CEV Champions League 2017

• Did Kurek given up playing as OH?

yes, he did, Skra has to deal with quite inexperienced OHs: Szalpuk and Bednorz, experienced and fragile Winiarski and Penchev who's not a scoring machine... as a result it ends up like this :whistle: moreove they kicked off Zatorski to make a place for president's son :lol: Wlazły is ending up as well ad they keep him playing instead of trying someone else...

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• It all boiled down on the WS in the end as predicted. Penchev just isn't world class to take on the likes of Ngapeth. They badly need Conte back. There's also Taylor Sander if Verona can't get him to return to the team.

Nikolay Penchev surely isn't among the best OHs one can buy for his team but his role and value seem underestimated a bit. kondzio's definition that he isn't a scoring machine is actually more accurate. Let me explain why, it has nothing to do with his nationality. The fact that I am Bulgarian, too, means that I have just watched him more.

Penchev developed as a reliable receiver when he was still a youngster. I guess he was a tall kid even in his first years as a volleyball player but his skill to receive isn't the most frequently found one among youth and junior players. Especially in Bulgaria where receiving OHs are relatively rare. Remember that he won the Best Receiver award at the Junior ECH in Belarus in 2010. Sure, if you have that characteristic and you are tall, you are kind of predestined to find teams anywhere. His big problem, obviously, is his physique. Even now he still looks immature, although there is improvement in comparison to his first season in Poland. His physique and the fact that he struggles to "grow up" remind me of Poletaev, Dmitry Volkov, and Douglas Souza from SESI - the first few examples that come to my mind. However, Penchev isn't helpless in attack at all (neither is any of the other guys I mentioned). He certainly isn't capable of drilling holes in the field but I wouldn't consider him a weak attacker. He has learned to play with the block more and he doesn't make many mistakes. Besides, he serves very well, his floats are a nice alternative when his jump serves don't always work (his floats decided the quarterfinal match of Bulgaria versus Germany at the 2013 ECH, they were also decisive in the re-match at the 2015 ECH quarterfinal) and he has improved his blocking. These are not qualities of an average player.

Let's quickly jump to the comparisons with Ngapeth (here, in this thread) and with Ivovic in Resovia (in the transfers thread). Their styles and roles in the respective teams are different, to start with. Alongside Ivovic, who attacks greatly, who is loaded more with responsibility in the front line, and who has enjoyed a splendid 2016, Penchev is (was) usually the one to help with the reception more. So, to say that you are impressed more with Ivovic than Penchev is a personal choice but it surely neglects the role of the latter in the team. As we know, attackers always get the attention :) Ngapeth is a beast and can be compared to only a few players nowadays. The fact that makes him great is not only his improvisation but the variety of qualities, including great reception. He is the reliable receiver for Modena, not Petric, most French OHs are good receivers, as a matter of fact, and when he attacks like he does, he is undoubtedly world-class. But not my type of player because of his attitude. As you see, a matter of preferences. By the way, Penchev outplayed Ngapeth at the 2015 ECH semifinal, a great tournament for Penchev in a bad moment of his life, but I would never say that Nikolay is better than the Frenchman.

Last, the whole team of Skra is somewhat unfocused lately and I can't really say why, people who watch the Polish league regularly should know more. I see OHs being always in rotation, something I remember that happened with Resovia at a certain time under Kowal's guidance last year. The good old Winiarski could've made up for Conte's absence, the latter is spectacular but not irreplaceable. Penchev isn't impressive in 2016, absolutely agree, he wasn't impressive with the NT during the summer either and rumours say, some of them might even be trusted, he is (still) in love and volleyball might not be the primary focus for him at the moment :)

• I understand your point but there's a reason I would be much more critical on Penchev than I would on Szalpuk as the club relies more on their foreigners in bigger stages such as this at this point. He is also not getting any younger so he needs to show more of his worth or he's going to be replaced and we all know the foreign players are always the first to go when teams underperformed.

As much as I value reception, you can't always have it perfect and especially against a team of great servers like Modena, the setters are gonna rely more and more on your outside hitters than they normally do and considering Kurek's condition and the team moving away from Marius, it's important for the OHs to be capable on handling great/triple blocks when they are needed.

I guess Penchev could work on other teams but since skra is an incoherent mess of a team structure, I couldn't see it much. The level that he's showing is below or maybe on par a Polish player and managers don't want that unless he's cheap.

Yeah Ngapeth is the better receiver on the team than Petric but I'm not going to praise him more than he deserves. He still make mistakes.There's a serious lack of skilled players at that height that Petric has and as it always stands, the rule that the smaller guys has to work harder to compete. The reason why some may call someone world class is obviously subjective and be rigged with bias but it doesn't mean there is no basis behind it. The reason we may call Aaron or Wilfredo on a league of their own even though they are just average at some things, they are exceptional at others and then there was Murilo and now Ngapeth, maybe Taylor without the injury who are good all around players which makes them a cut from the rest.

Anyway, this level of play from Skra is worrisome for Plusliga. Top 2 in the standings and ranked bottom in their group. NAGL. :whistling:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Did Winiarski play yesterday? To me it seems there are two Skras: the one with reasonably on-form Winiarski, which is really quite good and the one without Winiarski, which has a huge problem with receivers and is probably a cut below both Resovia and Zaksa. Unfortunately for Skra, the latter happens more often, as Winiarski has constant health problems.

• Did Winiarski play yesterday? To me it seems there are two Skras: the one with reasonably on-form Winiarski, which is really quite good and the one without Winiarski, which has a huge problem with receivers and is probably a cut below both Resovia and Zaksa. Unfortunately for Skra, the latter happens more often, as Winiarski has constant health problems.

Unfortunately, they were pretty even with Modena when it comes to reception which brings us to the quality of their block, serve and attack.

Do some of you all think Plusliga increasing the teams in the main division diluted the pool of players from Poland? I feel like 16 teams in a league is just way too overkill and kind of just delay the inevitable. It's pretty worse for Winiarski and Wlazly too. A longer season usually means injuries. :set:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• PenichEV its not that good. I would to prefer play with Screcko and Gladyr duo with Bednorsz and Artur.

Resolvia hás a lot of better oh than Penchev.

• Is this the new setter of Halkbank? Horrible performance but atleast forgiveable but if this was the same guy as before then wow. :white:

#FreeBritney

• Asseco Resovia its so much mbetter than last year.... Gavin its an amazing Opp high level OH tall MB and good setter and Good Libero. A Great Team who must to fight for the Title.

• Zakza and Berlin look to me the teams who are playing more near form their best.

• Asseco Resovia its so much mbetter than last year.... Gavin its an amazing Opp high level OH tall MB and good setter and Good Libero. A Great Team who must to fight for the Title.

Who must fight for the 2nd place :D In my opinion, Resovia, Lube, Modena, Perugia are all in the race in order to decide who's gonna lose against Zenit in the finals... too strong for all of them

By the way, Berlin is showing is a very good team. The win agaisnt Lube was not only an episode

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

• I think that Zenit its not far from Asseco Resovia, Modena and I think that Zaksza can do something like Berlin do against better teaams, but Zenit its just too much for Berlin...

Asseco if they managed to improve their game(Solid Setter and reception)

Modena its a good team but Vettori its just and ? so they have his chances either, great reception powerfull OH and Great MB. Modena its near from Brazilian game style i think. They do not have powerfull OH but they have stronger MB who can score a lot of.

Perugia and Civitanova are really stronger on the paper but I see them with not much chances against Zenit, they look in a "similar" Style, both Italian teams have better setters but with much more confidence in the outside hitters.

• About Vettori, I am one of his biggest enemies but this year is extremely improoving (look at the match against against Lube in which schooled Sokolov). By the way we cannot compete against Zenit both because they are stronger than us everywhere except MBs, both because Petric after 1 year of injuries he's not aymore the player he used to be (usefull on the serve and block, but harmful on reception and usual and incosistent on attack).

Moreover, Zenit can rest unitil the finals, whereas Serie A is very strenuous because every teams are strong

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

Edited once, last by Mamdani ().

• I think that Orduna its not worse than Russian Setters and Rossini its not worse than Salparov. And in my Opinion Zenit will have not a easy way to final four, last year they already had some problems agaisnt SKRA and Trentino.

• about the level of Italian league, Ok, its a little bit more stronger but about rest, you should know that in russian League the players must to travel more than in Italian league to play.

• I think that Orduna its not worse than Russian Setters and Rossini its not worse than Salparov. And in my Opinion Zenit will have not a easy way to final four, last year they already had some problems agaisnt SKRA and Trentino.

Ok about Rossini I can agree, but not about Orduna. Come on I'm not a great fan of Butko but he's by far better than him :S

By the way we're gonna discover. In my opinion, by looking the rosters (the bench too), Zenit is the best team, than there are Lube and Resovia at similar level, than Perugia and Modena (both teams don't have a good bench in order to be competitive both in Superlega and Champions)... Finally there is Zaksa as the loose cannon of the year

• Or maybe Berlin the loose cannon? :what: :what:

• IMO Ivovic was the main problem in the beggining of the set and not Gavin

• Berlin and Zakzsa like a said before, are playing really near from their bests, but Berlin can not beat Zenit, the others, why not.

• This is the first match of Resovia that I see this year. Are they always so disastrous from the back row (poor reception and no digging) or it's only a bad day?