Olympic Games - 2016 | 8 | 6

• I don't think, that this will happen - every sports federation is responsible for it's own. And this sounds to be like the stupid revived cold war approach "Russia is the enemy and we treat them as such" by USA now. You simply can't make responsible all other sports, if one plays foul even that large than Russian athletics did. It would contradict all juristic standards. There would be much more resason to exclude Jamaica athletes IMHO, because I'm pretty sure they did the very same as the Russian athletic federation, shielded by the world federation against WADA anti-doping measures.

• i'd be shocked if that happens.
    without russian's voluteering cooperation, it's impossible to prove they're all cheats beyond reasonable doubt.
    and outside of western countries, not many countries will back this sweeping ban. russia's traditional allies sure
    won't. more importantly, even if they're all cheats, i don't think the ban will solve the problem. one has to ask
    the cold war era is long gone, why would russia as a state still sponsor doping. that's the root cause we need to
    address.

• It has nothing to do with Cold War paranoia.

Since allegations were made about doping on the Russian track and field program, new accusations surfaced in other sports. The investigation is international but the allegations were made by Russian whistleblowers.
    Tomorrow, they'll disclose the results of the investigations about doping in Sochi 2014. Some insiders are saying that the investigation will show that doping in Russia is a systemic problem and a scheme was put together by members of the Russian Olympic Committee as well the Sports Ministry Office.

If that's true, Russia's situation is really bad because the IOC already talked about zero-tolerance policy about doping.
    Maybe the IOC will ban Russia from the next Winter Games and won't from Rio 2016. But something should be done.

• China Roster of 12, but not the final one, said Lang Ping

S (2): Ding Xia, Wei Qiuyue
    OP (2): Yang Fangxu, Gong Xiangyu
    OH (4): Hui Ruoqi (C), Zhu Ting, Zhang Changning, Liu Xiaotong
    MB (3): Xu Yunli, Yan Ni, Yuan Xinyue
    L (1): Lin Li

Zeng Chunlei, Shen Jingsi and Wang Mengjie temporarily (deserved) are out.

Lang Ping said only the setters are confirmed, which means Shen Jingsi is definately OUT.
    Zeng Chunlei and Wang Mengjie can only be selected on condition that an unexpected injury happened to the other players.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• It has nothing to do with Cold War paranoia.

Since allegations were made about doping on the Russian track and field program, new accusations surfaced in other sports. The investigation is international but the allegations were made by Russian whistleblowers.
    Tomorrow, they'll disclose the results of the investigations about doping in Sochi 2014. Some insiders are saying that the investigation will show that doping in Russia is a systemic problem and a scheme was put together by members of the Russian Olympic Committee as well the Sports Ministry Office.

If that's true, Russia's situation is really bad because the IOC already talked about zero-tolerance policy about doping.
    Maybe the IOC will ban Russia from the next Winter Games and won't from Rio 2016. But something should be done.

There is no doubt systematic doping occurs in Russia. But not all sports are affected equally. And athletes like every other human in the world should be presumed innocent until proven guilty. Even so, in the past year Russian athletes are all tested by UKAD since RUSADA's suspension. Before the McLaren report came out, USADA and CCES has already drafted and sought signatures to ban Russia behind the backs of other Federations.

http://www.reuters.com/article…ssia-report-idUSKCN0ZX0JQ

The leaking of a draft letter urging a complete ban on Russian athletes at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics has undermined a key report into doping allegations at the 2014 Sochi Games, WADA board member Nenad Lalovic said on Sunday.The leaked letter, addressed to the International Olympic Committee (IOC), backed by several anti-doping agencies and circulated to the World Anti-Doping Agency's (WADA) athlete committee, called for all Russian athletes to be banned from the Rio Games.Russia's track and field athletes are already banned from competing in Rio by the world governing International Association of Athletics' Federations (IAAF) over widespread doping in the sport.The letter was due to be sent once a report into allegations of state-backed doping at the Sochi winter Olympics led by Canadian law professor Richard McLaren is presented on Monday.Lalovic, who heads United World Wrestling and is also a member of WADA's foundation board, said the letter would weaken the McLaren report, if it offered clear evidence of doping offences."Unfortunately this report is harmed by all the events before the report is public," Lalovic told Reuters. "Obviously the report focuses on the situation in Russia but we cannot generalize so easily. Of course it has been harmed now."Nobody will now take it as seriously as it should be because it seems that a lot was known in advance."The letter, obtained by Reuters on Saturday, was drafted by United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) CEO Travis Tygart and his Canadian counterpart Paul Melia.It has the support of several other anti-doping bodies including Germany, New Zealand and Japan, as well as some athletes groups, according to Tygart and Melia.It was also circulated to WADA's Athlete Committee members by Canada's Beckie Scott, who chairs the committee, asking whether they would support it.Lalovic said he had not received a copy of the letter despite being on WADA's decision-making body.
    "If we have drafts of letters being circulated asking to ban all Russian athletes then that is strange," Lalovic, who is also an IOC member said."USADA should be focused on the health of American athletes and those competing in the United States. Now it seems that USADA and the Canadians took over responsibility of WADA. Nobody entitled them to do that."

So tell me how WADA is an independent and fair body?

• All U.S. athletes can also earn a “medal bonus” from the U.S. Olympic committee for each medal won. The Committee pays American medal winners $25,000 for gold, $15,000 for silver, and $10,000 for bronze medals. Some countries, though not all, pay athletes similar medal bonuses.

How much does your country pays??

• OMG, I can't believe Serbia pays so much more. :aww:

Gold: 35 000 euros
    Silver: 30 000 euros
    Bronze: 25 000 euros

Moreover, the Olympic medalists also get a monthy pension after the age of 40. Gold is worth 3 average national salaries, silver - two and a half, bronze - two.

Not to mention that World and European medalists also get similar prizes. I think it's definitely too much, especially for a struggling country like Serbia.

• in the US a couple of athletes depending on their sucess will end up making money with endorsements, advertising campaigns etc...but that is mostly the swimmers, soccer and basketball, gymnastic...as for volleyball unfortunately I dont think they make any extra at all, they dont get any exposure wheter they win or not, with the exception for Kerry Wash..

• If Russian teams are banned then Germany and Turkey will be invited? is there time for it or both tournaments will have to do with 11 teams?

• I had a feeling that Leia can make it! :win: :woohoo:
    Although I'm so sorry for Camila Brait, I would take her instead of Adenizia :read:

• Camila out once again :white: but Leia actually deserves it ^^ and Sheilla has no backup, so it means that either one of OHs or Adenizia/Juciely will enter during double sub :wavy: and I'm so happy that Fabiola is back after giving birth :thumbup:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• If Russian teams are banned then Germany and Turkey will be invited? is there time for it or both tournaments will have to do with 11 teams?

I still can't imagine that Russian volleyball especially would be banned for Rio, despite that IMHO exaggerated Meldonium story. And even if they would, there is no time to qualify or even prepare systematically for another team now. I guess, if this unlikely case would happen, Turkey would inherit that berth for Rio, but their players are not aware and hard to collect and train in so short time (other countries would have the same issue). And beware, don't send that feeble German team from Grand Prix to Rio, they would have no chance to get to the quarters.

• Camila out once again :white: but Leia actually deserves it ^^ and Sheilla has no backup, so it means that either one of OHs or Adenizia/Juciely will enter during double sub :wavy: and I'm so happy that Fabiola is back after giving birth :thumbup:

Great to see Fabiola back! But Camila out?! I It must be so hard for her, I doubt she'll play for the NT ever again.. And I don't support that decision.. In all fairness to Leia, she played great, better than Camila when given a chance actually, but Brait was not a dissaster.. and she has been their starting libero for these last 4 years, and also has played quite a lot on the international level before that.. I am worried how Leia will play with that pressure.. Also 4 MBs? I mean as long as both Fabiana and Thaisa are healthy Adenzia and Jucy will not be seeing the court.. I would even understand taking 5th OH - Mari Paraiba, than 4th MB..

• On russiavolley today only a selection of 15 was published, so still three has to be taken out of the list:

http://www.russiavolley.com/81…eam-at-rio-olympic-games/

In short:

L: Malova, Ezhova
    S: Startseva, Pankova-Kosanienko, Vetrova
    OH: Kosheleva, Shcherban, Ilchenko, Voronkova
    OPP: Goncharova, Malygina (!)
    MB: Zaryachko, Fetisova, Lyubushkina, Samailenko-Shlyakovhaya

The surprise for me, and likely not only for me, is the second opposite, because I expected Natalia Malykh as backup for Goncharova of course. But it is Marichevs secret, why he chose that young, tall Malygina without considerable experience and of doubtful muscular state.

On the other hand, to take into account newly Irina Voronkova makes sense,because the offerings for OHs are not that broad currently than for middles IMHO in Russia. Final decision about their twelve Rio travelers will be made only on 25. or 26. July, especially also, if Koshelevas health state allows it and makes sense for her to participate.

• I can only state, this is typical for Serbia, where sports are much more important even for the country officially compared to other sectors in relation to most other countries. These are high salaries indeed, and they are part of attracting young people into sports via financial perspectives. This holds true especially for volleyball, where national league salaries are ridiculous low, but the chances to get into foreign leagues with much higher payments are not bad for strong young players.

• about Brazil: so maybe better would be to take Camila instead of Adenizia ?( but then who would enter in double sub ?( maybe Adenizia can support block then...

about Russia: IMHO contenders to be out are Vetrova (Marichev called another setter, but why ?( ), Ezhova (she's pretty weak L and I don't think she can help a lot in backrow, so it's better to have Voronkova instead - the only one decent option to replace Kosheleva) and Lyubushkina (Marichev gave up setting slides to MBs, so then Lyubushkina is useless :whistle: )

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• I think so too: the list of organisations demanding complete (and unfair and hardly juristically possible to many sportspeople from there without any doubt) exclusion of Russia from the Rio games is much too strong tilted to NATO countries and other allies of USA, which systematically confront Russia in sometimes even dangerous ways nowadays (safe for Switzerland, but this small country got also pressure by USA in times, for example regarding banking of the FIVB).

• I cant say Im shocked, but Im surprised Camila was cut. Not that Leia didnt deserve her spot.

I guess Zé will use Gabi in a double sub like in the Grand Prix Finals. Or He will only add Adenizis to block in some rotations. I cant honestly know how is Fabiola shape right now. I feel sorry for Roberta, she was actually playing well. But maybe he is not thinking about changing the roster much during the Games.