around and is a good base to start.

The Rio 2016 roster looks exactly like I anticipate. While Ze certainly wanted to get Roberta the reps she needs to be able to play in the next cycle, the experience level of Fabiola vs. Roberta is undeniable. Tandara wasn't nearly in good enough shape to make the Olympics and before the medal rounds, I think we'll see Natalia play OPP against some of the weaker teams. While they won't get much time, Adenizia and Juciely have been with the program for sometime and are great players in their own right. The most unfortunate cut was Camila Brait but Leia was playing out of her mind during the WGP and it was a touch choice.

While I am rooting for the USA to take the gold, I live in Brazil and it would be an amazing feat if Brazil were able to take home the gold in Rio. If the USA can't take it, I hope Brazil does.

• So u live in Brazil, why does your location says USA? Where r u originally from?

Based on the age and level of the players China could make to Tokyo 2020 with the same roster they will play in Rio.

Age and Height average of the teams in RIo ( Wide List).

Brazil - 29 (1.82 cm)

USA - 27 ( 1.87)
    Puerto Rico - 27 ( 1.83)

Argentina - 26 ( 1.82)
    Russia - 26 ( 1.86)
    Serbia - 26 (1.87)
    Korea - 26 ( 1.80)

Italy - 25 ( 1.84)
    Japan - 25 (1.75)

China - 24 ( 1.87)
    Netherlands - 24 ( 1.87)
    Cameroon - 24 ( 1.82)

• Brasil 1,82 cm? With only Leia and Gabi below this height?

• Gomes: Dani Lins is 181, no? Still, a peculiarly low average. Maybe Leia and Gabi weigh the number down more than I'd imagine?

Anyhow, speaking of "next generation"-type things. Anyone have thoughts on Carla Santos from Minas? I think she's a really tremendous player and could be a major force in years to come. She's quite little, though. Just like Gabi G and Gabi de Souza. I can't really see a future Brazilian lineup with 3 OH being 174-175. (There are taller options too, it just seems like both the Gabis will have spots on the NT in coming years.)

• Gomes: Dani Lins is 181, no? Still, a peculiarly low average. Maybe Leia and Gabi weigh the number down more than I'd imagine?

Anyhow, speaking of "next generation"-type things. Anyone have thoughts on Carla Santos from Minas? I think she's a really tremendous player and could be a major force in years to come. She's quite little, though. Just like Gabi G and Gabi de Souza. I can't really see a future Brazilian lineup with 3 OH being 174-175. (There are taller options too, it just seems like both the Gabis will have spots on the NT in coming years.)

I don't think we'll see Gabi (the 1.75cm one) in the senior NT. Same for Carla, she's way too short. There's Drussyla, but she's still green and hasn't even played full time in Superliga. Other than her, unless Rosamaria and Tandara convert to OH full time, I really don't see any other alternatives. Hopefully the league will see someone young shine this year like Douglas Souza did last season.

• who was the star of the BRA u19 team, lorenne?

and what happened to suelle?

Suelle doest not have NT level and Lorenne is OPP. She was Monique's bench player last season in Rexona but now she will play in Sesi along with other young players and will be a starter.

• I got this info from the FIVB website, Brazil's height is acurate at 1.82cm.
    Sheila is 1.85, Adenizia 1.85, Tandara 1.84, Natalia 1.83, Fabiola 1.84, Dani 1.81, Jaque 1.86, Carol 1.83, Gabi 1.76, Garay 1.79, Leia 1.69, Fabiana 1.93, Thaissa 1.96, Jucyeli 1.84.

• I got this info from the FIVB website, Brazil's height is acurate at 1.82cm.
    Sheila is 1.85, Adenizia 1.85, Tandara 1.84, Natalia 1.83, Fabiola 1.84, Dani 1.81, Jaque 1.86, Carol 1.83, Gabi 1.76, Garay 1.79, Leia 1.69, Fabiana 1.93, Thaissa 1.96.

Gabi is 1.80m now if I'm not mistaken.